PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 354

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:50 pm      Post subject: Okmianska surname

Hello my PO friends,

I was wondering if anyone here could help me in fndng out what the name Okmianska or actually Okmianski means?

I have had a hard time finding out anything about it.

Thanks,

Hugh

Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:51 pm      Post subject:

Hi Hugh,

Not that this is the last word in what is or is not a true Polish surname, but I like to go to http://www.herby.com.pl/indexslo.html and look up surnames to get a feel for how rare or common they are and to try to see alternative spellings. I do not see Okmianski there. If you do a search this way, putting Ok*ski in the search box so that the asterisk is acting as a wildcard, it will show you all the names that begin with "Ok..." and that end in "...ski" which shows some other possible spellings. For example, Okmiński and Okniański among many others. I hope this is helpful in expanding your search.

Best of luck,
Sophia
ossnhughie

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:01 pm      Post subject: Sophia thank you

This document was translated by someone from Russian cursive. When I typed in the name Okmianski it seemed to auto correct in the search engine to Ormianski. Do you know if the cyrillic cursive k and r look similar? if not it is probably different altogether. I am awaiting to see what Marcel's translation says the Wife Ewa's name is this document. You can look yourself (don't know if you read Russian)

Hugh

Dowiat 1816 census.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.17 MB
 Viewed:  4475 Time(s)

Dowiat 1816 census.jpg

Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:14 am      Post subject:

Hi Hugh,

Ormiański is a perfectly good name. I am, however, a little bit leery of what google tries to "correct" my search terms to. No, I do not read Russian. I will be interested to see how Marcelproust reads it; that should resolve things. I think it is really cool that you have a census record for your family from 1816! Just post-Napoleon....

Sophia
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:08 am      Post subject: Re: Sophia thank you

ossnhughie wrote:
This document was translated by someone from Russian cursive. When I typed in the name Okmianski it seemed to auto correct in the search engine to Ormianski. Do you know if the cyrillic cursive k and r look similar? if not it is probably different altogether. I am awaiting to see what Marcel's translation says the Wife Ewa's name is this document. You can look yourself (don't know if you read Russian)

Hugh

Hugh,

It is better to type the Cyrillic from this census record, and try to figure out native Polish spelling.
Search engines, automatic translate, all that stuff might be misleading.
Clearly in your case it suggests ... Armenia. Ormianski = from Armenia, Ormianin=Armenian.

Ewa's name is:
Охмянск + (suffix; suffix changes with declension and gender)

In Latin, making transliteration with my Polish background:
Ochmańsk (-ski /-ska in nominative, or -skich if family of)

Etymology from stankiewicze.com:
Ochmański - 1794 od niemieckich nazw osobowych Hofmann, Ofman, te od apelatywu Hofmann ‘dworzanin’; też od niemieckiej nazwy osobowej Ochmann
i.e. Ochmański is a possible Polish version of German name Hofmann; the name Hofmann being also used to designate 'dworzanin'='courtier'=a person who attends a royal court as a companion or adviser to the king or queen

It happens that when you search for Ochmański, one name dominates, Jerzy Ochmański, Polish historian, expert in Lithuania, researcher of the history of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the history of Russia, etc.

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerzy_Ochma%C5%84ski

Eventually, Ochmański is indeed Polish name:
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Ochma%C5%84ski

Best,
Elzbieta
ossnhughie

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:03 am      Post subject: Sophia and Elzbieta

Thank you both for your imputs. I happened upon on kresy.genealodzy on the metrics books for the same parish in the record from 1818 (not 1816 as i thought). In the DJVU format is found the metric books for Zejmy (Zeimiai) that cover the period from 1737-1772 (most of the pages are very legible in, it is also in Latin)

http://genealogija.lt/va/kriksto/Zeimiu_rgb/zeimiu_1769_1772.djvu

on page 13 of 48 the first entry for April of 1770 mentions a child born with a father named Okmianski. So If either of you ladies is able can you please verify that this is in fact as I read it. If it is in fact an Okmianski in Polish on a Latin document we can probably rule out the Ormianski option. I also think the chances this man is not somehow realted to Ewa is very remote. It is interesting to note that the 1818 census lists Jozef Dowiatt as belonging to the Szaty (Setos) Parish in 1795 and that it was in the Wiłkomierz (Ukmergė) Uyezd and not in the Kowno (Kaunas) Uyezd.

I noticed on the google map that Szaty is slightly to the north of Zejmy and are in the some district. In the past the dividing line must have been different in the area?

Thanks for your further input.

Hugh

ps I had one less question. Is there a way to print the djvu pages? My viewer does not offer the option to print the pages.

Send e-mail
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:34 pm      Post subject:

Problem solved, it is Okmianski. My hypothesis about Cyrillic to Latin transformation was innacurate in this case.

There is a town called Okmiany, https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okmiany_%28Litwa%29

Okmiany is in the old geography book:
http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_VII/425

With etymology of Okmiana:
http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_VII/424
Od litewskiego akmuo, gen. akmens – kamien, akmeninie – przestrzen kamienista; stanowi źródło słów nazw jak: Okmiana, Okmiany, Okmiance, Okmianka, Okmianiszki, Akmieninie, Antakmenel i inne
//
From the Lithuanian akmuo, gen. Akmens - stone, akmeninie – space of stones; a source of words, such as names like Okmiany, Okmiany, Okmiance, Okmianka, Okmianiszki, Akmieninie, Antakmenel and others

Re: printing - on my djvu reader I have in the left top corner an icon LIZARDTECH, then an icon for diskette, and on its right an icon of printer. It works, I get correct PDF.

Best,
Elzbieta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: