PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:25 am      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:
Hi Ute,
I have definitely seen the name Zondlak before, but I'm trying to remember where. Lilly, PA seems to be a common location for Piekielnik emigrants. Several years ago I met online some ladies whose Kadlub ancestors from Piekielnik emigrated to Lilly.

We've had a frustrating time with Piekielnik - no church records found yet, but we are still looking. The hard part is determining where the records are - in Slovakia, or in Poland. The search is slow and we've come up empty by searching for clues online. The next step would be to hire a researcher, but the expense is prohibitive right now, especially since we have do definite location to send a researcher!

I will look around and see if I find Zonlak in my files.

Thank you very much, Shellie. Curious as I am when it comes to genealogy, I looked up a little more information:

Apart from Janos Zondlak who traveled to the US in 1906 along with his mother Terezya Zondlak to join father/husband Andrew Zondlak (Zendlock) in Lilly, PA, a group of four Zondlaks from Piekielnik traveled to the US in Dec 1920. It looks like they were three young women and their widowed mother. There's a note on the Ellis Island record that reads 'med cert senility adm' for 'Nerona' Zondlak. According to the record, their last residence abroad was with Anton Rokitski in Piekielnik, their destination in the US was Midlan, Michigan where they were going to join Tony Cabala who was referred to as 'Nerona' Zondlak's son-in-law resp. her daughters' brother-in-law.
In addition to that, a 23 ys old Ignac [Ignacy?] Zondlak from Piekielnik had arrived in the US in 1913 to join his brother-in-law Anton Cabala in Midland, Michigan as well.

This means that apart from the three daughters who traveled to the US with their mother in 1920, there must have been a son Ignacy Zondlak, 23 ys old in 1913, thus b abt 1890, and another daughter who emigrated to the US before 1913 and married Tony [Antoni] Cabala. Her first name was most likely Maria/Mary, because when the 1930 US Census was taken, a 52 ys old Anthony Cabala, born in Poland, is indexed as living in Larkin, Midland, Michigan, with his wife Mary, born in Poland, and their children, Genevieve, Michael, Rose, and Elizabeth, all born in Michigan, as well as a granddaughter Rose Mary Stopka, born in Illinois..

Putting it all together, it looks like the following people were all members of one Zondlak family from Piekielnik:
Zondlak, 'Nerona'[Veronica in the 1940 US Census], Piekelnik, 58 ys. old in 1920, widowed, housewife, born abt. 1862, arrival 1920;
Zondlak, Roza, Piekelnik, 23 ys. old, single, no occupation, born abt. 1897, arrival 1920;
Zondlak, Alzbeta [Elzbieta], Piekelnik, 19 ys. old, single, no occupation, born abt. 1901, arrival 1920;
Zondlak, Josefina, Piekelnik,, 16 ys. old, single, no occupation, born abt. 1904, arrival 1920;
Zondlak, Ignac, Piekielnik, 23 ys. old, born abt. 1890, arrival 1913;
And most likely another daughter Maria/Mary who married Anton(i) Cabala before 1913 and resided in Midland, Michigan.

When the 1940 US Census was taken, the mother Veronica Zondlak was 80 ys old and lived with Walter Czyzniejerski [probably Czyżniejewski], 41, b in Poland, Head, his wife Josephine, two daughters, and Walter's father Anton Czyzniejerski or Czyżniejewski in Chicago, Ward 22. Josephine is most likely the Josefina Zondlak who immigrated to the US with her mother and sisters in 1920.
More Zondlaks from Piekielnik:
Zondlak, Katerina, Pokelnik, 18, single, b abt 1884, arrival 1902, going to Chicago to join a friend I. or J. Lakietik, address hard to read, looks like 892, 18th Pl.;
Zondliak, Anna, Pekelnik, 19, single, b abt 1880, arrival 1899, going to Chicago to join her sister (name not given) at 681, W 19th St.
A Jan Zondlak , 33 ys. old, married, laborer, from Pekelnik, arrived in the US on May 30, 1900, on his way to Gallitzin, PA to join his brother-in-law Andras Polyak/Polak [?]. He traveled with ? W. Konso[?]-Kabala from Pekielnik who went to Deer Creek to join his brother Janos Konso[?].

And finally, Zondlak, Antonina,, widowed, 48 ys old, born abt. 1861, birth place and last residence Czerny Dimajci [Czarny Dunajec], traveled to the US in 1909 to join her son Wincent Zondlak at 53, Augusta St., Chicago. Her last residence abroad was with her brother Wincent Rosignal in Czarny Dunajec. Thus, her maiden name was most likely Antonina Rosignal, born abt 1861 in Czarny Dunajec.

This is just a draft of how the families are probably connected. Maybe this information is helpful to somebody who's tracing back his/her Zondlak ancestors from Piekielnik (and Czarny Dunajec).
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:06 pm      Post subject: Piekielnik church records

Please reply ASAP if you need Piekielnik church records. Would like to explore research opportunities.
dancinchantilly

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:20 pm      Post subject:

Count me in.
Carolyn
[email protected]

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:42 pm      Post subject: Pastorek headstone?

Hello Shellie,

My name is Tom Pastorek. My grandfather, Wojciech, emigrated around 1903 to Chicago from Piekielnik,

I am just beginning to search my geneology. Do you have a photo of a Pastorek gravestone.

Your work is much appreciated.

Shellie

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:19 pm      Post subject: Re: Pastorek headstone?

Dear Tom,
It is so nice to meet another person with ancestors from Piekielnik. I will be happy to go through the photos and
look for Pastorek graves. The name does not sound familiar, but in some of my photos, I caught other graves in the background. Let's cross our fingers!

Tom there are quite a few people who are members of Polish Origins who have Piekielnik interests. Do you know of others?Where do you live? I am in Georgia.
Best Regards,
Shellie

[email protected] wrote:
Hello Shellie,

My name is Tom Pastorek. My grandfather, Wojciech, emigrated around 1903 to Chicago from Piekielnik,

I am just beginning to search my geneology. Do you have a photo of a Pastorek gravestone.

[email protected]

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:47 am      Post subject: Re: Pastorek headstone?

Hi Shellie,

Thanks so much for the quick reply,

My father and his 5 siblings all lived in Chicago. I grew up on the southwest side of the city, until moving to the western suburbs about 25 years ago. I know very little of my heritage from my father's family, although I probably never asked much until they were getting up in years. I asked my last remaining uncle before he passed what he knew, and he gave me Piekielnik as his father's hometown, and Odrawaz as his mother's town. I wasn't able to locate either of these towns on a map, until recent years with the explosion of data on the internet.

I have found my grandmother's Ellis Island record, but not my grandfather's. I was doing some more searching when I came across this site, and saw in a post of yours that "Pastorek" was one of the gravestones that you may have photographed.

I appreciate any info you have, and any ideas on how to proceed in research. Unfortunately, don't know anyone else with a connection to Piekielnik.

Thanks again,
Tom

Shellie wrote:
Dear Tom,
It is so nice to meet another person with ancestors from Piekielnik. I will be happy to go through the photos and
look for Pastorek graves. The name does not sound familiar, but in some of my photos, I caught other graves in the background. Let's cross our fingers!

Tom there are quite a few people who are members of Polish Origins who have Piekielnik interests. Do you know of others?Where do you live? I am in Georgia.
Best Regards,
Shellie

[email protected] wrote:
Hello Shellie,

Shellie

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:07 am      Post subject: Re: Pastorek headstone?

Tom,
Today is Saturday and I am going through my photos. Thanks for reminding me that I listed Pastorek as a name on the list of headstones! I am attaching the photo - it is a zoom of another photo, but I had captured the Pastorek stone in the background. Piekielnik is a very challenging village for those of us who are searching for our ancestors. Piekielnik was part of Slovakia until around 1920, so your father's family may have identified as either Slovak or Polish.

You also have my attention with your mention of Odrowaz. Are you also working on your grandmother's family history? That is my ancestral village. I'd love to know more about your grandmother - we might be cousins!

Kadlub, Karolina (Piekielnik Cemetery) (2) copy.jpg
 Description:
Click on photo for better view. Grave stone for Karolina Kadlub (1895 - 1960) -- Piekielnik cemetery. Gravestone for Alojzy Pastorek in background. Photo taken July 2009
 Filesize:  1.45 MB
 Viewed:  16363 Time(s)

Kadlub, Karolina (Piekielnik Cemetery) (2) copy.jpg

Pastorek, Alojzy (Piekielnik Cemetery) copy.jpg
 Description:
Grave stone for Alojzy Pastorek (1926-1996) -- Piekielnik cemetery. Photo taken July 2009.
 Filesize:  674.49 KB

Pastorek, Alojzy (Piekielnik Cemetery) copy.jpg

Last edited by Shellie on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:38 am      Post subject: Re: Pastorek

[email protected] wrote:
Hello Shellie,

Hello Tom,
Welcome to PolishOrigins! I have Wojciech 'Albert' Pastorek [your grandfather?], son of Jozef PASTOREK and Maria MALATA from Piekielnik in my family tree. Below is the information I have collected up to this time. Any additions/corrections are welcome. I hope this helps you in your research. - Ute

1. JOZEF PASTOREK. He married Maria MALATA.

Jozef PASTOREK and Maria MALATA had the following child:

2. i. WOJCIECH 'ALBERT' PASTOREK was born on 15 July 1885 in Piekielnik and died on 13 June 1953 in Chicago. He is buried in Resurrection Cemetery, Justice, Cook, Illinois, Plot: Lot 797; Sec 48.

He married Maria 'Mary' Pęksa (sometimes spelled Penksa), daughter of Stanislaus Pęksa and Rozalia Brękus (sometimes spelled Brenkus) on 21 June 1910 in Chicago, St. Adalbert Church. She was born on 16 March 1889 in Odrowaz, pow. Nowy Targ, and died on 22 June 1961 in Chicago. She is buried in Resurrection Cemetery, Justice, Cook, Illinois, Plot: Lot 797; Sec 48.

Notes for WOJCIECH 'ALBERT'' PASTOREK: Per his Declaration of Intention to become a US citizen, he arrived in the US on Feb 10, 1903; however, in the 1920 census his arrival is indexed as 1893.

He registered for WWI in Sept 1918 in Chicago. His residence was at 1745 W 16th St, Chicago, at the time. He registered for WWII in 1942, his residence was 1620 W 21st St at the time.

Notes for Maria 'Mary' Pęksa: She was the daughter of Stanislaus Pęksa and Rozalia Brękus. Her paternal grandparents were Jacob Pęksa and Theresa Glowacz. Her maternal grandparents were Joseph Brękus and Regina Bala.

Wojciech 'Albert' PASTOREK and Maria 'Mary' Pęksa had the following children:

i. STANLEY PASTOREK was born on 22 Mar 1911 in Chicago and died on 06 Oct 1958 in Chicago. He is buried in Resurrection Cemetery, Justice, Cook, Illinois. He married Clara M.

ii. JOHN PASTOREK was born on 16 July 1912 in Chicago and died on 13 Feb 1993 in Palatine, Cook, Illinois. He married (1) ANNA 'ANNE' A. SZAFLARSKI. He married (2) BERNICE GRANDYS, née ORLOWSKI.

iii. JOSEPH FRANK PASTOREK was born on 21 Mar 1914 in Chicago and died on 04 Dec 1988 in Port Orange, Volusia, Florida, USA.

iv. ROSALIE PASTOREK was born on 06 Aug 1916 in Chicago and died on 19 Dec 2000.

v. ANNA BERNARDINE PASTOREK was born on 03 Aug 1918 in Chicago and died on 22 Dec 2005.

vi. FRANCISZEK PASTOREK was born on 05 Dec 1924 in Chicago and died on 27 June 2007 in Park Forest, Cook, Illinois. He married VIRGINIA SAPYTA. More info see below.

vii. WLADISLAW PETER PASTOREK was born on 20 Jun 1928 in Chicago. He married ELEANOR.

viii. TOMASZ PASTOREK was born on 17 Sep 1931 in Chicago and died 10 Dec 1956 in Proviso Twp, Cook, Illinois. He is buried in Resurrection Cemetery, Justice, Cook, Illinois.

---
JOHN PASTOREK (son of Wojciech 'Albert' PASTOREK and Maria 'Mary' Pęksa) was born on 16 July 1912 in Chicago. He was baptized John Cantius PASTOREK on July 17, 1912 at St. Adalbert Church in Chicago. John Lenart was his godfather.
On April 27, 1935 he married Anne A. Szaflarski in Chicago, daughter of Karol 'Carl' or 'Charles' J. Szaflarski and Aleksandra K. Krupa. She was born on 12 July 1912 in Chicago and died on 11 July 1971 in Chicago at age 58 years. She is buried in Resurrection Cemetery, Justice, Cook, Illinois, Plot: Lot: 900, Sect 61.
After her death, John married Bernice Grandys, née SOKOLOWSKI on Jun 02, 1979.

John Pastorek died on 13 Feb 1993 in Schaumburg, Cook, Illinois and is buried in Resurrection Cemetery, Justice, Cook, Illinois, Plot: Lot: 900, Sect 61.

Obituary for Anna 'Anne' A. SZAFLARSKI-PASTOREK
1971-07-14
Chicago Tribune (IL) Pastorek
Edition: Chicago Tribune
Anna A. Pastorek, nee Szaflarski, beloved wife of John A.; loving mother of Robert, Barbara and the late John; dear sister of Marge [William] Vanelli, Joseph [Isabelle] Szaflarski and Sandra Nowacki. Funeral Thursday, 9:30 a.m., from Modell Funeral Home, 5725 S. Pulaski Rd., to St. Turibius Church. Interment Resurrection Cemetery. PO 7-4730. Source: Chicago Tribune. Record Number: 19710714dn098.

John Cantius PASTOREK and Anna 'Anne' A. SZAFLARSKI had the following children:

i. ROBERT PASTOREK

ii. BARBARA PASTOREK

iii. JOHN ANTHONY PASTOREK Jr was born on 14 Sep 1936 in Illinois and died in a car accident on 08 Jan 1963 in Cook County, Illinois (see attached paper clip, click on picture to blow up to readable size.)

Obituary for John Anthony Pastorek:
1963-01-09
Chicago Tribune (IL) Pastorek
Edition: Chicago Tribune
John A. Pastorek Jr., suddenly, loving son of Anna A. and John A. Sr.; dear brother of Robert and Barbara; uncles, aunts, and cousins. Funeral Saturday, 9:30 a.m., from Modell Funeral Home 5725 S. Pulaski road, to St. Turibius church. Interment Resurrection cemetery. 1958 graduate of University of Illinois School of Chemical Engineering. PO 7-4730. Source: Chicago Tribune. Record Number: 19630109dn119.

iv. PATRICIA PASTOREK

---
More about FRANCISZEK PASTOREK (son of Wojciech 'Albert' PASTOREK and Maria 'Mary' Pęksa): He was born on 05 Dec 1924 in Chicago. He married VIRGINIA SAPYTA. He died on 27 Jun 2007 in Park Forest, Cook, Illinois, predeceased by six siblings as well as his parents. He is buried in Resurrection Cemetery, Justice, Cook, Illinois.

The obituary was published in a Chicago Tribune Media Group Publication on June 30, 2007 - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/chicagotribune/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=89933741#sthappeared .

John Pastorek accident.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.08 KB

John Pastorek accident.jpg

Last edited by Ute on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:28 am; edited 4 times in total
Shellie

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:43 am      Post subject: Albert Pastorek

Hi Ute! I spoke with Tom last night about his grandparents and we found some info about his grandmother Mary Pęksa born in March 1889 in Odrowaz to Stanislaw Pęksa and Rozalia Brękus. Having Tom's grandfather Wojciech Pastorek in your family tree is great news! Within a matter of hours, Tom has gone from knowing nothing about his great-grandparents to having a pile of helpful information. I am so incredibly thankful to Zenon for creating this site and forum so we can find others searching for ancestors in our villages. When I started I knew nothing and had nothing. Now I have a whole family of genealogy cousins who share my family roots. I wish it was all this easy for everyone starting out - but 90% of the time it won't be easy. Still, I hope that others will be inspired to keep posting about their ancestors and especially about their ancestral villages. Tom said he ended up on this forum because he googled Piekielnik. Had it not been for this Piekelnik village thread, Tom would still be looking for his family. Thanks for all of the information that you post on this site Ute. You have helped so many people (including me) to get started or to keep moving along with our family history. Very Happy
Jserv13

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:19 am      Post subject: Last name Servinsky/Servinski

I am working on my husbands Geneology and have been unable to locate his relatives names. I have his grandfather Joseph born 1888 and he married Mary Palleck in the US.. They were from Picelnik . They emigrated around 1907. I saw your post with gravestones and wondered if you had seen any with the last name that might help. I am thinking the spelling may have been different. Thank you!
Jserv13

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:02 pm      Post subject: Re: Last name Servinsky/Servinski

Jserv13 wrote:
I am working on my husbands Geneology and have been unable to locate his relatives names. I have his grandfather Joseph born 1888 and he married Mary Palleck in the US.. They were from Picelnik . They emigrated around 1907. I saw your post with gravestones and wondered if you had seen any with the last name that might help. I am thinking the spelling may have been different. Thank you!

My husbands family settled in Portage PA- I see another post where a family settled in Lily- the neighboring town. They first lived in Chicago. They also settled in Midland MI and once again another family settled there from Pielkenik.
thanks
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:10 pm      Post subject: Re: Last name Servinsky/Servinski

Jserv13 wrote:

Hi Jserv13 - thank you for posting your question on my thread! I wonder if the original name was Skawinski. In Odrowaz, just a few miles away from Piekielnik, there was a child Katarzyna born 1819 to Jakub and Rozalia Skawinski.

I think we can brainstorm on this more and get suggestions from other members here, however, I have a suggestion: Let's create a new thread just for your Servinski surname.

Shellie
Jserv13

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:48 pm      Post subject: Re: Last name Servinsky/Servinski

Shellie wrote:
Jserv13 wrote:

Hi Jserv13 - thank you for posting your question on my thread! I wonder if the original name was Skawinski. In Odrowaz, just a few miles away from Piekielnik, there was a child Katarzyna born 1819 to Jakub and Rozalia Skawinski.

I think we can brainstorm on this more and get suggestions from other members here, however, I have a suggestion: Let's create a new thread just for your Servinski surname.

Shellie

Shellie, thank you for your response. We are confident the town is Piekielnik as my father in law visited some twenty years ago. I have started a new thread with our last name. They took photos of the gravestones, so that is why I thought you might have been able to help.
Thank you again
Shellie

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:30 pm      Post subject:

Hi, I guess I misunderstood what you originally wrote - I thought that you were unsure of the proper spelling and that was why you were unable to locate his relatives names. I found Karol Serwinski in the background of one of my Piekielnik photos. Is this one of the stones that your father-in-law photographed when he visited?

Serwinski, Karol (Piekielnik Cemetery) copy 2.jpg
 Description:
Karol Swerwinski - Piekielnik cemetery
 Filesize:  476.66 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Serwinski, Karol (Piekielnik Cemetery) copy 2.jpg

Jserv13

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:53 pm      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:
Hi, I guess I misunderstood what you originally wrote - I thought that you were unsure of the proper spelling and that was why you were unable to locate his relatives names. I found Karol Serwinski in the background of one of my Piekielnik photos. Is this one of the stones that your father-in-law photographed when he visited?

Shellie, you are awesome!! Thank you so much. His name was Carl, so this has to be him and sounds right on the date. Any chance anyone can decipher what it says on the gravestone?
Thank you again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Page 4 of 6

Jump to: