PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:04 am      Post subject: Dlugopole near Czarny Dunajec in the district of Nowy Targ

My paternal grandfather's mother Rozalia Bryjak and her ancestors were from Dlugopole near Czarrny Dunajec in the district of Nowy Targ. Dlugopole is a a small village located on the south bank of Czarny Dunajec that borders Krauszow on the east, Dzial on the north, Czarny Dunajec and Rogoznik on the south, and Wroblowka on the west. It belongs to the Ludzmierz parish 3 kilometers away. My paternal great-grandparents Jakub Rol and Rozalia Rol-Kowalkowski, née Bryjak are buried in the Ludzmierz cemetery.

Dlugopole ancestors in my family tree are:
- BABEL, ZOFIA, mother of WIKTORYA DLUGOPOLSKA (b. 1889); wife of BENEDYKT DLUGOPOLSKI, farmer in Dlugopole;
- BRYJAK, JOZEF (went by "GABRYS"), farmer in Dlugopole, father of ROZALIA BRYJAK (b. 1864); husband of KATARZYNA JAKUBIEC, Dlugopole;
- BRYJAK, ROZALIA, b. 1864, wife of JAKUB ROL (b. abt. 1859); daughter of JOZEF BRYJAK and KATARZYNA JAKUBIEC, died 1954 in Dlugopole;
- DLUGOPOLSKA, WIKTORYA, b. 1889, wife of JOZEF ROL (b. 1888); daughter of BENEDYKT DLUGOPOLSKI and ZOFIA BABEL, Dlugopole;
- DLUGOPOLSKI, BENEDYKT, farmer in Dlugopole, father of WIKTORYA DLUGOPOLSKA (b. 1889); husband of ZOFIA BABEL, Dlugopole;
- JAKUBIEC, KATARZYNA, mother of ROZALIA BRYJAK (b. 1864); wife of JOZEF BRYJAK "GABRYS", Dlugopole;
- KOWALKOWSKI, JOZEF (went by "PANCOCYN"), b. 1837, son of JAN KOWALKOWSKI and EWA BRYJAK, second husband of ROZALIA BRYJAK: farmer in Dlugopole, died 1914 in Dlugopole.
- KOWALKOWSKA, JOZEFA, b. 1903, daughter of JOZEF KOWALKOWSKI and ROZALIA BRYJAK, Dlugopole;
- KOWALKOWSKI, WLADISLAW, - b. 1908, son of JOZEF KOWALKOWSKI and ROZALIA BRYJAK, Dlugopole;
- ROL, FRANCISZEK, b. 1890, son of JAKUB ROL (b. abt. 1859) and ROZALIA BRYJAK (b. 1864); Dlugopole;
- ROL, JAKUB, b. abt. 1859, son of JACENTY ROL (b. abt. 1818), and ZOFIA DZIADKOWIEC (b. abt. 1821), Banska. Jakub Rol died 1894 at age 35 in Dlugopole;
- ROL, JOZEF, b. 1888, son of JAKUB ROL (b. abt. 1859) and ROZALIA BRYJAK (b. 1864); husband of WIKTORYA DLUGOPOLSKA (b. 1889);
- ROL, KAROLINA, b. abt. 1894, daughter of JAKUB ROL (b. abt. 1859) and ROZALIA BRYJAK (b. 1864); wife of (1) Jan CZAJKA (b. 1889), (2) Jakub CHROBAK.

On some of these ancestors I have follow-up information on their life after emigration to the United States that I'm willing to share. If you have any of these names in your family tree, please get in touch with me. Thank you.

Last edited by Ute on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:55 am; edited 3 times in total
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:23 pm      Post subject:

Hear how to pronouce Długopole in Polish:
http://say.expressivo.com/jacek/Długopole

See Długopole on a map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Dlugopole,+Nowy+Targ+County,+Lesser+Poland,+Poland&sll=49.496508,19.85302&sspn=0.15163,0.429153&g=34-408+Odrow%C4%85%C5%BC,+Nowy+Targ+County,+Lesser+Poland,+Poland&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=D%C5%82ugopole,+Nowy+Targ+County,+Lesser+Poland,+Poland&ll=49.475506,19.922118&spn=0.075848,0.214577&z=12

These are some of the surnames of Ellis Island passengers from Długopole. I have included mis-spelled names as they appeared on the Ellis Island site:

Artak, Babek, Bahula, Bilek, Bochula, Breznisk, Bryjak, Brzezniak, Cisek, Dlergopolsha, Dlugopalski, Dlugopelski, Dlugopolska, Dlugopolski, Dlugopolski, Dlugopolski, Dlugowski, Dybala, Fudala, Fudala, Gaeoon, Gusz, Hugopolska, Izler, Jakubic, Jakubice, Jakubicz, Jakubiec, Jokubice, Kamperda, Karwaejka, Kaslk Kasek, Katarzyski, Kawalskowski, Keta, Kienias, Kieta, Klikoszovska, Klikoszowski, Klynarcsik, Komperda, Kompordar, Kowal, Kowalewsky, Kowalkeroski, Kowalkooski, Kowalkowsha, Kowalkowska, Kowalkowski, Kowalkowsky, Kowalowski, Kowslkowski, Kwah, Landowska, Landowski, Landowski, Landowsky, Laudowska, Lubek, Mateja, Matuszkiewicz, Mierva, Mierwa, Mierzwa, Mirwa, Mirwz, Nekaza, Obrochta, Roll, Ryd, Sader, Sauder, Sobik, Sonder, Souder, Stoch, Stopka, Szlachta, Truta, Tuity, Wilczck

If you have more surnames, please add them to this thread.
If your ancestors are from this village, be sure to add your information to the Places Database at: http://polishorigins.com/places

You can also add your family surnames to the Surname Database: http://polishorigins.com/surnames
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:29 am      Post subject:

Thank you for your response and the information! It was interesting to hear how Dlugopole is pronounced! I have quite a bit of information on the descendants of Jozef Bryjak 'Gabrys' and Katarzyna Jakubiec from Dlugopole (my paternal greatgrandmother's parents) after emigration to the United States that I'm willing to share.
Shellie

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:07 pm      Post subject:

Ute,
Do you know why Jozef Bryjak went by "Gabrys." Did he use Gabrys as his surname in the Poland, or in the United States?
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:47 am      Post subject:

Shellie,
No, I don't know why Jozef Bryjak went by 'Gabrys' in Dlugopole. I was told that about half of the people in the village have the last name Bryjak, and I assume these 'nicknames' are used to differ between the families. It was the same with my great-grandmother's second husband, Jozef Kowalkowski, who went by 'Pancocyn'.

I found an interesting article on this subject written by Frances Pine who has done research in the Podhale region: Pine, Frances: Naming the house and naming the land: Kinship and social groups in highland Poland. From the Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute, v. 2, September 1996, p. 443-459.)". I have a copy of the article that I'm willing to share.

I found a ship manifest for a Jozef Bryjak-Gabrys, born 1893 in Dlugopole, who arrived at the Port of Baltimore in February 1911. His last residence abroad was with his uncle Jozef Walkosz in Zaskale. He is indexed as Jozef Bryjak-Gabrys (misspelled Josef Boyjakdzatrys), and I believe he’s one of my ancestors. I just haven’t found out yet which one of the two Jozef Bryjaks in my family tree, born 1893 in Dlugopole, he is (the first names Jozef and Jan were passed on in the Bryjak families for many generations which doesn't make it easier). It seems that 'Gabrys' was dropped after immigration to the US.

Shellie wrote:
Ute,
Do you know why Jozef Bryjak went by "Gabrys." Did he use Gabrys as his surname in the Poland, or in the United States?

Last edited by Ute on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shellie

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:45 pm      Post subject:

Ute has written a wonderful discription of her family history search, titled

Two questions and no answers: A long search for my ancestry and identity.

You can view it here: http://polishorigins.com/document/two_questions_and_no_answers

Here is an excerpt:

Again, I posted messages to genealogy message boards hoping that somebody could perhaps help me. And I had luck, a Polish genealogist responded and indeed found records that proved my assumption: Jacob Rol had been married to Rozalia Bryjak from Dlugopole. I couldn't believe it! I had found my greatgrandparents! In the course of the following months I learned that my greatgrandfather Jacob Rol and his ancestors were from Banska, a village a few miles over from Dlugopole, and that my greatgrandparents had never been to the United States. My greatgrandfather died in August 1894 at age 35 years in Dlugopole, my greatgrandmother stayed there and remarried, had two more children, and died in January 1954 at age 89 years in Dlugopole. Both of my greatgrandparents are buried in the nearby Ludzmierz cemetery. Their three children, Jozef, Franciszek, and Karolina emigrated to the United States.
Shellie

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:28 pm      Post subject:

Once again, Ute has provided us with some wonderful info about Dlugopole. Click on the link below to read another thread where she describes newspaper articles about Dlugopole:

The Golden Yoke
Sour Feelings in the Land of Milk and Honey

http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=718
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:42 am      Post subject: Link to Dlugopole photos

A link to photos of the village of Dlugopole:

http://mapy.eholiday.pl/galeria-dlugopole-nowy_targ-nowy_targ,15713.html
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:58 am      Post subject: A link to the history of the village of Dlugopole

A link to the history of the village of Dlugopole (I think). It's in Polish, but perhaps there's a kind soul out there who can translate it for us:

http://www.slownik.ihpan.edu.pl/search.php?id=4965
Shellie

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:34 am      Post subject:

Ute - try this google translation. If you hold your cursor over the English word, a pop up box should appear that shows the original Polish version:

http://tiny.cc/pmgb7
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:06 pm      Post subject: translation

Here is a translation using Google language Tools;

Kraków, część I DŁUGIE POLE (1254 campus et pratum Dlugepole z fals. z XIV w., 1327 longus Campus, 1333 districtus Longuscampus, 1350 decanatus de Longo Campo, 1354 decanatus de Longo Prato, 1359 dist, 1333 districtus Longuscampus, 1350 decanatus de Longo Campo, 1354 decanatus de Longo Prato, 1359 districtus Dlugepole) territory, district, and deanery, and the earliest name of the castle Szaflary and m. Nowy Targ.

[Pow. sadece.]

Territory and the District. Boleslaw Wstydl 1254. and his mother Grzymisław certify that Clement and Mark pp. wwdy crack. Mark confirmed szczyrz class. Donate uncle wwdy crack. Czadra, who gave the same to the monastery, among others. field and meadow zw. D. (Mp. 1, 40 fals. Probably from the fourteenth century → Szczyrz.) 1327 1st C. on the Dunajec, rural location [Krauszów] in the woods "super first C. "on both sides of the Black Dunajec (Mp. 1, 175, kick.) Invested in 1333 to current residents. German Village Ludzimierz szczyrz class. pay the same to the monastery weights king. and war like other villages, in eodem districtu Longicampi (Mp. 1, 194); 1359 districtus D. → Czorsztyn (Mp. 3, 730); 1365 Mszana upper crack in the ground. propellant D. [Nowy Targ] (CRB 1, 114), 1409 Ladislaus Jag. permits are located. crack. Andryszowi Leybenthal purchased at the hands of Andrew Korabiowskiego "castrum [Szaflary] et oppidum nostrum D. elias Nowy Targ," gives him the mines in the management of sub districtu oppidi memorati (Mp. 4, 1113).

Deanery. 1350-1 dec. De Longo Campo "includes the following parishes: Nowy Targ, Old Customs, Chochowsow [Klikuszowa] Szaflary Waksmund, Phyfer [Ostrowsko], Niger [Black Maniowy likely, then this takes Maniowy1Identyfikację S. Mateszew and justifies the trial of the oldest settlements Zamagórza (Acta Archeol. Carpathica "), publisher of unnecessarily added at this name on its own initiative Fluvius] T. Ładogórski Clessino2Nazwę this, study of the Polish population, p. 194, identifies the Debno, but without justification. K. Dobrowolski, the oldest settlement in Podhale, p. 5, suspects that a distorted record of the names of villages Kluszkowce, Sromowce Wyżne Sromowce Low, Wylczsko or Wyczsko3B. Kumor, archdeaconry Sacz, p. 134, identifies this parish from Szczawnica. Argued for including the above-mentioned S. Mateszew. hearing, Villa Ivconis4Zdaniem B. Kumor, archdeaconry Sacz, p. 134, this is the original name Tylmanowa. This and the previous identification of the reasons he did not print the hearing: Establishment and development of the church organization in South Galicia at the end of the sixteenth, the rectory pay decimal. Pope (MV 2 p. 375, 386); 1354 dec. "Prato de Longo from villages par. ibid. and Grywald (MV 2 p. 432-3).

Uw. Fragmentary source material does not allow for very complex explanation of the early settlers, the ownership and administrative divisions of the church in Podhale. Bearing in mind that locking Szaflary m. Nowy Targ and wore for some time Długopole name, one can assume that the entire area of Podhale in the early period was called the Long Field. There is also the name of the deanery.

Deanery could not accept that name from the village Długopole, which was to fall dean's office, as it is accepted in the literature, because the village does not yet exist, was because in the second half of the fourteenth century, and the parish was established much later (probably in fifteenth century). Therefore, this deanery took its name from the territory in which lay above. parishes. Since the fifteenth century it was called Nowy Targ. Dec. Long Field is not included in the lists pence, not only in the years 1350-4, but also in the years 1373-4. This indicates a very sparse population within the DP, since the local population did not pay yet pence.
FS

An identification that accepts and justifies S. Mateszew in hearing about the oldest settlements Zamagórza ("Acta Archeol. Carpathica).

2 This name Ładogórski T., Study on the Polish population, p. 194, identifies the Debno, but without justification. K. Dobrowolski, the oldest settlement in Podhale, p. 5, suspects that a distorted record of the names of villages Kluszkowce.

3 B. Kumor, archdeaconry Sacz, p. 134, identifies this parish from Szczawnica. Argued for including the above-mentioned S. Mateszew. hearing.

4 According to B. Kumor, archdeaconry Sacz, p. 134, this is the original name Tylmanowa. This and the previous identification of the reasons he did not print the hearing: Establishment and development of the church organization in the Malopolska region of southern end of the sixteenth century
Listen
Read phonetically
Dictionary - View detailed dictionary
Google Translate for my:SearchesVideos
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:23 am      Post subject: Re: translation

James wrote:
Here is a translation using Google language Tools;

James,
thank you very much for the Google translation, I really appreate your help.
Ute
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:25 am      Post subject: Shrine between Dlugopole and Krauszow

I've seen a picture of a shrine between Dlugopole and Krauszow that marks the spot where a woman perished in a snowstorm. She died about half a mile from home. I would be very much interested in hearing more about that.

Last edited by Ute on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:55 am      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:
Ute - try this google translation. If you hold your cursor over the English word, a pop up box should appear that shows the original Polish version: http://tiny.cc/pmgb7

Thank you, Shellie, I'll try that next time.
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:43 am      Post subject: Link to website on Dlugopole with pictures

Another link to a website with older and newer pictures of the village of Dlugopole:

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C5%82ugopole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Page 1 of 3

Jump to: