PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:18 am      Post subject: Chicago marriage records to share

I have marriage records to share for the following Chicago marriages (St. Adalbert and St. John Cantius Church):

Feb 6, 1905, St. Adalbert Church, Chicago
Kieta, Ignacy, son of Michal Kieta and Rozalia Dlugopolska, married Katarzyna Kowalska, daughter of Mateja Kowalski and Anna Debusz, witnesses were Franciszek Cisz and Cunegunda Olczewska.

Feb 10, 1905, St. Adalbert Church, Chicago
Kowalczyk, Jan, son of Jozef Kowalczyk and Maryanna Penksa, married Maryanna Forgos, daughter of Jozef Forgos and Anna Merda, witnesses were Joanne Kujawski and Michaele Jaworski.

Feb 14, 1905, St. Adalbert Church, Chicago
Tomasiewicz, Stanley, son of Jakub Tomasiewicz and Apolonia Dykas, married Helena Pierzchala, daughter of Franciszek Pierzchala and Anna (not given), witnesses were Franciszek Braciszek and Maryanna Walasik.

Feb 14, 1905, St. Adalbert Church, Chicago
Bryjak, Jan, son of Andrzej Bryjak and Anna Kowalkowska, married Franciska Cienkusz, daughter of Jozef Cienkusz and Agnes Szpock, witnesses were Michaele Sander and Rozalia Cienkusz.

Oct 17, 1905, St. Adalbert Church, Chicago
Bryjak, Pjotr, son of Andrzej Bryjak and Anna Kowalkowska, married Magdalena Gawron, daughter of Jozef Gawron and (not given), witnesses were Joseph Wesoty and Julia Kowalska.

Oct 10, 1905, St. Adalbert Church, Chicago
Labak, Jan, son of Andrzej Labak and Thekla Bartkowicz, married Angela Walega, daughter of Adam Walega and Katarzyna Szot, witnesses were Jozef Labak and Stanley Labak.

Oct 17, 1905, St. Adalbert Church, Chicago
Medrek, Paul, son of Jan Medrek and Franciska Opatkowicz, married Wladyslawa Ponka, daughter of Adalbert Ponka and Anna (not given), witnesses were Andrzej Lopatkiewicz and Maria Szacik.

May 15, 1906, St. Adalbert Church, Chicago
Fudala, Stanley, son of Jan Fudala and Anna Lás, married Katarzyna Bielinska, daughter of Jan Bielinski and (not given) Gola, witnesses were Joanne Kujawski and Michaele Jaworski.

May 7, 1906, St. Adalbert Church, Chicago
Mrozek, Matthew, son of Jakub Mrozek and Agnes Kajs, married Karolina Bartoszek, daughter of Andrzej Bartoszek and Katarzyna Meszczycha, witnesses were Michaele Widzisz and Maryanna Zajac.

May 8, 1906, St. Adalbert Church, Chicago
Bryjak, Pjotr, son of Andrzej Bryjak and Anna Kowalkowska, married Rozalia Matyja, daughter of Jan Matyja and Agnes Lás, witnesses were Joanne Kujawski and Michaele Jaworski.

May 7, 1906, St. Adalbert Church, Chicago
Kulak, Andrzej, son of Andrzej Kulak and Rozalia Leja, married Katarzyna Hertula, daughter of Andrzej Hertula and Wiktorya (not given), witnesses were Andrzej Leja and Rozalia Leja.

July 4, 1910, St. John Cantius Church, Chicago
Szczurek, Jozef of Miedzyczerwone, pow. Nowy Targ, Galicia, son of Mateja Szczurek and Katarzyna Karpiel, baptized June 1885 in Czarny Dunajec, Dyec. Krakow, married
Bryjak, Agnieszka of Dlugopole, pow. Nowy Targ, Galicia, daughter of Jan Bryjak and Katarzyna Cholewa, baptized 1888 in Ludzmierz, Dyec. Krakow. Marriage witnesses were Franciszek Roll and Maryanna Cholewa.
Note: Miedzyczerwone was a small settlement between Czerwienne and Sierockie SSW of Nowy Targ.
Carol

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:59 pm      Post subject:

The marriage records from St. Adalbert's in Chicago - Do you have a record of Jan Harbut and Katarzyna Brzezniak January 17, 1899? I would be anxious to see who their witnesses were if listed.
Carol
Send e-mail
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:15 pm      Post subject:

Ute! How wonderful of you to post this info. I wish my family surname appeared in your list. I know that you are very thorough in your work, so forgive me for asking - but did the marriage records from St Adalbert's Church list the bride or groom's birthplace?
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:51 am      Post subject:

Shellie,
unfortunately, only the St. John Cantius church marriage record lists the bride's and groom's birth and baptism place, the St. Adalbert's church marriage records don't. I know that the Bryjaks and Szczureks were from Podhale (Dlugopole and Miedzyczerwone, I have more information on them and their descendants in the US that I'm willing to share), and I imagine some of the others were from this region also, I'll try to find out more about them if I can.
Ute

Shellie wrote:
Ute! How wonderful of you to post this info. I wish my family surname appeared in your list. I know that you are very thorough in your work, so forgive me for asking - but did the marriage records from St Adalbert's Church list the bride or groom's birthplace?
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:28 am      Post subject:

Shellie wrote:

Last edited by Ute on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:32 am      Post subject:

Carol,
No, I don’t have this marriage record, but you can order a copy of it at PGSA (the Polish Genealogical Society of America). The link to their website is http://www.pgsa.org
I checked their Marriage Index http://www.pgsa.org/CzuchMarAll.php and found Harbut John, spouse Kathryn, marriage 1899, ID # 14598.
There were two more Harbut marriages – Harbut, Bronislawa, spouse Albert, marriage 1914, ID 72377; and Harbut, Kathryn, spouse Adam, marriage 1913, ID 72378.

I found your John Harbut in the 1900 Census in Chicago, Ward 17, Enumeration District 537, Sheet number 2A, enumerated on 2 June 1900, 18, N. Halstead Street, Chicago:
Harbut, John, head, born Apr. 1865, 35 years old, married, place of birth Poland (Aust), parents’ place of birth Poland (Aust), immigration 1890, occupation marble polisher;
Harbut, Kathryn, wife, born Nov. 1877, 22 years old, immigration 1898. Married for one year, no children.
In the same household live:
Bielski, Frank, boarder, born Apr. 1878, 22 years old, single, place of birth Poland (Aust), parents’ place of birth Poland (Aust), immigration 1898, occupation marble polisher;
Bielski, Floryan, boarder, born March 1880, 20 years old, place of birth Poland (Aust), parents’ place of birth Poland (Aust), immigration 1899, occupation laborer in leather manufacturing;
Bielski, Karl, boarder, born Aug. 1882, 18 years old, single, place of birth Poland (Aust), parents’ place of birth Poland (Aust), immigration 1899, occupation marble polisher;
Banks, Annie, niece, born Apr. 1884, 16 years old, single, place of birth Illinois, she works as a house servant.

I also found a marriage licence John Harbut to Katie Brezniak. For some reason the image is currently unavailable, but here is the information from the marriage licence:
Groom's name: John Harbut
Groom's age in years: 31
Groom's estimated birth year: 1868
Groom's birth date: 1868
Groom's birthplace:
Bride's name: Katie Brezniak
Bride's age in years: 18
Bride's estimated birth year: 1881
Bride's birth date: 1881
Bride's birthplace:
Marriage type: Marriage
Marriage date: 17 Jan 1899
Marriage place: , Cook, Illinois, Usa
Film number: 1030293
Frame number:
Digital GS number: 4270519
Image number: 466
Reference number: cn 286880
Collection: Illinois, Cook County Marriages 1871-1920

And there is a "Report of a Birth to County Clerk" for one of their children, dated 13 Sept. 1902: Harbut, Alexandra, born 6 Sept. 1902, third child of this mother, place of birth 24, Fay Street, Chicago.

If you don't have these records yet, please let me know, and I’m going to e-mail them to you. I’ll try to get a copy of the marriage licence also as soon as it’s available online again and send it to you.
Ute
Carol wrote:
The marriage records from St. Adalbert's in Chicago - Do you have a record of Jan Harbut and Katarzyna Brzezniak January 17, 1899? I would be anxious to see who their witnesses were if listed.
Carol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: