PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:15 am      Post subject: Schumelowski Ruszchowski Families Chicago

Hi All,

I am currently researching my Schumelowski family and I am looking for information regarding Johann/John Schumelowski and his wife Marianna Ruszchowski. They traveled with their 2 sons to New York from Hamburg via Hull in Nov 1872. The family originated in Gross Schönbrük today Sezmbruk near Lasin. I have found the family in the 1880 census with more children born in Chicago. It seems one line of the family started using the name Schumm. I think that Johanns wife died in about 1889 and he may have remarried a woman named Antonia Salawski. I am particularly interested in finding the names of Johann's parents. But I haven't been able to find a death for him. But also to know what happend to the children. Johann is said to be buried in the Chicago Polish Cemetery but that seems a very broad discription. Any tip or help would be greatly appreciated.

Warm regards
Michelle
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:43 am      Post subject: Re: Schumelowski Ruszchowski Families Chicago

Mish231 wrote:
Hi All,

I am currently researching my Schumelowski family and I am looking for information regarding Johann/John Schumelowski and his wife Marianna Ruszchowski. They traveled with their 2 sons to New York from Hamburg via Hull in Nov 1872. The family originated in Gross Schönbrük today Sezmbruk near Lasin. I have found the family in the 1880 census with more children born in Chicago. It seems one line of the family started using the name Schumm. I think that Johanns wife died in about 1889 and he may have remarried a woman named Antonia Salawski. I am particularly interested in finding the names of Johann's parents. But I haven't been able to find a death for him. But also to know what happend to the children. Johann is said to be buried in the Chicago Polish Cemetery but that seems a very broad discription. Any tip or help would be greatly appreciated.

Warm regards
Michelle

Hi Michelle,

The correct Polish spelling of John/Jan/Johann's surname is Szumilowski (with the diacritic on the l) and Marianna's surname is spelled Ruszkowska. The spelling on the census was the way the enumerator (William Bohn) thought it should be spelled. John/Jan died on April 24, 1896 and the Polish Cemetery in which he was buried is Saint Adalbert Cemetery (located on the far Northwest side on the border of Chicago and Niles). In the late 1800's it was simply called the Polish Cemetery because it was the only cemetery on the North Side where Polish Catholics were buried. His funeral took place at St. Stanislaus Kostka parish in Chicago.

John's parents were Tomasz/Thomas Szumilowski and Anna nee Wisniewska. His wife Marianna died in February of either 1888 or 1889 (the two records do not agree). He married Antonina/Antoinette Zalewska, a widow. maiden name Rynkowska, at St. Stanislaus Kostka on May 14, 1889. One of the witnesses for the marriage was Franciszek Ruszkowski, who apparently is the brother of his late wife who appears in the 1880 Census as Franz Ruschkowski. He almost married a woman by the name of Joanna in the same parish in the same year but evidently the marriage plans fell through since there is a notation at the end of the banns stating that nothing came of the arrangements.

Attached are the three records and a map of the area where he lived in 1880. George Street was renamed Chestnut St. in 1909 and the address changed from 70 to 872 when the street numbering system was reformed. When he remarried he lived on Hoyt Street which was in the same Polish neighborhood on the near North side of Chicago. The records also list his parents and the place where he was born. The death record also gives the parish where he was baptized, but since he was not the one providing the info it may or may not be accurate. The info in the death record does not always correspond to the headings of the columns. Place of Birth = Parents; Disease = Place of Birth; Priest = Address/Place of Death; and Cemetery = Priest who officiated at the funeral.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

death jan szumilowski (3).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  936.29 KB
 Viewed:  5095 Time(s)

death jan szumilowski (3).jpg

jan szumilowski & antonina Zalewska.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.04 MB

jan szumilowski & antonina Zalewska.jpg

jan szumilowski & Joanna no marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.07 MB

jan szumilowski & Joanna no marriage.jpg

george st..JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  283.94 KB

george st..JPG

Last edited by dnowicki on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:33 pm      Post subject: Death of Marianna

Hi again, Michelle,

Marianna died on February 23, 1889. Her parents were Pawel/Paul Roszkowski & Agata/Agatha nee Kaniecka. The file is too large to attach as one so it is separated into 2 pages. She was born in 1848 and her husband was the informant for the record.

Dave

death Maryanna Szumilowska page1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.12 MB

death Maryanna Szumilowska page1.jpg

death Maryanna Szumilowska page2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.3 MB

death Maryanna Szumilowska page2.jpg

Mish231

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:42 am      Post subject:

Thank you so much for this. It has been a great help. And I have found the records for Jan's birth in Grutta. I am going to go back to the records at the LDS and see if I can get further. Once again many thanks Michelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: