PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:12 pm      Post subject:

The Conference of Ambassadors voted to change the Slovak/Polish border in 1920. They turned over 30 villages to Poland. Part of the rationale that Poland used when it took part of old Orava county and old Spis county was that the people spoke a dialect that was closer to Polish. This was true. However, the people claimed that they were Slovak. Within the next ten years, a third of population went to Czechoslovakia.

My mother and her family from Pekelnik, spoke the dialect. My father's family from the Stropko and Presov area in Slovakia, laughed about her Polish-Slovak speech. Yet, they understood each other.

Consider that standardized language was not the norm of the previous 1000 years of Hungarian history of these lands. Tribes and clans moved or were moved to and from the area. Dialects developed from the Ukraine, throughout Southern Poland, Carpathian villages, along the mountain passes, and river valleys of Upper Hungary. Researching records in Upper Hungary (present day Slovakia) I have found numerous incidences of the scribe, the parish priest, writing names that were definitely "Polish." It was also a two-way street, Slovaks (Hungarians) moved freely into Polish (Galician) lands.

Interesting place, this central European area!
Carolyn
Mary Huhns

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:32 pm      Post subject:

I have numerous old family letters written from about 1901 to 1910 from Piekielnik to family in the US. I have tried and found only limited success in getting them translated. I have been told they are Slavic with some Ukraine (Russian) and Polish. Does anyone know of a translator for this dialect?
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1000

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:59 pm      Post subject:

Mary Huhns wrote:
I have numerous old family letters written from about 1901 to 1910 from Piekielnik to family in the US. I have tried and found only limited success in getting them translated. I have been told they are Slavic with some Ukraine (Russian) and Polish. Does anyone know of a translator for this dialect?

Mary,
Would you consider scanning one of your letters and posting it here? Maybe someone can provide some help.

Also, can you tell us more about your family? Maybe we can make some connections.
Mary Huhns

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:56 am      Post subject: Old letters

I will try to attach photos of some of the return addresses on the old envelopes. My grandfather, Janos Buron, born 15 June 1885 in Pekelnik, arrived in the US in 1902. He maried Veronika(Verona) Pyrok (Pirok etc). Names on old documents include variations of Kulasik, Cisar, Julija Kos, Jan Gerviski. I am not sure of there relationship or connections. I have many receipts for money sent from Janos Buron to Cisar so I believe there is a family relationship. Janos Buron and his wife both died when my father was 2 years old and he was raised in a Catholic orphanage near Chicago. His older sister had these old letters and some legal documents from Hungary and I acquired them when she died.

letter4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  595.29 KB
 Viewed:  9492 Time(s)

letter4.jpg

letter3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  695.2 KB

letter3.jpg

letter2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  752.47 KB
 Viewed:  9494 Time(s)

letter2.jpg

letter1B.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  970.85 KB

letter1B.jpg

letter1A.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  752.6 KB
 Viewed:  9494 Time(s)

letter1A.jpg

drichlik

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:40 pm      Post subject: Rychlik and Richlik

Hello, if anyone has any information on the Rychlik family from Piekielnik, I would love to hear from you. My grandfather, Josef Rychlik came to Chicago from Piekielnik around 1901. His wife, Mary (Marya) Cabala or Czbala came from the same town. They were slovak although my grandfather also knew Polish and German. Any information is appreciated! Regards, Doreen Richlik Gregori ([email protected])
Tom from Piekielnik

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:41 pm      Post subject:

Hello everyone. My name is Tomasz (Tom). I was born in Piekielnik Poland, and live there for 18 years. Maybe I can help.
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:19 pm      Post subject:

Tom from Piekielnik wrote:
Hello everyone. My name is Tomasz (Tom). I was born in Piekielnik Poland, and live there for 18 years. Maybe I can help.

Hi Tom! It is so nice to have a member here who lived in Piekielnik! Do you still live in Piekielnik?
bkitchell

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:00 pm      Post subject: Buron grave photos

I just happened upon this amazing website. My mother's parents were from Pekelnik. There name was Buron. I also happen to live in Atlanta area (Marietta) - what a coincidence.

Regards,
Bruce Kitchell
Shellie

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:15 pm      Post subject:

Hi Bruce! I'm glad you are here. Every time we get another person here with a connection to Piekielnik, we learn more about the village. Maybe you will find some common family with our other members here with Buron ancestors. I'm happy to know I'm not alone in Atlanta!
gtoth01

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:11 am      Post subject: My mother's family...

Hi folks! I'm a Hungarian, and currently living in Hungary. My mother's surname is Malata, and her great-great grandfather has came from Piekielnik, present day at Poland. He moved to central Hungary at the middle of the 19. century, when the area has belonged to Hungary. He was an expert agronomist and became relatively successful here. As much as I know his nationality was Slovak. Everybody in this area (and perhaps in Hungary) who has the name Malata is a descendant of him. I would be very interested to know if there are still Malatas living in Piekielnik. Perhaps I would like to visit them there. (As it's only a few hours of drive with car.) So, if you are a Malata from or at Piekielnik please contact me. Would be interesting to know what happened with the rest of the Malata family there.
Visit poster's website
Rohde203

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:19 pm      Post subject:

Shellie,
Thanks for posting you pictures of the headstones. You had one with the surname I am looking for FLOREK! We are planning a trip there this fall.
Rohde203

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:51 pm      Post subject: Re: Rychlik and Richlik

drichlik wrote:
Hello, if anyone has any information on the Rychlik family from Piekielnik, I would love to hear from you. My grandfather, Josef Rychlik came to Chicago from Piekielnik around 1901. His wife, Mary (Marya) Cabala or Czbala came from the same town. They were slovak although my grandfather also knew Polish and German. Any information is appreciated! Regards, Doreen Richlik Gregori ([email protected])

Doreen,
Your Grandparents were god parents to my Grandmother Mary Florek, and my Uncle Joesph Florek. They lived in Chicago.
JOEP

Replies: 24

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:00 pm      Post subject:

Ellis Island site shows arrival of Richlik, Josef Pekelnik, Hungary 18 yrs old, born 1890, arrived 1908.

The site also shows arrival of Czabala, Marija Pekelnik, 20 yrs old, born 1881, arrived 1901.

Arrival of Czabala, Anna, Pekelnik, 17 yrs old, born 1887, arrived 1904.

Good site to use for lookup is Morse's at http://www.stevemorse.org/

Joe in Texas
Send e-mail
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:08 pm      Post subject:

Rohde203 wrote:
Shellie,
Thanks for posting you pictures of the headstones. You had one with the surname I am looking for FLOREK! We are planning a trip there this fall.

Hi - I'm so glad that I was able to help you! Have you already made your trip to Poland? Please send me a private message if you have not already left. Shellie
cfoor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:13 pm      Post subject: Julianna and Anton Buron

Very Happy
I just came across some information that said that Anton's parents were Joseph Buron and Anna Sventek.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Page 2 of 6

Jump to: