PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
DNA testing and Poland
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1000

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:18 pm      Post subject: DNA testing and Poland

My father and I want to do some DNA testing but before we spend the money, we want to understand whether the results will actually tell us anything. We've read the info on several DNA testing sites, but are still unsure which level of testing we should choose and what company we should submit our sample to. I have heard that 12 markers is too few to give meaningful information.

We've checked several areas and found that there are no DNA projects for our Polish surname, so we are very interested in choosing a Polish DNA project that will most benefit us.

I would like to hear from others who have submitted their DNA samples. What company did you use? Was your test limited to 12 markers, or did you choose more markers? Did you understand your results? Would you use this company again?

Finally, I am curious to know whether many people currently in Poland have chosen to test their DNA for family history purposes.

Please share your experiences with me!
Thanks,
Shellie
Lisa

Replies: 88

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:53 pm      Post subject: DNA Testing

Shellie!

My goodness! Your post just popped out at me!

I had a DNA test done in April 2008. I went through Ancestry.com. I was able to trace my ancestors back through my mom, her mom, HER mom, etc. I was provided with a map showing different points of origin for the female line in my mom's family. I didn't receive any exact data, just rough estimates.

As you already know, I'm trying to locate my great grandfather's father. In order to do investigate male line descendants i.e. your dad's family or your mom's dad's family, you need to go through the male line. A female descendant cannot do this. My impression is that if I were to ask one of my great grandfather's male line descendants (there are precious few) there's no guarantee I'd get exact results.

I don't have my results right in front of me but if you have any questions, feel free to send me an e-mail.

I, too, am interested to hear what kind of luck those who've taken the DNA test have had.

Lisa : )
prostowsky

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:38 pm      Post subject: DNA Testing

Here's the background of my tests:
Y-DNA 67 markers
mtDNA HVR1, HVR2
Autosomal DNA Print Genomics and DNA Tribes

Simple answer to your question: Am I any closer to finding my Polish ancestors prior to the last church records in 1823? NO!

What have I learned: I know my Y and mt haplogroups and the routes out of Africa that each group took into middle Europe. The route stops thousands of years ago. Until many, many more people in Poland (and the world) are tested the database will not advance.

Autosomal: This is a combination of paternal and maternal DNA. The results are accepted in court for paternity disbutes. Background: my mother's family goes back to 1650 in Germany; my father's family goes back to 1823 (have not found earlier records yet) in West Prussia. One autosomal test rated me as being 77% European. The latest from DNA Tribes indicated little or no European content, but indicates an admixture between European and Aboriginal Australia! Another part of their analysis indicated that my autosomal DNA resides in India! Go figure.

Where DNA testing is valuable is if the paper trail leads to a person with your surname but you aren't sure you are related. Both of you can do at Y-DNA test for men, or an mtDNA test for women. I highly recommend being tested at the Y-level of 67 markers, or at the HVR1 & 2. I also recommend FamilyTree DNA as the testing company. I have not had one match at even 25 Y-markers; hundreds of people have matched me at HVR1, but none in the HVR2 range. Other people have had much success, however. DNA testing is a very new but interesting scientific tool for genealogy. Just do it!

Paul
misty69

Replies: 25

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:08 pm      Post subject:

The best place to test your DNA is FTDNA. Just join the polish group. The administrator of this group is a native american with the polish orgin. There is promotion on tests until the 31 December
a) male: y-dna37 119$ and y-dna67 209$. If you chose y-dna37 later you can make upgrade to y-dna67. add 4-6$ for postage

b) female: Mtdna is not so value for genealogical purposes but if anybody is going to this, the best option is full mtdna test 279$ (then, there is no need to test anything more )

1. http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?Group=Polish
2. http://www.dna-forums.com/

DNA testing is becoming more popular in Poland but the prices are still too high for a common people and a lot of them aren't familiar with the possibilites of dna testing. I suspect a lot of people would be willing to be tested but they just don't even know that they could do it.

Genealogical enthusiasts know about DNA testing and a lot of them did their tests.

misty69
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:29 am      Post subject:

And what would you say if you found out that you were related to Nicolaus Copernicus Exclamation Question

This is what Carol learned from her mtdna test - click here for her comments: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=1076#1076

I am subscribed to the blog 'The Genetic Genealogist' (click here: http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com/ ) and I find it very useful in my gradual education in DNA Genealogy subject.

I recently found this article 'Technology helps unearth family trees' : http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/09/dna.families/ .

An abstract from the article:
"(...) About three months ago Kevin Shepherdson, a Eurasian in Singapore, discovered that his DNA matches strongly with Thomas Kurowski, a man of Polish descent living in Rhode Island.(...) Both of them research their family history as a hobby, but finding each other through traditional methods (such as sifting through census, marriage or property records) would have been unlikely if not impossible.(...)"

Last edited by Zenon on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
Lisa

Post Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:27 am      Post subject: DNA Testing

My maternal great-grandfather (i.e. my mother's mother's father) was born illegitimate. Is there any way to find out through DNA testing who my great-grandfather's father might be?
misty69

Post Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:35 pm      Post subject:

Lisa

Post Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:50 pm      Post subject:

Thanks for the info. This has certainly been an uphill battle!
carolt71

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:22 pm      Post subject: Family tree DNA special

Family tree DNA is running a special. I don't know how long is a on, however, you can get the entire mega test for 199 or 179. Check the web site because I'm not sure how long they were running it. They tell you once you get this test you don't need any more it's complete. Good luck! Carol
Send e-mail
Lisa

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:15 pm      Post subject:

I took a DNA test through Ancestry.com in 2007. Would that count for anything?? Or would I have to take the test all over again?
carolt71

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:52 pm      Post subject: DNA testing

I'm not really an expert in this area at all. What type of test take you have with ancestry? I would call family tree DNA in Texas and ask them. I'm sure they would let you know what they need. I know if he's had testing before it costs a little less, however, family tree DNA that all my testing. Good luck! As you can see you never know who your relatives really are. Good luck! Carol
PS the hard part is awaiting! Please excuse my mistakes but I have to use that word recognition system because I am disabled.
Send e-mail
misty69

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:55 pm      Post subject:

Lisa y-dna or mtdna? Ancestry database is small. They don't test fast mutating markers so I would say it's waste of money. The most comprehensive tests are offered by FTDNA and the prices are very competetive.
FTDNA
y-dna 67 marker test + if you wish aditional markers you can order them in "advanced orders"
full mtdna - 16.000,0 SNP
database - 272 341 DNA records
---------
169 995 Y-DNA records
102 346 mtDNA records

Prices
1. http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?Group=Polish
2. http://dna.ancestry.com/buyKitGoals.aspx

Ask Polish group administrator Lawrence Mayka Email: lgmayka {*} ieee.org or dna-forums.com
You are looking your maternal great-grandfather . It would be great If there were a possibility of testing your male cousin(s) who directly descends from him. Maybe 23andme would be helpful (399$)

misty69
carolt71

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:38 pm      Post subject: Family tree FTDNA Christmas special

Here is a special carol
The special is good until December 31. I tried to send the e-mail at the attached the announcement by the system would not take it. Y-DNA 37 119 N Y-DNA 67 209 I'll check for the mega announcement.
Send e-mail
misty69

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:43 pm      Post subject:

Lisa

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:33 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for forwarding this website. All information is greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, I'm particularly interested in learning the identity if my mother's maternal great-grandfather. Sadly, there are no males in the family who can take this DNA test. And so we must wait and hope that one day DNA testing will advance to the point where perhaps females can take the test and learn about their maternal grandfathers, great grandfathers, etc.

I remain optimistic!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Page 1 of 5

Jump to: