PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 19

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:42 am      Post subject: Birth Record from Parafia Żuraw

I have information about one of my ancestors which is a bit incomplete, and I don't know about his siblings and ancestors.

The information I have is pretty specific and comes from a gedcom file passed on to me. It kind of suggests to me that a birth record must exist or another record where this was inferred from.

Antoni Braxator
Born 1780, Wola Mokrzeska, Parafia Żuraw.
Died 1844, Pratkowice Wielgomłyny, Lodzkie.

Any idea on how I can get a birth record for free or relatively cheaply? In the past I've used researchers that wound up costing me quite a packet and only some of the information was really needed to connect it to information freely available online, but I wound up having to pay for all of that extra info I could have easily found myself as well, so I'd like to take my research in smaller steps from now on, especially if it involves any expenses.

Any advice welcome, thank you.
vbstar2010
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 291

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:07 pm      Post subject: Re: Birth Record from Parafia Żuraw

braksator wrote:
I have information about one of my ancestors which is a bit incomplete, and I don't know about his siblings and ancestors.

The information I have is pretty specific and comes from a gedcom file passed on to me. It kind of suggests to me that a birth record must exist or another record where this was inferred from.

Antoni Braxator
Born 1780, Wola Mokrzeska, Parafia Żuraw.
Died 1844, Pratkowice Wielgomłyny, Lodzkie.

Any idea on how I can get a birth record for free or relatively cheaply? In the past I've used researchers that wound up costing me quite a packet and only some of the information was really needed to connect it to information freely available online, but I wound up having to pay for all of that extra info I could have easily found myself as well, so I'd like to take my research in smaller steps from now on, especially if it involves any expenses.

Any advice welcome, thank you.

Here are some links you may find useful:

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2115410

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=66258&query=%2Bplace%3A%22Poland%2C%20Katowice%2C%20%C5%BBuraw%20(Cz%C4%99stochowa)%22&subjectsOpen=420225-50

http://www.lostshoebox.com/poland/online-records/
braksator

Replies: 19

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:54 pm      Post subject:

Thanks for the reply, I am familiar with those sites already and haven't had much luck. The online Częstochowa Roman Catholic Church Books don't go back before 1788.

I might be able to find a Marriage record that sheds some light, he was married twice, but I don't know where or when. Perhaps I should start with finding the death record in Pratkowice if there is one, but it seems unlikely I could learn more about his siblings and ancestors from that one.

I've looked on lostshoebox before, having found the link here in this forum, but unless I'm missing something it is just a directory of links to other websites. Most archives aren't text searchable making things quite difficult I suppose unless you really know what you're doing, and deciphering old records (particularly if they are Russian or Latin) is a very slow process for me so simply browsing through them is very difficult (I'm likely to wizz right by the record I want) unless I can really narrow down the time and place. Obviously I haven't had much success following the trail via that site, however, I could certainly spend more time there. I do feel like I might be missing something in terms of knowledge on how to use these resources effectively.

I have seen family tree entries for other Braxators in the nearby town of Przyrow dating back to around the 1740s, so there must be a way to get these records. Ideally I would like to link up my tree to those people Smile

I suspect this quest may involve someone physically checking old church records which aren't online or searchable yet. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: