PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:51 pm      Post subject: origins on surname Chwatek

Please, can somebody help me find out where the surname Chwatek originates from? also, does anyone know what it means (if it does mean anything). and what city and or region does this surname come from? ive been looking for 3 years and there is zero information out there. any and all help and or knowledge is appreciated. thank you.
Philip
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 117

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:27 pm      Post subject: Re: origins on surname Chwatek

jccz wrote:
Please, can somebody help me find out where the surname Chwatek originates from? also, does anyone know what it means (if it does mean anything). and what city and or region does this surname come from? ive been looking for 3 years and there is zero information out there. any and all help and or knowledge is appreciated. thank you.

Hi,

are you sure the spelling is correct?
Chwatek could have been Kwatek or Czwatek, or something else...
It happened quite often that surnames changed over time.

But... there's something, if you go to the Metriki website you can find these results about Chwatek:

http://goo.gl/aerq5L

Bye
jccz

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:33 pm      Post subject:

Mr. Philip, thank you very much for the reply. this is my surname but I'm not sure if it got changed upon arrival to usa. I found a family tree that goes back to 1860 with the first entry being of this spelling. the link you sent is pretty incr dible, I will have to find out if any of them are in relation to my other family members. do you know how to go about finding the meaning and how to find out if any change was made to the spelling? thank you again very much
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:06 pm      Post subject:

I wonder if the name could possibly be Chwałek, with the Polish letter ł. At the Ellis Island site, I did see 12 immigrants with the indexed name of Chwatek, but when I looked at one of the manifests, the name looked like Chwalek to me ( I haven't seen the Polish letter ł written on a manifest . There were 115 with the name Chwalek.

On the Poland distribution map, there was no one with the surname Chwatek in 2002, there were 24 with the Chwalek surname, and 1828 with the Chwałek surname - https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Chwa%C5%82ek

When the ł is written in cursive, the line is often above and it could sometimes be mistaken for a T by someone who is only familiar with the English alphabet.

Do you have the immigration record for your Chwatek ancestor?
jccz

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:13 pm      Post subject:

Good Evening Ms. Cheri,
thank you for your very helpful message. I have heard this theory once about the polish letter looking like a T. I am copying and pasting the link to the only known family tree of mine. http://www.genealogy.com/ftm/b/o/w/Patricia-Bowen-Hudson/ODT1-0001.html I cant possibly imagine having 115 other people with the same name as mine, but if it is that, than I would be the happiest guy alive. I am studying Poland as of recently, is it possible for there to be other people with this Chwalek surname that are not related to me? meaning for example, in the usa a surname such as Smith guarantees thousands upon thousands of people who share a name but aren't related. so with polish surnames, is it a family name, or something that unrelated peoples can share? I don't know where to get immigration records unfortunately, this family tree is all that I have. my last living relative (grandfather Chester Chwatek) passed away and he was the last of the clan. is there a way to pursue this Chwalek possibility of being the original surname? cant possibly say thank you enough, these replies are really amazing
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:59 pm      Post subject:

I just took a look on Ancestry searching the name Andrew Chwatek. I don't have the World Edition, but I do see results from the record set "Poland, Tarnow District, Roman Catholic Diocese Church Records, 1612-1900" (which has a Family History Library microfilm numbers associated with it). There are many Chwatek's born in the 1850-1860s in Mędrzechów and Boleslaw. Both are just north of Tarnow and M & B are less than 2 miles apart. This is the information I am able to see for Michael Chwatek:
NAME: Michael Chwatek
BAPTISM DATE: 21 Sep 1862
BAPTISM PLACE: Mędrzechów, Mędrzechów, Kraków, Poland
HOUSE NUMBER: 35
PAGE NUMBER: 23
ENTRY NUMBER: 21
FHL FILM NUMBER: 1895996

Here is another one:
NAME: Michael Chwatek
BAPTISM DATE: 28 Sep 1857
BAPTISM PLACE: Bolesław, Bolesław, Kraków, Poland
HOUSE NUMBER: 9
PAGE NUMBER: 461
ENTRY NUMBER: 17
FHL FILM NUMBER: 1883359

Last edited by PolishLibrarian on Mon May 09, 2016 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
jccz

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:11 pm      Post subject:

Good Evening PolishLibrarian,
thank you for your help, and for your research. may I ask where Adam Chwatek came from? ive never seen this name but it looks like it could be a great opening. ive been told of one place where a chwatek came from which is the city of Baranow Sandomierski. now Boleslaw appears to be within a reasonable distance from this city so perhaps this could be a great thing. ive ust saved these two names and the info you wrote with them, and I will see if I can find out more about them. thank you for the help, this is encouraging.
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:22 pm      Post subject:

At familysearch I found a record for a birth where Michael Chwateh was the father from the FHL Film Number 1883359 (same film # as 2nd Michael in my previous post) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X5H4-HBR. Since there's no image linked to the record I'm thinking it's not possible to look at the images on the microfilm online at familysearch, but may be possible to borrow the microfilm for a small fee. Further searching showed that Mędrzechów is in Dąbrowa Tarnowska area which is marked Red in the Moikrewni map Cheri posted a link to. This is like finding a needle in a haystack - there's no guarantee this is the right needle, but could be a good possibility. Good luck. ~PL
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:30 pm      Post subject:

jccz wrote:
thank you for your help, and for your research. may I ask where Adam Chwatek came from?

My apologies - another typo (I originally spelled your surname wrong in the post), now I realize I said Adam when I meant Andrew. I edited my post to correct to Andrew. I didn't get any hits for Andrew, but there were many for the Chwatek surname in the Tarnow Church Record Books. As you'll see in my second post, at familysearch when I searched Michael Chwatek in those records I came up with a father and the name was indexed as Chwateh (close, a handwritten k could look like an h). There are no guarantees, but it's a possible lead. I also do not know if records from this region are available for searching or browsing through a Polish Archives website. Others here are more familiar with those sources in Poland. Hopefully someone will chime in. ~PL
jccz

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:47 pm      Post subject:

thank you again for the help. I have sent an email to the catholic church in the town to see if they have any records there of marriage, birth or anything. I am wondering if the name change will make it impossible to get deeper with this research, as I don't have anyone to update me on the possible original surname. thank you very much for your help.
looking for clues
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 122

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:50 pm      Post subject:

Hi jccz,
What is the name of the Chwatek ancestor that immigrated to the United States? Do you have appx birth and death dates? Any idea of the year he came or whether or not he was naturalized? Finding his immigration record could find additional clues as to where he was from.
mrpiano17

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:11 am      Post subject: Chwałek in Bolesław

I have quite a bit of research for Chwałek in area Bolesław area, but without specifics such as birthdates, marriage dates, etc., of your family I will not be able to help you confirm or rule out this area. Do you have any details on these family members that can narrow down the many that I have?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: