PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:29 am      Post subject: Grzeskiewicz, Gnatek, Krol, Gawlik from Galicia

Researching the Grzeskiewicz family from Ruda Lancucka Galicia. My great grandfather Mateusz Grzeskiewicz listed he came from Ruda, Sarzyna Galicia. I would love to find more information about his parents Sebastyan Grzeskiewicz and Agniezska Gnatek. I have yet to find any Polish documents for any of the Grzeskiewicz family. Their parish was most likely św.Sebastiana and I have yet to find records for that parish online.

Also, the Krol family from Gostwica in Nowy Sacz Galicia. My great grandmother Sophia Elizabeth Krol was born to Thomas Krol and Marianna Gawlik. They are listed as house #83 and belonged to the parish in Podegrodzie (św.Jakuba Starszego Apostoła in Stary Sacz?). Only been able to find indexes for the baptisms of some of their children on familysearch. Would love to be able to see actual documents or find out any more information about them.

I have been mostly searching Ancestry(free), Familysearch, Geneteka, and szukajwarchiwach.pl. If anyone has any information or help on what to do next or where to search that would be great! I assume finding records for św.Sebastiana and św.Jakuba Starszego Apostoła will be the key. Thanks!
-Laurie G.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:38 am      Post subject:

Laurie,

Images of the records you listed as indexed in your other post do not appear to be available online. However, there are LDS films available for the parish of Podegrodzie. The film numbers are 1956474 (item 1: ur./births & baptisms), 1956475 (item 7: malz./marriages), and 1956646 (items 1-2: zg./deaths). It will be easy to locate the births you listed in the other post in the film since the index gives you the dates of the baptisms. Since the marriages and deaths have not been indexed it will take a bit more time to find the records you would need since it will be necessary to go through the records on the films frame by frame (unless the registers contain an internal index).

Keep in mind that the names will appear in the records in their Latin form but the individuals never used that form in daily life. Of the names you listed most of the Latin forms are identical to the English versions---the exception is Joannes, which is John in English and Jan in Polish. Your great grandmother's given names would be Zofia Elzbieta in Polish and her parents would be Tomasz and Maryanna (in the Polish spelling of that time/Marianna in the current spelling). In one of the records indexed Marianna's surname is listed as Michaelis. This is undoubtedly an indexing error. In birth & baptism records from the Austrian Partition the mother's name is usually recorded as something like Marianna filia Michaelis Gawlik et (the given name of her mother) natae (her mother's maiden name) which translates as Maryanna, the daughter of Michal/Michael Gawlik and of (his wife's given and maiden names). All that sort of info makes it much easier to find the correct marriage record for Tomas/Thomas and Maryanna as well as their birth/baptism records.

It does not appear that the records of the parish of Sarzyna have been filmed and so probably the best option would be to contact the parish directly.

If you have any questions about how to go about ordering the films or language related questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave
LaurieGrz123

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:42 pm      Post subject:

[quote="dnowicki"]Laurie,

Images of the records you listed as indexed in your other post do not appear to be available online. However, there are LDS films available for the parish of Podegrodzie. The film numbers are 1956474 (item 1: ur./births & baptisms), 1956475 (item 7: malz./marriages), and 1956646 (items 1-2: zg./deaths). It will be easy to locate the births you listed in the other post in the film since the index gives you the dates of the baptisms. Since the marriages and deaths have not been indexed it will take a bit more time to find the records you would need since it will be necessary to go through the records on the films frame by frame (unless the registers contain an internal index).

Dave,
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. You are awesome!! I have been looking through the LDS/familysearch website. I entered the film number 1956475 (marriages) and it still is showing me baptisms as well as the film number for baptisms/births, I am only seeing baptisms. The film number for deaths says no records found. I didnt type in any names, just tried browsing through and I only see baptisms. What am I doing wrong? Am I searching in the right place or should I be looking somewhere not on the familysearch website? I am pretty good at digging through the internet and thought I could figure it out but I haven't. Is this something I will need to order?

Also, I too had noticed that they had incorrectly written Marianna's maiden name as Michaelis, but I didnt know what to make of it. Thanks to your tip I am pretty sure I found her baptismal record with the name of her parents! Thank you so so much!!!

-Laurie Grzeskiewicz
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:49 am      Post subject: Ordering LDS Films

Dave,
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. You are awesome!! I have been looking through the LDS/familysearch website. I entered the film number 1956475 (marriages) and it still is showing me baptisms as well as the film number for baptisms/births, I am only seeing baptisms. The film number for deaths says no records found. I didnt type in any names, just tried browsing through and I only see baptisms. What am I doing wrong? Am I searching in the right place or should I be looking somewhere not on the familysearch website? I am pretty good at digging through the internet and thought I could figure it out but I haven't. Is this something I will need to order?

Also, I too had noticed that they had incorrectly written Marianna's maiden name as Michaelis, but I didnt know what to make of it. Thanks to your tip I am pretty sure I found her baptismal record with the name of her parents! Thank you so so much!!!

-Laurie Grzeskiewicz[/quote]

Laurie,

The place to look is the family search site but what you need to do is go to the top of the home page to the heading "Search". On the pull-down menu click on "Catalog". When the next window opens just type in "Podegrodzie" in the box for "place". The search will bring you to "results". There you should click on "Ksiegi metrykalne 1651-1956". The results will show up as in the attachment. Then click on the little circle (icon of a microfilm reel) under "format" for the film you want and you will be taken to the LDS film ordering page. Just follow the directions (and pay the rental fee) and the ordering is done. There are a couple of preliminary steps which do need to be completed. 1) If you do not already have a free family search account you need to create one. 2) You need to select a family history library location which is near where you live since that is where the film will be sent and where you need to go to view the film. Film rental can be paid either with a credit card or with Pay Pal. As far as I know the rental fee varies based on location. In our area (greater Chicago land) the short term (90 day) fee is $7.50 per film. If there is a public library which is accredited to receive LDS films where you live, I would recommend choosing that as the place to which the films are sent. The hours at a public library give you the most flexibility. LDS libraries are staffed by volunteers and usually have more limited hours.

I would recommend that you copy the actual records you find, either by printing the copy or saving it to a flash drive, depending on the equipment available at the place where you view the film. You'll notice that there are two additional films of earlier birth and marriage records available but I would recommend waiting to order those films after you find out how far back you can trace your ancestral lines in that parish.

Just as a side note, there are various places where vital records from Poland can be found---in parish offices, diocesan archives, Polish national archives, on sites like Family Search, and on LDS microfilms---and sometimes it is necessary to use multiple resources to find what you need. It would be so much easier if there were something like the defragmenting tool on a computer to compress the sources into one location, but as the logic of Aristotle points out "If, then; but not; therefore nothing." The LDS church, as I've been told, is in the process of digitilizing the gazillions of records they have filmed but the process is expected to take decades. So in the meantime sometimes research needs to be done the old fashioned way.

Anyway, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best of luck,

Dave Nowicki

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.15 KB
 Viewed:  5272 Time(s)

Capture.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: