PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:46 am      Post subject: Back from our trip to Poland

Hello friends,
I just returned from our amazing trip to Poland. Truly, the Polish saying "A Guest in the House is God in the House" is so very true! I would like to give you the highlights, but want to begin by saying that the help from people on this board was so valuable in helping to make this about the most perfect family trip ever!

We were first hosted in Lutcza by my husband's second cousin who lives in Poland from April to Oct and has a huge home there. We visited the parishes, cemeteries and other highlights. I was the one who knew more than he did! My research found relatives in Blizne and he is excited to find out more and we met a few distant relatives when we visited their important historical wooden church.

My highlight was visiting Niwiska and Trzesn near Kolbuszowa. We had a local translator who lovingly drove us around. The family had a reunion in our honor and took us to meet many relatives, with a beautiful meal served each time. The mayor of Niwiska heard we were in the village and gave us a hand painted plate from the manor house where my grandfather had a been a laborer before he immigrated. I will write out many of the experiences and stories to share.

For a trip like this for the average American with Polish ancestors it is ESSENTIAL to hire a translator and driver. While the roads are okay, the signs and driving would have made our trip SO stressful if we went by ourselves and no relative other than a teenage could speak English well or really talk with us.

We hope to return soon (2017?) and want to go on the PO Galicia tour. We saw just one skansen but did not get to see many other important sites as family was the focus. A trip with Polish Origins is our next travel goal!

Donna
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Our Gen Stories, Websites and Blogs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: