PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:32 pm      Post subject:

Hi Shellie, my name is Maria Magdziak. My mother's maiden name was Stafira. For a long time, I was looking for my family, Genovefa Stafira, who came through Ellis Island from Slovakia from the Piekielnik village. Today, I was looking at a website about Piekielnik and I happen to stumble upon your forum post about your trip to Piekielnik. I was reading the posts and I came across Jeffery's post and I was very surprised because Jeffery was writing about Maria Krafcik Vaganek. I am almost sure that Jeffery could be my family. I would like to get in contact with Jeffery if it is possible.

Last edited by mariamagdziak on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
mariamagdziak

Post Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:25 pm      Post subject:

This is my family, if anyone recognizes any of these people, please let me know.[/img] I have more pictures, and I will post them if I find them. These are pictures of Maria Bradac and her daugther Marulka and her son Brad.

Genovefa Stafira sent these pictures to my mom and it is written in Slovakian. It says, "This is in my home. Me, my husband, and my daughter Milka and her husband. By me stands, my Frenki, Helena, and my youngest, Edi. Year 1947" (This is on the backside of the picture of the family.)

sf.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  410.29 KB
 Viewed:  13074 Time(s)

sf.png

Image (4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  248.79 KB
 Viewed:  13074 Time(s)

Image (4).jpg

Last edited by mariamagdziak on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:32 pm      Post subject:

mariamagdziak wrote:
Hi Shellie, my name is Maria Magdziak. My mother's maiden name was Stafira. For a long time, I was looking for my family, Genovefa Stafira, who came through Ellis Island from Czechoslovakia from the Piekielnik village. Today, I was looking at a website about Piekielnik and I happen to stumble upon your forum post about your trip to Piekielnik. I was reading the posts and I came across Jeffery's post and I was very surprised because Jeffery was writing about Maria Krafcik Vaganek. I am almost sure that Jeffery could be my family. I would like to get in contact with Jeffery if it is possible.

Hi Marka! I am so glad to see your message here - welcome to Polish Origins - it's great that you stumbled upon this forum. Most of the people I've met here are not from Poland, but are searching for their ancestors from Poland. It brings me great happiness to receive a message from someone who was born in Piekielnik! Your village is lovely and I so enjoyed my visit. I wish I were able to stay longer and see more.

I would like to compare some notes with you and see if we can find a common ancestor. Do you have ancestors in nearby villages like Zaluczne, Odrowaz or Podwilk? Have you found what you were looking for when you were searching for Genovefa Stafira? If you need help, let me know.

Have a great day!
Shellie

Last edited by Shellie on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
jjules25

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:55 am      Post subject:

Hi Shellie,
I am related to Genovefa Stafira. That is a picture from my church's cemetery. Maria Bradac was my Aunt. How do I get in touch with Maria Magdziak? My e-mail is [email protected].
Thank you, this is exciting!
Jeffrey Vaganek
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:17 pm      Post subject:

Hi Jeffrey,
I'm glad to meet you! I sent you an email with more info about contacting Maria.

Can you tell me more about Basil Sychta? Is he related to Genovefa Stafira Smith and Maria Bradac?
jjules25

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:14 am      Post subject:

Hello,
Rev Basil Sychta was not related to Genia Stafira. He was the first priest of the parish and married and baptized everyone. He was from the same section of Slovakia/Poland. Maria Bradac was my father's sister and is not in the photo although she would write to people from Europe. Genia Stafira Smith was my Grandmother's neice. When she came to the USA, she stayed with my Grandparents, my father and my Aunt. I have Genia's wedding picture.
mariamagdziak

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:28 am      Post subject:

Thank you Jeff and Shellie for all the information Smile
Shellie

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:25 am      Post subject:

jjules25 wrote:
Hello,
Rev Basil Sychta was not related to Genia Stafira. He was the first priest of the parish and married and baptized everyone. He was from the same section of Slovakia/Poland. Maria Bradac was my father's sister and is not in the photo although she would write to people from Europe. Genia Stafira Smith was my Grandmother's neice. When she came to the USA, she stayed with my Grandparents, my father and my Aunt. I have Genia's wedding picture.

Jeffery,

Can you clarify.... In the message you left on the blog from my forefather's traces tour that included a visit to Piekielnik http://tinyurl.com/63eonfh

...you said that your grandmother, Maria Krafcik Vaganek came from Pekelnik in 1909 and that Genovefa/Genia Stafira Smith was her niece. We did not know the name of Genovefa's mother, so you have given us a possible important clue.

Was Maria Krafcik Vaganek the sister of Genovefa's mother, or was Maria Krafcik an aunt from a different family connection?

Last edited by Shellie on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Mary Huhns

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:17 am      Post subject: Re: Buron grave photos

bkitchell wrote:
I just happened upon this amazing website. My mother's parents were from Pekelnik. There name was Buron. I also happen to live in Atlanta area (Marietta) - what a coincidence.

Regards,
Bruce Kitchell

My father's family is from Pekelnik - named Buron. Please contact me so we can perhaps find a connection. I happen to live in South Carolina -- close to Atlanta! IS there a way to exchange email addresses withot posted them in public on this site? Cheers,
Mary
Shellie

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:37 am      Post subject:

Hi Mary,
I'm so happy to hear from you - Merry Christmas! If Bruce sees your message he can send you a private message.
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:01 pm      Post subject: Re: Buron grave photos

Mary Huhns wrote:
bkitchell wrote:
I just happened upon this amazing website. My mother's parents were from Pekelnik. There name was Buron. I also happen to live in Atlanta area (Marietta) - what a coincidence.

Regards,
Bruce Kitchell

My father's family is from Pekelnik - named Buron. Please contact me so we can perhaps find a connection. I happen to live in South Carolina -- close to Atlanta! IS there a way to exchange email addresses withot posted them in public on this site? Cheers,
Mary

Mary, a while ago, you posted on this thread that the Buron graves I posted were your family. Was it both gravestones, or just one? Marka Magdziak and I have found a connection to Katarzyna Buron - her children's names are on her stone: what a stroke of luck!!!! I look forwawrd to hearing from you. Shellie
Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:29 am      Post subject:

Beautiful photo of Piekielnik by icanvance at Panorimo.

To see a better image, where you can zoom and see more detail, view the photo here:
http://tinyurl.com/afbnh3c

Piekielnik looking to the south.jpg
 Description:
photo by icanvance selected for Google Earth:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/79347392
 Filesize:  329.53 KB
 Viewed:  13079 Time(s)

Piekielnik looking to the south.jpg

Shellie

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:02 am      Post subject:

Many of our ancestors lived in Poland or Slovakia, depending on the border changes. Around 1920, the Slovak villages of Piekielnik, Bukovina Podszkle, Harkabuz, Jablonka and many other villages were now in Poland.

See map of Arva Varmegye below, where you can see the old border to the far right of the green section, near the right edge of the page.

The high resolution map can be viewed at: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/arva.jpg

Arava Orawa Old Map.jpg
 Description:
See higher resolution map at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/arva.jpg
 Filesize:  660.46 KB
 Viewed:  13079 Time(s)

Arava Orawa Old Map.jpg

Last edited by Shellie on Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:04 am      Post subject: Zondlak, Piekielnik

Shellie,
Have you seen the name Zondlak in Piekielnik? I came across the name Zendlock, Piekielnik (misspelled Pehelmik ...) that may have originally been Zondlak, Piekielnik. I'm particularly interested in Janos Zondlak who emigrated to the US in 1906 along with his mother Terezya Zondlak (married name). He was born abt Sep 1905 and they were headed to Lilly, PA in 1906 to join husband/father Andrew Zondlak (Zendlock). Not sure yet, but Janosz Zondlak may have changed his name to John Zendlock and there may be a connection to the Mateja family I'm researching.

Some Zondlak emigrants from Piekielnik resp. one from Czarny Dunajec (age at arrival, est. year of birth, year of arrival):

Zondlak, Alzbeta Piekelnik, Poland 19 1901 1920
Zondlak, Antonina Czerny Dimajci, Austria 48 1861 1909
Zondlak, Ignac Piekielnik Austria 23 1890 1913
Zondlak, Janos Piskelmk 1 1905 1906
Zondlak, Josefina Piekelnik, Poland 16 1904 1920
Zondlak, Katerina Pokelnik 18 1884 1902
Zondlak, Nerona Piekelnik, Poland 58 1862 1920
Zondlak, Roza Piekelnik, Poland 23 1897 1920
Zondlak, Terezya Piskelmk 21 1885 1906
Zondliak, Anna Pekelnik 19 1880 1899
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:44 pm      Post subject:

Hi Ute,
I have definitely seen the name Zondlak before, but I'm trying to remember where. Lilly, PA seems to be a common location for Piekielnik emigrants. Several years ago I met online some ladies whose Kadlub ancestors from Piekielnik emigrated to Lilly.

We've had a frustrating time with Piekielnik - no church records found yet (outside of the church), but we are still looking. The hard part is determining where the records are - in Slovakia, or in Poland. The search is slow and we've come up empty by searching for clues online. The next step would be to hire a researcher, but the expense is prohibitive right now, especially since we have do definite location to send a researcher!

I will look around and see if I find Zonlak in my files.

Last edited by Shellie on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Page 3 of 6

Jump to: