PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 88

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:05 pm      Post subject: Death Record Translation

I have a death record for an individual who died in my great-great grandmother's house in 1855. I've tried to find a translation for this phrase and have been unable to do so. It is as follows:
Quote:
De nomine et cognomine ignota foemina (word unknown) diem

Would anyone have any idea what this means?? Confused

Thanks!
gandalf1369
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:04 pm      Post subject: Translation . . .

If I am remembering my high school Latin correctly, the phrase roughly translates to "The name and surname of the female is unknown". The last word of the Latin sentence "diem" means "day" - not sure how that would fit into the translation. Perhaps the "unknown word" would give us a clue . . .

Hope this helps.
Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
AIM
Lisa

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:17 pm      Post subject: Death Record

Thanks for your response. Your translation certainly makes sense to me!

Would it make sense that a poor peasant family living in a tiny village in Galicia would take in a stranger who was sick and dying? The village was so small - it'd seem to me that everyone knew each other...
gandalf1369
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:11 pm      Post subject: Not sure . . .

Hi Lisa,

Can't answer your question with any certainty - your logic makes sense. Perhaps the person was involved in an accident near your family's home?? Not sure if you will ever find out for sure.

In your original message you indicated that "unknown word" was part of the original notation. Is it unknown because you can't make it out or something else? Perhaps that would give you a clue . . .

Bob
Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
AIM
Lisa

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:02 pm      Post subject: Death Record

Hi Bob,

I can't make out the particular word in question. It's scribbled. The woman's age, though, was written in Latin as approximately 35 years, making the theory that she was involved in some type of accident a distinct possibility. Cause of death was listed as "ordinaria", but I've read that due to a lack of doctors in many of these villages, certain terms such as "ordinaria" were frequently used.

Thanks for your help!

Lisa Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: