PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:25 pm      Post subject: Need help finding towns in poland.

The town where Ignatz was born, I can't find this town for the life of me. I can't tell if the name starts with an R or a P. Or how it would be pronounced or sounds when said in the polish language. The place of last residence is Klodawa? On the ship manifest it says the family is from Gorki/Klodawa. And on one of Ignatz's childrens Naturalization record it says that he was born in Gorki. Are these three towns somewhat close to each other or am I completely lost? Let me know if the picture is okay, I am not good at posting pictures. Thanks for any help.

img055.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  236.38 KB
 Viewed:  4179 Time(s)

img055.jpg

James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:28 pm      Post subject: klodawa

Hi Wisniewski98,

If you GOOGLE Klodawa, you will get a map of Poland, showing the location of Klodawa . It is west of Warsaw, and south of Wloclawek ( where my family is from ).
It is possible that your family lived in Klodawa just until they immigrated, in order to be closer to Germany, and their port of departure, Bremen. There might have been some family in Klodawa . My family moved from Pruszkow, near Warsaw, back to Wloclawek, just prior to immigrating to the US. They sailed from Hamburg, Germany.
There is a " Borki " a short distance west of Klodawa, but I didn't see " Gorki ".
I couldn't find anything on " Pynguf " or " Pyngaf " Russia, but It was only a quick look.

Keep plugging away, you'll find something. Smile

James
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:31 pm      Post subject:

http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.dll?jg~jgsys~shtetlexp5
This provides a list of places named Klodawa.
http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.dll?jg~jgsys~shtetlrexp2~10~KILOM~52~15~18~55~~
This provides a list of places in a circle of 10 km from the Klodawa at 52°15' N 18°55' E
You see a Górki there. Also Rgielew, which I believe is the correct spelling for "Pynguf " or " Pyngaf " The record has what appears to be an attempted transcription of the original cyrillic Russian. Cyrillic P is latin R.
http://maps.google.com/maps?z=9&q=52.2500,18.9167+(Klodawa)
A map showing where Górki and Rgielew are, if you click on zoom 3 times. Note the url needs the Klodawa added.
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:57 am      Post subject:

I agree with Henryk, Rgielew is most probably the village name transcribed from the cyrillic Russians.

In 19th century the village was called Rgilów and belonged to Kłodawa parish.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: