PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:45 pm      Post subject: Help locating church records for Dzianisz

Hi - My ancestors were from the village of Dzianisz, not far from Zakopane. Can someone tell me if the church records for the village have been made available to the public? Is there an archdiocese or archive where they might be held? I know they aren't indexed on FamilySearch, but is there perhaps an un-indexed set of records for the town that the LDS library holds that I could acquire?

Any advice is appreciated.
Gregory
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:33 pm      Post subject: Re: Help locating church records for Dzianisz

ghruska wrote:
Hi - My ancestors were from the village of Dzianisz, not far from Zakopane. Can someone tell me if the church records for the village have been made available to the public? Is there an archdiocese or archive where they might be held? I know they aren't indexed on FamilySearch, but is there perhaps an un-indexed set of records for the town that the LDS library holds that I could acquire?

Any advice is appreciated.
Gregory

Gregory,

It appears that the only records from Dzianisz which are held in Polish National Archives are births, marriages, and deaths for the years 1890-1900. They are held by the Archive in Krakow in the Branch in Nowy Sacz. According to the attached excerpt from the Skorowidz miejscowosci..... from the early 1930s the parish for Dzianisz is Chocholow. (The far right column shows the parish to which a village belonged.) Perhaps your best bet would be to contact the parish directly.

Wishing you success,

Dave

dzianisz.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.59 KB
 Viewed:  10883 Time(s)

dzianisz.JPG

ghruska

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:46 am      Post subject:

Thank you for the speedy response. Not what I was hoping to hear, but good to know. I have the address of the church in Dzianisz from another post, but I'm afraid the scope of what I'm looking for in their records may exceed their willingness to pour through their records for me. Last year local authors published a book called Genalogia Dzianisza which looks like it would be very helpful to me based on their online index, but when I emailed about purchasing a copy and having it shipped to the U.S. I received no response. Here's the link to the page promoting their book.

http://www.krzeptowski.pl/wydawnictwo/index.php
Magdalena
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:19 pm      Post subject:

Gregory,

I emailed to "Krzeptowscy" and asked about the book you are interested. I will let you know if they answer me. Maybe your email just got lost somewhere, or they didn't answer you because there was a language barrier.
ghruska

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:10 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much Magdalena. I sure hope you have better look reaching them than I did.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:04 pm      Post subject:

ghruska wrote:
Thank you for the speedy response. Not what I was hoping to hear, but good to know. I have the address of the church in Dzianisz from another post, but I'm afraid the scope of what I'm looking for in their records may exceed their willingness to pour through their records for me. Last year local authors published a book called Genalogia Dzianisza which looks like it would be very helpful to me based on their online index, but when I emailed about purchasing a copy and having it shipped to the U.S. I received no response. Here's the link to the page promoting their book.

http://www.krzeptowski.pl/wydawnictwo/index.php

Gregory,

The book looks like it should provide you with summaries of individuals, but not the actual primary source records. It should give you a good idea of which actual primary source records you would need. Just as a point of info...Dzianisz has only had a parish church since the 1930s. From 1817 until that time Dzianisz belonged to the parish of Chocholow and prior to 1817 it was part of the parish of Czarny Dunajec. If you ever decide to request copies of the actual records it would be necessary to determine which parish currently holds the records for the various time periods.

Best of luck,

Dave

dzianisz.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.23 KB

dzianisz.JPG

ghruska

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:33 pm      Post subject:

Thanks for the info about the churches Dave, that is extremely helpful. I would have definitely reached out to the wrong one for my needs. I have the address of the church in Dzianisz. Do you happen to know the name of the parish in Chocholow?

I think I'm aware of what I'm in for with regard to the Dzianisz book, but their comprehensive index has so many names that I recognize as family but can't exactly put together that I'm hoping that it will help me make those connections. It's certainly worth the investment for me to find out. I appreciate the heads-up about it not being a primary source though. If it's just a jumping off point, I'm ok with that for now.

Best,
Gregory
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:47 pm      Post subject:

ghruska wrote:
Thanks for the info about the churches Dave, that is extremely helpful. I would have definitely reached out to the wrong one for my needs. I have the address of the church in Dzianisz. Do you happen to know the name of the parish in Chocholow?

I think I'm aware of what I'm in for with regard to the Dzianisz book, but their comprehensive index has so many names that I recognize as family but can't exactly put together that I'm hoping that it will help me make those connections. It's certainly worth the investment for me to find out. I appreciate the heads-up about it not being a primary source though. If it's just a jumping off point, I'm ok with that for now.

Best,
Gregory

Gregory,

The parish church in Chocholow is sw. Jacka. Sw. Jacek is Saint Hyacinth in English. Attached is the contact info for that parish and for the parish in Czarny Dunajec.

Galicia is not the area of Poland where my ancestors lived so my experience with records from the area is limited to providing translations of Latin records and helping friends with their research. I'm not sure where records end up being kept when a new parish is formed but I imagine that they would have been kept in the archive of the parish which created them, but I could very well be wrong on that score. The reason I say that is because I seem to recall that parishes which took care of more than one village kept each year's records either in separate volumes for each village or in separate sections of one volume. Anyway, I suppose that the best thing to do when you get to the point where you want copies of the actual records would be to contact one of the parishes with that question. Perhaps someone researching ancestry in Galicia would be able to tell you what is the usual practice.

Wishing you success,

Dave

par..JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.34 KB

par..JPG

Magdalena
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:08 am      Post subject:

Magdalena wrote:
Gregory,

I emailed to "Krzeptowscy" and asked about the book you are interested. I will let you know if they answer me. Maybe your email just got lost somewhere, or they didn't answer you because there was a language barrier.

Gregory,
I received an answer from the editor of "Genealogia Dzianisza".
Unfortunately, the whole edition was distributed among local people, and they do not have any copy for sale.
ghruska

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:47 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for that information Magdalena. That is very disappointing news, but I appreciate that you wrote back to let me know. It's very frustrating because i can tell from the index that there is information in the book that I know will be useful to me.

I'm sorry to impose on your kindness again, but would you be willing to ask them if they could send me the images for just a few pages in the book? I would be happy to compensate them for their time if they require it. From the index, I think there are about 4 or 5 pages total that would cover most of what I need.
Magdalena
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:24 pm      Post subject:

Gregory,

No problem.
Tell me what you exactly need and I will try to help you Smile
ghruska

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:59 pm      Post subject:

Magdalena - Thank you so much for your offer to help out.

Ideally I would love to purchase a full copy of the book from them, even if it is just an electronic version as a Word document or something like that. It is definitely the information that I am interested in, and not the object itself.

If that is not possible, the pages that I know contain information about my family are 15, 93, 101, 102, 111, 112, 173, 284 and 300. Having access to the information on any or all of those pages would be a great start. Of those, 93, 101-102 and 111-112 seem to have the most names I recognize.

Thanks again,
Gregory
Magdalena
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:25 am      Post subject:

Gregory,

I have just sent an email to Krzeptowscy. I will let you know the answer when only I receive it.
mturnage11

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:35 am      Post subject:

ghruska wrote:
Magdalena - Thank you so much for your offer to help out.

Ideally I would love to purchase a full copy of the book from them, even if it is just an electronic version as a Word document or something like that. It is definitely the information that I am interested in, and not the object itself.

If that is not possible, the pages that I know contain information about my family are 15, 93, 101, 102, 111, 112, 173, 284 and 300. Having access to the information on any or all of those pages would be a great start. Of those, 93, 101-102 and 111-112 seem to have the most names I recognize.

Thanks again,
Gregory
Magdalena
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:17 pm      Post subject:

Magdalena wrote:
Gregory,

I have just sent an email to Krzeptowscy. I will let you know the answer when only I receive it.

Hello Gregory,

I have got good news for you.
There is no possibility to get a digital version of the book, but there is someone who possibly could sell you his own paper version.
To get it you should write an email by yourself.
I will send you address in a private message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: