PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:15 am      Post subject: Tracking down ancestors in Lubasz, Galicia (Supka surname)

Hi there,

I am trying to find records of my ancestors, but am struggling to find anything prior to their emigration to the US. Here is what I know - any help or insights would be hugely appreciated!

Joseph Supka: born around 1868. There is only one Supka with a first name even close to Joseph to come in to Ellis Island (Jozsef)...he came over in 1905 and reported his residence to be Hasock. Does anyone know where this is? Where else might I look for emigration records? National Archives came up with nothing other than the Ellis Island listing.

Magdalena Supka - born around 1877 & married to Joseph. Emigrated to US on the Kronprinzessin Cecilie in June 1912, coming from Lubasz, Galizia. She was 35 at the time, and was traveling with her 4 children - Pietr (13), Marganna (9), Jan (7) & Michal (4). I believe her maiden name to be Tombor, but am still trying to confirm that.

I am hoping to find their marriage record and/or the birth/baptism records for their children, but I am not sure where to look at this point.

Thanks for any advice!
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:57 pm      Post subject: Re: Tracking down ancestors in Lubasz, Galicia (Supka surnam

csupka wrote:
Hi there,

I am trying to find records of my ancestors, but am struggling to find anything prior to their emigration to the US. Here is what I know - any help or insights would be hugely appreciated!

Joseph Supka: born around 1868. There is only one Supka with a first name even close to Joseph to come in to Ellis Island (Jozsef)...he came over in 1905 and reported his residence to be Hasock. Does anyone know where this is? Where else might I look for emigration records? National Archives came up with nothing other than the Ellis Island listing.

Magdalena Supka - born around 1877 & married to Joseph. Emigrated to US on the Kronprinzessin Cecilie in June 1912, coming from Lubasz, Galizia. She was 35 at the time, and was traveling with her 4 children - Pietr (13), Marganna (9), Jan (7) & Michal (4). I believe her maiden name to be Tombor, but am still trying to confirm that.

I am hoping to find their marriage record and/or the birth/baptism records for their children, but I am not sure where to look at this point.

Thanks for any advice!

Lubasz
woj. małopolskie
pow. dąbrowski
gmina Szczucin
851 osób
kod: 33-230

I think 'Hasock' was misspelled.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:25 pm      Post subject: Re: Tracking down ancestors in Lubasz, Galicia (Supka surnam

csupka wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks for any advice!

Hi.

To follow up on what Gilberto wrote in response to both your posts...If the marriage record to which you refer is the civil return available online in Family Search, I would suggest that you contact St. Mary’s parish in Ware and request a photo copy (not a marriage certificate) of the record in the parish marriage register. A second best choice, if the parish is not willing to provide a photo copy, would be a complete transcription of the entry. The priest listed on the civil return is actually Joseph Lux, who was the founding pastor of St. Mary’s, which was a Polish ethnic parish founded in 1905. The parish is still active and has a parish cemetery. The church record would at least have the correct Polish spellings of the names of individuals in the record and, most likely, the names of the locations in Poland where the bride and groom were born and baptized.

Here is the link to St. Mary’s: http://www.stmarysware.org/

Records for Lubasz are available in digitized form on Family Search. There is a restriction that those images must be viewed online at a family history center. It would not be as convenient as viewing the images from the comfort of home, but it would probably be worth the extra effort. Attached is a screen shot of the films for Lubasz.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Screenshot-2017-10-22 FamilySearch Catalog Księgi metrykalne, 1786-1902 ? FamilySearch org.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.01 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Screenshot-2017-10-22 FamilySearch Catalog Księgi metrykalne, 1786-1902 ? FamilySearch org.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: