PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:48 am      Post subject: 1904 Church Marriage Record - Laporte, Sullivan County, PA

I am trying to locate the parish record for my great grandparents marriage which took place on January 12, 1904 with Rev. B. Iwanowski The county record indicates that the marriage was performed in Laporte, Sullivan County, PA. Hoping this could shed light on where my great grandfather came from in Poland.

I know that Rev. Iwanowski was defrocked about 10 years after my great grandparents were married (1914) at that time he was said to be at Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Polish Church & Congregation of Nanticoke, PA but I am not sure where he was in 1904.

Have already researched St. Stanislaus Church (no record found) but could possibly be at Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary in Scranton or Saint Paul of the Cross Parish ????

Here is some info on my great grandparents:

Groom - Joseph P. Ortowski (might have been spelled Orlowski) with Polish spelling. My records indicate he was born March 19, 1876 in Poland but I have no information on where in Poland or anything about his parents names etc... His death certificate lists mother as Telka Grymbowski but I was told this may be a cousin or aunt possibly. Some records spell her last name as Oswiemeinski. His father may be Valerian Orlowski (1844 - 1899). Joseph had a sister named Sophie b. 1878 and another sister or step sister Louise (Orlowski) Broch/Brock b. 25 Nov 1880. I know Louise moved to Tomahawk, WI by 1920 and Joseph also lived there around 1915.

Bride - Mary/Marya Mazan (might be spelled Mazon). She was born May 26, 1887 in Gora Ropczcka, Ropczyc, Poland but the marriage record says 1882 (he father Jan Mazan came from Poland with her and she indicated she was older so she could marry and stay in US without her father). Parents - Jan Mazan and Josephine Baran

After marriage Joseph and Mary lived in Muncy Valley, PA and then to Derbin, WV by 1908, and Richwood, WV by 1912, Tomahawk, WI by 1915 and Boyne City, MI by 1918 and Grand Rapids, MI by 1924.

Joseph died in 1949 and Mary in 1982.
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:51 pm      Post subject: Re: 1904 Church Marriage Record - Laporte, Sullivan County,

Lvierson wrote:
I am trying to locate the parish record for my great grandparents marriage which took place on January 12, 1904 with Rev. B. Iwanowski The county record indicates that the marriage was performed in Laporte, Sullivan County, PA. Hoping this could shed light on where my great grandfather came from in Poland.

I know that Rev. Iwanowski was defrocked about 10 years after my great grandparents were married (1914) at that time he was said to be at Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Polish Church & Congregation of Nanticoke, PA but I am not sure where he was in 1904.

Have already researched St. Stanislaus Church (no record found) but could possibly be at Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary in Scranton or Saint Paul of the Cross Parish ????

Here is some info on my great grandparents:

Groom - Joseph P. Ortowski (might have been spelled Orlowski) with Polish spelling. My records indicate he was born March 19, 1876 in Poland but I have no information on where in Poland or anything about his parents names etc... His death certificate lists mother as Telka Grymbowski but I was told this may be a cousin or aunt possibly. Some records spell her last name as Oswiemeinski. His father may be Valerian Orlowski (1844 - 1899). Joseph had a sister named Sophie b. 1878 and another sister or step sister Louise (Orlowski) Broch/Brock b. 25 Nov 1880. I know Louise moved to Tomahawk, WI by 1920 and Joseph also lived there around 1915.

Bride - Mary/Marya Mazan (might be spelled Mazon). She was born May 26, 1887 in Gora Ropczcka, Ropczyc, Poland but the marriage record says 1882 (he father Jan Mazan came from Poland with her and she indicated she was older so she could marry and stay in US without her father). Parents - Jan Mazan and Josephine Baran

After marriage Joseph and Mary lived in Muncy Valley, PA and then to Derbin, WV by 1908, and Richwood, WV by 1912, Tomahawk, WI by 1915 and Boyne City, MI by 1918 and Grand Rapids, MI by 1924.

Joseph died in 1949 and Mary in 1982.

Hi,

It appears that Bronislaw Iwanowski was the pastor of Holy Trinity (sw. Trojcy) in Nanticoke, PA in 1904. According to the attached exerpt from Waclaw Kruszka's Historya Polska w Ameryce Tom XII published in 1908, he was ordained for the Diocese of Scranton in 1891, was pastor in Priceburg, PA until 1899 when he went to visit "The Old Country". Upon his return to PA he became the pastor of Holy Trinity in Nanticoke in August of 1900 and was still pastor there when Kruszka's book was published in 1908. I'm not sure how much this will help you since Nanticoke is about 50 miles from Laporte, PA and does not seem to be in Sullivan County.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

sw. Trojcy.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.63 KB
 Viewed:  4221 Time(s)

sw. Trojcy.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: