PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 19

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:20 pm      Post subject: Help deciphering 2 village names

Hello-
I have my 3rd great grandfathers US Naturalization record but he didn't speak english and it appears the recorder of the document wrote what was heard. He gives his and his wife's villages, both are misspelled. Also, the spelling of his last name is americanized - 'Daniel Seopa' and is not given in original spelling so I am unable to find his passenger records to correlate village places. His wife is listed as Jakayla but her actual name was Cecylia. It's a horrible record with many errors in translation. Could you take a look? I am thinking the two villages could be fairly close to each other, but i'm not at all sure. I will attach close ups and the entire document to compare writing.
They are written as :
Molestue
Koleza

Thanks for reading!!

Liz

Seopa copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.47 MB
 Viewed:  7660 Time(s)

Seopa copy.jpg

Seopa copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.21 KB

Seopa copy.jpg

Seopa copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.72 KB

Seopa copy.jpg

Last edited by Lizo128 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:23 pm      Post subject: Re: Help deciphering 2 village names

Lizo128 wrote:
Hello-
I have my 3rd great grandfathers US Naturalization record but he didn't speak english and it appears the recorder of the document wrote what was heard. He gives his and his wife's villages, both are misspelled. Also, the spelling of his last name is americanized - 'Daniel Seopa' and is not given in original spelling so I am unable to find his passenger records to correlate village places. His wife is listed as Jakayla but her actual name was Cecylia. It's a horrible record with many errors in translation. Could you take a look? I am thinking the two villages could be fairly close to each other, but i'm not at all sure. I will attach close ups and the entire document to compare writing.
They are written as :
Molestue
Koliza

Thanks for reading!!

Liz

Liz

By narrowing the search to "first name starting D" + male + austrian/galician + town name starting M" I think he could the second on the list attached.

Gilberto

Sem título.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.71 KB

Sem título.jpg

Send e-mail
Lizo128

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:50 pm      Post subject: Thank you for searching-

but the 1904 arrival is too late.. although everything else was looking promising Wink, minus the arrival date. . I am thinking he may have arrived single, not sure. Marriage is 1894 (if answer they gave on census record was correct). They had their first 5 kids in NY state years 1895-1902. The census record answers they gave for year of arrival bounce around a lot leading me to believe they had different arrival dates- somewhere between 1890-1894. He says he arrived 1896 on the naturalization, but it is too late for the fact that his 2nd NY child was born in 1896. I know he left Bremen to NY but he can't remember the name of ship. The Bremen departure records were destroyed for that time period, so I can only hope to find NY arrival records.
It would be nice to know the correct spelling of his name (a million possibilities) and villages. I have wondered if they might be MALASTOW and GORLICE, given that they would both phonetically resemble what was written. Malastow is in County of Gorlice so maybe he just mentions County and not village for his wife? I don't know.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:08 pm      Post subject: Re: Thank you for searching-

Lizo128 wrote:
but the 1904 arrival is too late.. although everything else was looking promising Wink, minus the arrival date. . I am thinking he may have arrived single, not sure. Marriage is 1894 (if answer they gave on census record was correct). They had their first 5 kids in NY state years 1895-1902. The census record answers they gave for year of arrival bounce around a lot leading me to believe they had different arrival dates- somewhere between 1890-1894. He says he arrived 1896 on the naturalization, but it is too late for the fact that his 2nd NY child was born in 1896. I know he left Bremen to NY but he can't remember the name of ship. The Bremen departure records were destroyed for that time period, so I can only hope to find NY arrival records.
It would be nice to know the correct spelling of his name (a million possibilities) and villages. I have wondered if they might be MALASTOW and GORLICE, given that they would both phonetically resemble what was written. Malastow is in County of Gorlice so maybe he just mentions County and not village for his wife? I don't know.

Hi,

Another way to approach the problem would be to use Catholic Church records from the U.S. If you know where they settled in N.Y. and check for a Polish parish/parishes in the area and then see if there are LDS films for that parish often the marriage and baptismal records give the name of the place where the parents resided in Poland as part of the record. The big advantage there is that the chances are much greater that a Polish priest would have spelled the place name more accurately.

Wishing you success,

Dave
Lizo128

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:46 am      Post subject: Re: Thank you for searching-

Hi,

Another way to approach the problem would be to use Catholic Church records from the U.S. If you know where they settled in N.Y. and check for a Polish parish/parishes in the area and then see if there are LDS films for that parish often the marriage and baptismal records give the name of the place where the parents resided in Poland as part of the record. The big advantage there is that the chances are much greater that a Polish priest would have spelled the place name more accurately.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Thanks Dave-
I found the likely parishes but LDS doesn't have them. Not knowing the spelling of either of their surnames or exact years also presents an issue when asking the churches to do searches for me. I think you are right that they would ben entered in their records with correct spelling.
Liz[/quote]
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:37 pm      Post subject:

Hi Liz,

In the Baltimore Passenger Lists (1820-1964) there is a "Demko Szopa" who was born in 1867. He arrived in Baltimore on the steamship Oldenburg on May 27, 1892. The last residence is written as "Malasto." That could be Małastów.

Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
Lizo128

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:28 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Hi Liz,

In the Baltimore Passenger Lists (1820-1964) there is a "Demko Szopa" who was born in 1867. He arrived in Baltimore on the steamship Oldenburg on May 27, 1892. The last residence is written as "Malasto." That could be Małastów.

Best of luck in your search,
Sophia

OH MY!!!! I think you may have found him!! Something tells me this is the right one Smile !! I have been looking since 2009 in all the wrong places..
Now to prove it!

Thank you so much!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:46 pm      Post subject:

Hi Liz,

When I looked at the spelling "Seopa" I tried to decide what it might have been anglicized from, and Szopa is what came to mind. The pronunciation of "Sz..." is rather like English "Sh..." I do not know how your family pronounced the Seopa name. Interestinglly, I found a World War I Draft Registration on Ancestry for a "John Seopa" and if you look at the card, the name is spelled Seopa but his signature is clearly Szopa. He was from Brzozow, which admittedly is a good 50 or 60 miles from Malastow, but at any rate, it did give me the hope that someone else with the Szopa name switched to the Seopa spelling. On another note, the manifest for Demko Szopa indicates he was already married. That ought to help you find a manifest for Cecylia.

Happy hunting,
Sophia
Lizo128

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:23 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Hi Liz,

When I looked at the spelling "Seopa" I tried to decide what it might have been anglicized from, and Szopa is what came to mind. The pronunciation of "Sz..." is rather like English "Sh..." I do not know how your family pronounced the Seopa name. Interestinglly, I found a World War I Draft Registration on Ancestry for a "John Seopa" and if you look at the card, the name is spelled Seopa but his signature is clearly Szopa. He was from Brzozow, which admittedly is a good 50 or 60 miles from Malastow, but at any rate, it did give me the hope that someone else with the Szopa name switched to the Seopa spelling. On another note, the manifest for Demko Szopa indicates he was already married. That ought to help you find a manifest for Cecylia.

Happy hunting,
Sophia
Thanks- The only other records I have are for Minnesota and wife/kids. I have not found any Polish records or other relatives in US for either of them. I had searched Szopa also but was looking for NY arrivals...I have NO idea how I never ran across the record you found!! I'm stunned and thrilled. Now I have to verify it is him, even though my hunch says it is.
thanks again Sophia!
CRoss

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:16 pm      Post subject: Jan Szopa

I am looking for imformation on Jan Szopa born around 1893. he was maaried we think to a Julia Rogala. We think he came over to US in 1911.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:38 pm      Post subject: Re: Jan Szopa

CRoss wrote:
I am looking for imformation on Jan Szopa born around 1893. he was maaried we think to a Julia Rogala. We think he came over to US in 1911.

Hi Carrie,

There is some information regarding the spouses Jan/John Szopa and Julia Rogala on Family Search but it doesn’t fit your time frame. They are listed as the parents of two brothers who settled in Manchester, NH where they married and lived their entire lives in the US. The elder was Jędrzej/Andrew Szopa (born Feb. 27, 1890 and died in 1966) who married Katarzyna/Catherine Hudy on Feb. 20, 1911 in St. Hedwig R.C. Church in Manchester. Their children were Charlotte Sophia aka Czesława, Jennie, Stanley Joseph, and Anna. There also are records of these children marrying in NH. The younger brother was Jόzef/Joseph Szopa (born Jan. 30, 1893 and died in 1975) who married Zofia/Sophia Wajda on June 9, 1913 in St. Hedwig’s in Manchester. Their children were Matthew/Mieczysław Andrew, Walter Frank (probably aka Władysław), and Stanley Joseph.
Both brothers list Jan/John Szopa and Julia Rogala as their parents but obviously that set of parents does not fit the time frame you describe. It also appears that the parents did not immigrate to the US. However, if the geography and the names of the brothers and their children ring any bells, further investigation may be worthwhile.

Wishing you success in your quest,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: