PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:45 am      Post subject: Stanislawa Laszcz from Bartnicki, Plock

Hi,
Stanislawa Laszcz is my great grandmother. I found the ship log from when she came to Adena, OH from Bartnicki, Plock, Russia, in 1910. So far I haven't been able to find her marriage info (in Ohio in or near Adena) to Andy Miloszewski. She went by Stella after arriving to the US. Her parents are listed as Anna and Jan, family lore has it Jan/her father was in Adena and had her come over to marry Andy when she was 15; (I think she lied about her age on the ship log-17). I don't think Anna/her mom ever left Poland, and I'm not sure if her dad/Jan went back to Poland.

So far I also haven't been able to find any more info about her parents, Jan and Anna. There is a family tree on MyHeritage that may be ours, but Jan's wife is listed as Ewa, not Anna. But Jan's immigration date to the US would fit the story, 1905.

Any help or suggestions on this family line would be appreciated!
Regards,
Cathy
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1022

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:10 am      Post subject: Re: Stanislawa Laszcz from Bartnicki, Plock

cmkocar23 wrote:
Hi,
Stanislawa Laszcz is my great grandmother. I found the ship log from when she came to Adena, OH from Bartnicki, Plock, Russia, in 1910. So far I haven't been able to find her marriage info (in Ohio in or near Adena) to Andy Miloszewski. She went by Stella after arriving to the US. Her parents are listed as Anna and Jan, family lore has it Jan/her father was in Adena and had her come over to marry Andy when she was 15; (I think she lied about her age on the ship log-17). I don't think Anna/her mom ever left Poland, and I'm not sure if her dad/Jan went back to Poland.

So far I also haven't been able to find any more info about her parents, Jan and Anna. There is a family tree on MyHeritage that may be ours, but Jan's wife is listed as Ewa, not Anna. But Jan's immigration date to the US would fit the story, 1905.

Regards,
Cathy

Hi Cathy,
I looked at her ship manifest, arriving in Philadelphia 24 August 1910 on the ship Breslau. While it does say that her last residence was Bartniki, and that her mother was still in Bartniki, Plock (hmm, there is rather some distance between those two places), the second page of the manifest gives her birthplace as "Warzaw". Looking for a birth record in a large city like Warsaw is a challenge. I did, however, look at Geneteka which brought me to a birth record for a Julia Łaszcz, born 1898 to a Jan and Anna Łaszcz (Anna's maiden name is given as Rogalska). Could be a coincidence. I am attaching a link here to that birth record, which is in Russian. If you post it to the Russian records translation thread, perhaps we will see some indication of where Jan or Anna were from, that is, to see if Plock or Bartniki show up. Julia is Birth 2180 (include that info when you ask for the translation).
https://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=1&zs=0179d&sy=1898b&kt=2&plik=2176-2181.jpg#zoom=1.5&x=3267&y=1390
I did not look for Bartniki records.
Best regards,
Sophia

Last edited by Sophia on Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:50 am      Post subject:

Hi again,
I see there is another Bartniki, this one about 3 miles from Przasnysz. The church for this Bartniki is in Przasnysz. Geneteka shows the death of a Jan Łaszcz there in 1927 (and another Jan Łaszcz in 1932) as well as Anna Łaszcz (nee Rogalska) in 1927.
https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=D&w=07mz&rid=D&search_lastname=%20%C5%81aszcz&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=&exac=1&rpp1=0&ordertable=[[0,%22desc%22]]&searchtable=&rpp2=50
I wonder if this is your Bartniki. But then Plock does not make sense.
Best regards,
Sophia
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4187

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:49 am      Post subject: Re: Stanislawa Laszcz from Bartnicki, Plock

cmkocar23 wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Cathy

Bartniki located in the parish of Przasnysz, in the governorate of Płock.
I see baptism certificate for Władysław Łaszcz, son of Jan and Anna nee Rogalska, dated 1905.
Jan Łaszcz and Anna Rogalska got married in 1890, in the parish of Przasnysz.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:19 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

Here is their marriage record from Ohio......

Confirms names of parents.

Best,
Cynthia

4BE9445C-8C9C-4860-8865-5478DAA86036.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.24 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

4BE9445C-8C9C-4860-8865-5478DAA86036.jpeg

Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:35 pm      Post subject:

Thanks, Marcel, for the explanation that Przasnysz was in the governorate of Plock. Cathy, during the time that your great-grandmother lived there, she lived in the Russian Partition, and it was divided into governorates (you will see the word as "gubernia") whereas today, it is Poland, which is divided into voivodeships (wojewodztwa) -- you may think of gubernias and wojewodztwa as the equivalent of provinces or states.
Cynthia, that's a great find, the application for a marriage license. Cathy, you'll see the clerk was a bit fuzzy on the names, including Miloszewski (leaving out the "ze" each time the name was written). The groom's parents are Konstanty (not Kostanty) and probably Teofila (not Leopila). I am saying this because the bride's mother's name is given there as "Anna Rozaliska" which does not exactly match the Anna Rogalska we are seeing in the Polish online records. If you were to find a record of the marriage from a church (presumably they married in a Polish church), you might get more accurate spellings of the names.
Now what we need is a birth record for Stanislawa herself, which will pull all of these details together.
Best,
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2780

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:03 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Thanks, Marcel, for the explanation that Przasnysz was in the governorate of Plock. Cathy, during the time that your great-grandmother lived there, she lived in the Russian Partition, and it was divided into governorates (you will see the word as "gubernia") whereas today, it is Poland, which is divided into voivodeships (wojewodztwa) -- you may think of gubernias and wojewodztwa as the equivalent of provinces or states.
Cynthia, that's a great find, the application for a marriage license. Cathy, you'll see the clerk was a bit fuzzy on the names, including Miloszewski (leaving out the "ze" each time the name was written). The groom's parents are Konstanty (not Kostanty) and probably Teofila (not Leopila). I am saying this because the bride's mother's name is given there as "Anna Rozaliska" which does not exactly match the Anna Rogalska we are seeing in the Polish online records. If you were to find a record of the marriage from a church (presumably they married in a Polish church), you might get more accurate spellings of the names.
Now what we need is a birth record for Stanislawa herself, which will pull all of these details together.
Best,
Sophia

Hi All,

The Polish (& only) RC parish in Adena is St. Casimir. Here is the contact info:
St. Casimir
221 Hanna Avenue, Adena, OH, 43901-7953
P: (740) 546-3463 | F: (740) 546-3763
[email protected]
The current pastor is Msgr John Kolesar. According Kruszka’s Historya Polska w Ameryce, the parish was founded in 1903 and the priest who officiated at the wedding, Rev. Anthony Wierciński, became the pastor in 1907, after he had recently arrived from Europe. The parish also had its own cemetery. Since the bride, groom and priest were all recent immigrants for whom Polish was their first language, the info entered into the parish marriage register would be about as accurate as anything you could find here in the US and should help confirm the direction the research in Poland should take.

The bride’s age on the civil marriage license would mean that she was born either in late 1891 or early 1892 which fits well with the marriage record of her parents which Marcel saw.

Cathy, I would suggest that if you request marriage info from St. Casimir’s you request a photo copy of the entry in the parish marriage register rather than a certificate. The entry in the register should include the data you need to move forward.

Wishing you success,

Dave
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:25 am      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
Sophia wrote:
Best,
Sophia

Hi All,

The Polish (& only) RC parish in Adena is St. Casimir. Here is the contact info:
St. Casimir
221 Hanna Avenue, Adena, OH, 43901-7953
P: (740) 546-3463 | F: (740) 546-3763
[email protected]
The current pastor is Msgr John Kolesar. According Kruszka’s Historya Polska w Ameryce, the parish was founded in 1903 and the priest who officiated at the wedding, Rev. Anthony Wierciński, became the pastor in 1907, after he had recently arrived from Europe. The parish also had its own cemetery. Since the bride, groom and priest were all recent immigrants for whom Polish was their first language, the info entered into the parish marriage register would be about as accurate as anything you could find here in the US and should help confirm the direction the research in Poland should take.

The bride’s age on the civil marriage license would mean that she was born either in late 1891 or early 1892 which fits well with the marriage record of her parents which Marcel saw.

Cathy, I would suggest that if you request marriage info from St. Casimir’s you request a photo copy of the entry in the parish marriage register rather than a certificate. The entry in the register should include the data you need to move forward.

Wishing you success,

Dave

I have checked baptism records of the Przasnysz parish. I checked the dates 1890-1900 and there was no baptism record for Stanisława Łaszcz.

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:43 am      Post subject:

marcelproust wrote:

I have checked baptism records of the Przasnysz parish. I checked the dates 1890-1900 and there was no baptism record for Stanisława Łaszcz.

Hi Marcel,
However, Stanislawa's ship manifest said, her place of birth was Warsaw.
Also, you see she had a sister Julia born in Warsaw in 1898 (see the link I posted to the image, yesterday, with parents Jan Laszcz and Anna Rogalska).
The church is Warszawa-Wola sw. Stanislaw.
Are you able to check 1890-1900 in that church?
Best regards,
Sophia
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:24 pm      Post subject:

Hello all,

I did some looking around in Geneteka for the family of Jan Laszcz and Anna Rogalska. If this is Cathy’s Family, it will not be easy to track Stanislawa because it seems they moved around quite a bit. Here is a list of the family and locations of events:

1890 jan and Anna marred in Przasnysz (Geneteka)
1891 Franciszek born in Rembielin, Krzynowolga Wola (Geneteka)
1898 Julia born in Warszawa-Wola (Geneteka)
1901 Eugeniusz born in Warszawa - Wola (Geneteka)
1903 Stanislaw Born in Warszawa-Wola (Geneteka)
1905 Wladyslaw born in Bartniki, Przasnysz (Geneteka)
1905 Jan (father) immigrates ? to US last residence Nuzewo, Ciechanow (I think I found his passenger list)
1910 Stanislawa immigrates to US to be with her father, Residence listed as Bartniki, Przasnysz
1918 Julia married in Przasnysz (Geneteka)
1924 Stanislaw married in Krasnosielc Sielc (Geneteka)
1924 Wladyslaw married in Krasnosielc Sielc (Geneteka)

Hope this list can at least provide some target areas.
Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:15 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
marcelproust wrote:

Hi Marcel,
Also, you see she had a sister Julia born in Warsaw in 1898 (see the link I posted to the image, yesterday, with parents Jan Laszcz and Anna Rogalska).
Best regards,
Sophia

I have cheked it and ther was no baptism record for Stanisława Laszcz in this parish.

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:11 pm      Post subject:

marcelproust wrote:
Sophia wrote:
marcelproust wrote:

Hi Marcel,
Best regards,
Sophia

I have cheked it and ther was no baptism record for Stanisława Laszcz in this parish.

Thanks, Marcel.
So it is still a mystery.
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:18 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello all,

I did some looking around in Geneteka for the family of Jan Laszcz and Anna Rogalska. If this is Cathy’s Family, it will not be easy to track Stanislawa because it seems they moved around quite a bit. Here is a list of the family and locations of events:

1890 jan and Anna marred in Przasnysz (Geneteka)
1891 Franciszek born in Rembielin, Krzynowolga Wola (Geneteka)
1898 Julia born in Warszawa-Wola (Geneteka)
1901 Eugeniusz born in Warszawa - Wola (Geneteka)
1903 Stanislaw Born in Warszawa-Wola (Geneteka)
1905 Wladyslaw born in Bartniki, Przasnysz (Geneteka)
1905 Jan (father) immigrates ? to US last residence Nuzewo, Ciechanow (I think I found his passenger list)
1910 Stanislawa immigrates to US to be with her father, Residence listed as Bartniki, Przasnysz
1918 Julia married in Przasnysz (Geneteka)
1924 Stanislaw married in Krasnosielc Sielc (Geneteka)
1924 Wladyslaw married in Krasnosielc Sielc (Geneteka)

Hope this list can at least provide some target areas.
Best,
Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,
This timeline is brilliant. You get the sense that when it was decided that Jan (father) would emigrate, Anna (mother) took the kids back to Bartniki which was presumably her home town, given that marriages happened in the church of the bride and that is where they had married.
Your timeline gives a nice clear window of years, between the births of Franciszek and Julia, where we expect to find Stanislawa's birth. Now we need a lucky break on finding the right church records to look in.
Best,
Sophia
cmkocar23

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:04 pm      Post subject:

wow-that is really helpful and remarkable information you all found!!
Not that it will help figure out where Stanislawa's birth records are , but I did find Franciszek's immigration ship log in 1907...he came to the US after his dad, but before Stanislawa.
I'm amazed to see all her siblings! I wonder what happened to their families during the war.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: