PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:07 pm      Post subject: Etymology of the Surname Wierzbowski

Hi All – I’ve been looking for the etymology of the surname Wierzbowski for a while, but have not found anything specific - so I’ve decided to try and work it out myself. Here are the sources I’ve used:

Wierzbowski is composed of the Polish root word [wierzba] meaning ‘willow (tree)’, and the compound suffix [-owski]. [-ow] is a suffix meaning ‘place’, and [-ski] is a suffix meaning ‘associated with’ or ‘pertaining to’ – Thus the literal meaning is “pertaining to the place of the willow trees”, or more simply; someone “from the willow grove”

I’m pretty confident this is correct, but would definitely appreciate any feedback or other suggestions and thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Chico -
Iwona Lubczyńska

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:27 pm      Post subject:

And what exactly do you want to find?
There are many forms of this name but each comes from a tree common in Poland called "willow".
It could be that your ancestor was nicknamed "Willow", from which arose the name:
can mean "son of Willow" - Wierzbowski (Polish grammar: Whose son? Wierzbowski, Wirzbickiego, etc. Wierzbicki important is the division: Wierzb-owski, Wierzb-icki etc.
English you say to Wierzb-ish,
somting like: Poland-polish, Wierzba- Wierzbowski (Wierzb-ish)

Place names also have their story, probably created it is associated with the tree, and from the name of the name of a man coming from the city:
It can also be the name of the town which came ancestor: Wierzbowski (Polish grammar: how? With which the earth came from? From the ground Wierzbowska) Something like a street of San Francisco. He is xxx, so it wierzbowskim peasant or bourgeois coming from the village of similar wording "Willow", for example Wierzbice, Wierzbic, Wierzba like. You have a link to a list of Polish village on the letter W. Unfortunately, it is impossible to determine a specific place where it can come from name .

http://miasta.mapa.panoramafirm.pl/?l=W
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: