PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 59

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:30 pm      Post subject: Castle Garden

My gr-grandfather entered this country through Castle Garden in 1871. I do have the one sheet, presumably the ship manifest but it shows very little, unlike some of the other ones I have (although they are a few years later). Is there anywhere one could find more information on those arriving at Castle Garden? Any other records with more info -- like where they're going or who to?
Appreciate your help.
Mary Pate Confused
Joyce925

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:52 pm      Post subject:

My great-grandfather came through Castle Garden in 1880 but I can't find any record of it. Any particular ways to search for this?
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:21 am      Post subject:

Hi Mary,

There certainly is a big difference in the amount of genealogically relevant information on passenger lists from different eras. It really was a result of laws changing over time, and what was required to be recorded. What you may find interesting is that earlier lists (basically 1891 and earlier) were Customs Lists, while later lists were Immigration Records. The cutoff year is confounded a bit by the fact that there was a huge fire in 1897 which destroyed Ellis Island records and so for certain years, Customs Lists (which were stored elsewhere and survived) become a substitute record for us to search when looking at the port of New York. Perhaps this more thorough explanation says it more clearly: http://www.genealogyandfamilyhistory.com/before-ellis-island-passenger-arrivals-at-castle-garden-new-york/ You can learn more about it by searching online for the history of Ellis Island, Castle Garden and the Barge Office.
The short answer to your question is that records of specifically where and to whom the early immigrants were going is not available.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
Mary Pate

Replies: 59

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:48 am      Post subject: Castle Garden

Thank you Sophia for the reply. I have manifests for both sets of my grandparents and they are on the page landscape. They came in 1900 and 1905, first through Ellis Island and second through Baltimore. Gr-Grandpa came thru Castle Garden in 1871 and it was portrait style paper (top to bottom). That would explain it if it was just a customs sheet. Sure wish there was more. I will share. He supposedly came over to his brother. The brother I can find nothing on. Something went wrong. He went back within a month of so of arriving, paying for his passage by being a fireman on the ship. This info I received from my mother's 1st cousin who lives in Poland.

As for wanting to find Castle Garden records, I think I found mine on Ancestry by googling my gr-grandpa's name.

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Emigration All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: