PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Piekielnik - Pekelnik - Piekelnik
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:03 am      Post subject: Piekielnik - Pekelnik - Piekelnik

If your ancestors are from Piekielnik, be sure to add your information to the Places Database at: http://polishorigins.com/places
You can also add your family surnames to the Surname Database: http://polishorigins.com/surnames

Please reply to this thread and leave a comment about your family.

Piekielnik was originally known as Pekelnik, in Arva megye, Hungary.
Hear how to say it in Polish: http://say.expressivo.com/jacek/Piekielnik

It is currently part of Gmina Czarny Dunajec, within Nowy Targ County, Lesser Poland Voivodeship (Malopolskie). See a map here:
http://tinyurl.com/Pielielnik-map

The village is near a creek of the same name. The local Roman Catholic parish is St. Jakub’s.

Some ancestors in Ellis Island records or other ship manifests from this village have been listed as being from Czechoslovakia. This can be confusing for people who are just beginning to research their family history in this village.

Below is a list of Piekielnk surnames from Ellis Island ship manifests, the village cemetery and conversations with people with ancestors from Piekielnik - no attempt has been made to correct the spellings found on the internet:

Balek, Balon, Baniak, Barnaszovic, Basista, Basziszta, Baszizta, Bielski, Bielsky, Brankala, Brunkala, Buk, Bulandiak, Burda, Buron, Butkus, Bzeznok, Cabala, Chlebek, Cisek, Cisar, Csabala, Csisar, Csyk, Cyt, Czabala, Czyz, Denbjak, Denbjak, Derda, Djubek, Djubok, Dlugopolszki, Drinbek, Drobnak, Drobnak, Drinbek, Drobnak, Dumhac, Dvorstiak, Dzsombala, Dzubek, Federak, Fedorak, Florek, Gabriel, Gabril, Gagolyak, Gajdasik, Gelligdon, Gerzaik, Gladjak, Glodjak, Glodiak, Glogiak, Glorek, Gogelak, Gogola, Granot, Grzgiel, Grzgiel, Gymuszak, Gynbek, Gynbek, Halcak, Hannlak, Holczak, Holczok, Hopko, Hosanak, Igkaz, Ignacak, Janos, Janosik, Jasser, Kadlub, Kadlubiak, Kans, Kapha, Kas, Kasprak, Kendrala, Kensek, Kisinecz, Kluska, Kollar, Koncz, Kons, Konsch, Konsz, Koscselek, Kosticlak, Kotherczik, Kotlar, Kotlarcsik, Kouss, Kovalozik, Kovalski, Kravcik, Krawczyk, Kroll, Krul, Krull, Krupa, Kuliasiak, Lehgton, Lenard, Lenhart, Lieligdon, Lieltgdon, Linart, Lis, Ljeligdon, Londlak, Lyenart, Malesa, Malisak, Marchewka, Marsolek, Matjej, Matyej, Michieue, Mickiene Novak, Oloba, Olrembjak, Ondrasik, Ordisa, Oskwarek, Ostrembjak, Otrembia, Otrembjak, Panala, Pankewicj, Paolak, Paoliak, Paoljak, Pasztorek, Pavlak, Pavlyak, Pawlak, Paztorek, Pekelinczki, Pietociak, Rakicki, Richlik, Richlik, Rokicki, Rokiczky, Rokiesky, Ronon, Rychlik, Schawtzer, Schawzer, Schiffmann, Schrawtzer, Serdynski, Servinsky, Serwinski, Sezeponak, Simala, Simalia, Simarska, Slakta, Smalya, Smich, Smorek, Sondlak, Steponyak, Sterban, Stiller, Strba, Surich, Sventek, Svintak, Swientek, Swietek, Szcrepaniak, Szervinsky, Szervinszki, Szimalia, Szimalik, Szterba, Szyrba, Targos, Troak, Troiak, Trojaniak, Turkschieitis, Vesolovsky, Walek, Wendelin, Wesolowsky, Ygnact, Zborek, Zeligdon, Zondlak, Zondliak, Zoudlak, Zsulko

Some surnames from the village cemetery (this is NOT a list of all graves):
Burda, Buron, Chebek, Florak, Grotowski, Jugowiec, Kadlub, Kapakla, Krol, Kulasiak, Lenart, Orawiec, Otrebiak, Pastorek, Rapczaniak, Rokicki, Serwinski, Smiech, Smoklo, Smiech, Smolko, Stafira, Wesolowska

I visited Piekielnik in July 2009 on my forefathers traces tour with Zenon, but did not visit the local priest or view any church records from the parish in Piekielnik. I did walk through the cemetery and took a few photos. If you are researching families from Piekielnik, please post your comments, corrections, questions and photos here.

The photo below is from the Piekielnik parish website. You can visit the site here:
http://www.parafia-piekielnik.pl/1,195/o-parafii/historia

Piekielnik Church view toward the south east.png
 Description:
Photo from Piekielnik parish website. Click to enlarge
 Filesize:  285.42 KB
 Viewed:  23909 Time(s)

Piekielnik Church view toward the south east.png

Piekielnik, looking north.jpg
 Description:
Photo taken by Shellie in 2009. Click to enlarge
 Filesize:  610.17 KB

Piekielnik, looking north.jpg

Last edited by Shellie on Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:45 am; edited 12 times in total
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:10 am      Post subject:

Some more photos of Piekielnik!

Piekielnik sign.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.16 KB
 Viewed:  23912 Time(s)

Piekielnik sign.jpg

Piekielnik, entering from east (from Zaluczne).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.44 KB

Piekielnik, entering from east (from Zaluczne).jpg

Piekielnik, entering town from east, looking northwest.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.46 KB
 Viewed:  23912 Time(s)

Piekielnik, entering town from east, looking northwest.jpg

Piekielnik Church (St Jakub's).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.71 KB

Piekielnik Church (St Jakub's).jpg

Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:30 am      Post subject:

Here are some photos of St. Jakub's Roman Catholic church in Piekielnik.

Piekielnik church interior.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.3 KB

Piekielnik church interior.jpg

Piekielnik Church ceiling.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.83 KB

Piekielnik Church ceiling.jpg

Piekielnik church (in back with entry to cemetery on right).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.72 KB

Piekielnik church (in back with entry to cemetery on right).jpg

Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:40 am      Post subject:

I have a few photos of stones in the cemetery at St. Jakub's church in Piekielnik. Like most cemeteries that I visited in the area, many of the stones are for burials after 1960. Zenon explained to me that burial plots are "rented" to the family of the deceased for about 20 years. After 20 years, the plot is re-used if the family does not continue to pay the rent. For those of us whose family left the village many years ago, it is disappointing to find no signs of our direct ancestors. Sometimes you get lucky though!

While I was in Piekielnik, I walked the cemetery to find stones with my family name. I also took some random photos. I now regret that I didn't take more time to photograph more stones. For the stones I did photograph, the names include:

Burda, Buron, Chlebek, Florak, Grotowski , Gunka, Jugowiec, Kadlub, Kadlubek, Kadlubiak, Kapalka, Kapusciarz, Krol, Kulasiak, Kulawiak, Lenart, Okarmus, Orawiec, Otrebiak, Pastorek, Rapczaniak, Rokicki, Smiech, Smolko, Stafira, Serwinski, Wesolowska

Scroll down through this thread to see the cemetery photos - many photos are on p5 and p6. Please understand that I did not photograph every grave.

Piekielnik Cemetery.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.73 KB

Piekielnik Cemetery.jpg

Last edited by Shellie on Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:00 pm      Post subject:

I recently heard from a new member with Florek ancestors from Piekielnk. If anyone else has Florek ancestors, please post a comment here. I've posted an image of the Florek stone from the Piekielnik cemetery. I don't know if there are other Florek stones there, I was only in the Piekielnik cemetery for a short time and took photos of old-old stones, interesting shaped stones, and several stones that had photos. I like to take images of stones with photos on them, especially the ones where the photo is starting to deteriorate. These photos may be the only image that someone might ever get to see of their ancestor, so I feel strongly about preserving these images when I find myself in a cemetery.
Shellie

Desktop.jpg
 Description:
Florek, Anna and Jan (Piekielnik Cemetery)
 Filesize:  233.54 KB
 Viewed:  23911 Time(s)

Desktop.jpg

Last edited by Shellie on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
dancinchantilly

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:46 pm      Post subject: 1715 Urbarial Census

This 1715 "Urbarim Register" (possession inventory) for the Feudal Estates from the Hungary National Archives lists the names of property owners (head of households) and description of their property.

Pekelnik, Pekelnik, Pekelnik, Árva, Piekielnik, PL
Adózók neve: Laurentius Pekelnyczki; Josephus Pekelniczki; Adalbertus Paulacsik; Stanislaus Pekelniczki; Jacobus Glucsek; Adamus Banas; Adamus Rokiczki; Joannes Rokiczki; Thomas Rokiczki; Joannes Krulyak; Adamus Krulyak; Joannes Szventak; Adalbertus Balek; Casimirus Krulyak; Blasius Strbak; Joannes Borofka; Adalbertus Kotlos; Mathias Strbak; Florianus Kotlarcsik; Jacobus Otruba; Mathias Vogticsak; Martinus Vogticsak; Jacobus Dsubala; Martinus Jandrasik; Melchior Kotlarcsik; Regina Kotlarcsika; Mathias Kapicsak; Joannes Glogyak; Adalbertus Krupacsik; Jacobus Kudlulyak; Sophia Vorolkova; Thomas Andrasek; Andreas Glogyak; Mathias Richlicsak; Susanna Oskvarkova; Joannes Leliydanyak; Adalbertus Leliydanyak; Albertus Laliydanyak; Mathias Paulocsik; Mathias Musak; Joannes Okarusak; Jacobus Dardyak; Adalbertus Kadlulyak; Laurentius Richlicsak; Jacobus Janosik; Sebestianus Gyombalyak; Mathias Gogolyak; Blasius Malatyak; Blasius Kogyoch; Andreas Ganadrak; Josephus Gogolyak; Lucas Botcz; Mathias Vaczlavek; Mathias Vorak; Michael Knap; Adalbertus Leidenak; Stanislaus Leidenak; Mathias Malata; Eva Braszina
Extraneusok: Regina Valutecska
Oldalszám: 80, 81, 82
dancinchantilly

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:40 pm      Post subject: Piekielnik grave sites

Hi Shellie,

Can you post pictures of the Okarmus and Grotowski headstones?

Carolyn
Shellie

Post Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:32 pm      Post subject:

Hi Carolyn,
Here are the 2 images that you requested. I hope they help you.
Shellie

1. Okarmus Jozef Piekielnik Cem.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  340 KB
 Viewed:  23908 Time(s)

1. Okarmus Jozef Piekielnik Cem.jpg

2. Grotowski and Smolko (Piekielnik Cemetery).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  256.67 KB
 Viewed:  23910 Time(s)

2. Grotowski and Smolko (Piekielnik Cemetery).jpg

dancinchantilly

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:35 am      Post subject: Gravesites-Okarmus, Grotowski

Shellie,
Thanks for the photographs.

I was taken aback by the relatively small size of the cemtery and how crowded it appears. So many flowers, was this a special time or are they always decorated?

As the burials go, this is a little grim, but do they disinter previous ones and use the site again? Do they just bury one on top of the other?
Carolyn
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:31 pm      Post subject: Re: Gravesites-Okarmus, Grotowski

dancinchantilly wrote:
Shellie,
Thanks for the photographs.

I was taken aback by the relatively small size of the cemtery and how crowded it appears. So many flowers, was this a special time or are they always decorated?

As the burials go, this is a little grim, but do they disinter previous ones and use the site again? Do they just bury one on top of the other?
Carolyn

Hi Carolyn, I'm so sorry that I have not replied to your posting until now. Yes, I think the cemetery was rather small, but certainly not tiny. The photos were taken in July, around the 18th or 19th. I got the impression that graves were decorated almost all year. I don't know whether the previous burials are removed (but where would they go?). My guess is that they are buried right on top of the previous. Maybe another member has some insight to this.
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:32 pm      Post subject:

I received a request to post more headstones. Here are some with the Buron surname. I don't recall why I don't have a photo for the entire grave for Katarzyna Buron - but I'm fairly sure that her grave is not at the same site as Jozef Buron.

Buron graves Piekielnik.jpg
 Description:
Click on photo to see enlarged view
 Filesize:  708.18 KB

Buron graves Piekielnik.jpg

Buron headstones Piekielnik.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  495.85 KB

Buron headstones Piekielnik.jpg

Mary Huhns

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:01 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so very much for the photos of the Buron graves. I am speechless seeing graves from my father's family -- I never thought I would see anything like this. You are thoughtful and generous. Have a blessed Easter! Cheers,
Mary H
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:05 pm      Post subject:

Mary Huhns wrote:
Thank you so very much for the photos of the Buron graves. I am speechless seeing graves from my father's family -- I never thought I would see anything like this. You are thoughtful and generous. Have a blessed Easter! Cheers,
Mary H

Oh Mary! You are so welcome. While I did not take photos of every grave in Piekielnik, I did try to take photos of some of the oldest graves that I saw while I was looking for headstones with my family name. I am so glad that my photos have helped you. Good luck with your research and please let us know how it goes. The more info you can share with us, the more likely it will help someone else looking for family history info about Piekielnik.

I found another stone that may interest you. Anna Kadlubiak, nee Buron.
Warmest wishes, Shellie

Kadlubiak, Anna (Piekieknik Cemetery).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  842.61 KB

Kadlubiak, Anna (Piekieknik Cemetery).jpg

Shellie

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:17 pm      Post subject:

I recently got this message on my FFT tour blog at: http://tinyurl.com/63eonfh

Jeffrey says:

May 14, 2011 at 4:49 pm
Hello Shellie,
Loved seeing the pictures from Pekelnik.
My grandmother, Maria Krafcik Vaganek came from Pekelnik in 1909. Other family names are Rychlik and S’tafira. What is confusing me is that my grandmother and all family and friends that came here from Pekelnik, all spoke Slovak and called themselves Slovaks. I am assuming that Pekelnik was given to Poland after WWI. Yet I see old gravestones from Pekelnik written in Polish.
Can you help me solve this? 

Thank you Jeff

Jeff, Thank you for the great message on my FFT blog. The Slovak issue is interesting, but I don't know much about that subject right now. I think you might find some interesting information at the Wetlina post at: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=408&highlight=slovak

By the way, I have Stafira ancestors too! Thanks for contacting me. There are many people interested in Piekielnik genealogy - I hope this thread will help bring more people together.
Shellie

Last edited by Shellie on Fri May 20, 2011 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:58 pm      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:
I recently got this message on my FFT tour blog at: http://tinyurl.com/63eonfh

Jeffrey says:

May 14, 2011 at 4:49 pm
Hello Shellie,
Loved seeing the pictures from Pekelnik.
My grandmother, Maria Krafcik Vaganek came from Pekelnik in 1909. Other family names are Rychlik and S’tafira. What is confusing me is that my grandmother and all family and friends that came here from Pekelnik, all spoke Slovak and called themselves Slovaks. I am assuming that Pekelnik was given to Poland after WWI. Yet I see old gravestones from Pekelnik written in Polish.
Can you help me solve this? 

Thank you Jeff

This website page may answer Jeff's question. http://www.e-targ.org/Village%20Info/Piekielnik%20PL.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Page 1 of 6

Jump to: