PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:22 am      Post subject: Immigration data on surname Yadlowsky

Hi all,
My name is Edward Yadlowsky. I had an Aunt Justina and Uncles Mitro(1910) and Frank(1913) who were born in Wislok, Poland and immigrated to the United States through the port of Ellis Island on the dates shown. My Dad John(or Ewan/Ivan) immigrated to Canada in 1926 through the port of Quebec. I have not been able to find any information about their entry into the New World on the various genealogy sites I have searched, even though there is a plaque commemorating my Uncle Mitro at the Ellis Island Wall of Honor. Is it possible the Ellis Island data has not been digitized for the early 1900's that I can access on the internet? Any help would be appreciated.

Ed Yadlowsky
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:43 am      Post subject:

Hello Ed.

If you look for ellisisland manifests, i found ones for Mytro and Wasyl. Their surname were Jodlowski (Jodłowski). Mytro was leaving Ivan, who stayed in Poland. Wasyl was going to friend Iwan Hryczko. Wasyl companion on the list was Michał Syrko.

Wisłoka is the name for the river in Galicja. Right name of the village would be Wisłok Wielki http://www.apokryfruski.org/kultura/lemkowszczyzna/wislok-wielki/ Mytro was described as Ruthenian, so he might been kind of greekcatholic or unites faith, and Łemko as ethicity. Above link contains also link to pdf - master thesis about history of Wisłok Wielki. Its in Ukrainian language so any Jodłowski would be in ukrainian cyrilic.

I will search for others on EI.
Ed Yadlowsky

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:48 pm      Post subject:

Hi Strdan.
I have not been able to duplicate your results. What is the exact site you went to? I seem to think the Ellis Island records have not been digitized and put on line before 1920.
I love the information on Wislok but do not understand Polish. To bad our Polish priest left three weeks ago.
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:51 pm      Post subject:

Hello Ed
All manifests i found are on http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/ , they are available free to view. All manifests are scanned and published, i know some of records burned in fire, but dont know what years. But for early 1900's years are available.

It looks like Originally your surname was Jodłowski written in polish form. On the site, after signing, you can enter different forms of your surname to get different results. People transcribing written text to computer did not speak polish, so different forms exists. Yodlovsky when pronounced by english man sounds very close to Jodlowski pronounced by polish man.

Here is some in english about Wisłok Wielki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wis%C5%82ok_Wielki and there are google translate services that may be helping in translating polish text to english.

And now, here are the direct llinks to ship records of Your ancestors, i didnt find Franciszek though Sad, he may come from other village?

Justynka Jodłowska arrived 1905, her real name is Justyna, Justynka means little Justyna. Many people were coming from Wisłok with her
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger-details/czoxMjoiMTAyNDM2MDIwNzQyIjs=/czo5OiJwYXNzZW5nZXIiOw==

Mytro Jodłowski
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger-details/czoxMjoiMTAxMzg1MDcwMDg1Ijs=/czo5OiJwYXNzZW5nZXIiOw==

Wasyl Jodłowski, arrived 1906, not sure how is he related to others, but he is also from Wisłok Wielki
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger-details/czoxMjoiMTAyMzIyMTIwMDk5Ijs=/czo5OiJwYXNzZW5nZXIiOw==

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Tina Ellis

Replies: 74

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:34 am      Post subject:

If you use stevemorse.org to search the Ellis Island index, there are more parameters you can use. I use the Gold Form. I like this site because you can also search by the place where they were born. Smile

Tina Ellis
[email protected]
Send e-mail
Ed Yadlowsky

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:58 pm      Post subject:

Hello Sirdan,
Thank you so much for your successful search and new results. I can not thank you enough.
Ed Yadlowsky
Tina Ellis

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:44 pm      Post subject:

You are very welsome.
Send e-mail
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:38 am      Post subject:

Ed, im happy too you found documents you searched.

I extensively searched for Franciszek on ellisisland, but could find him. He might come through different port, or through canada.
Tina Ellis

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:48 am      Post subject:

Does this mean you tried the Australian State Archives for ship manifests and citizenship papers?
Send e-mail
Ed Yadlowsky

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:05 pm      Post subject:

Dear Tina,
I did not since my father John/Ewan/Ivan Yadlowsky came through Quebec, Canada. He told me he came on the ship Melita in May of 1926. His name was not on the cabin passenger list for a June sailing but I could not find a list for 2nd class or steerage class passengers. I can not believe the ship only carried cabin class. Again, I could not find any immigration statistics on him in Canadian archives. Any thoughts?
I am also trying to get cadastral maps of his home town of Wislok Gorny. I could not locate a digitized version on the geshergalicia site.
Thanks,
Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: