PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:18 am      Post subject: Trip to Poland May 2010

I just found this site - but had already planned a trip to Poland for next month (May 2010). My ancestral research will be in the Inowoclaw area of Poznon. Is there anyone on the list who is located in that area. (yes - I just sent an email checking into tours)
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:50 am      Post subject:

There are two other persons in our PO Places Database who are interested in Inowrocław, click here: http://polishorigins.com/places/search/string/inowroclaw .

Last edited by Zenon on Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
smithcjes

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:31 am      Post subject:

I just spent much of the past 2 days pouring over LDS microfilm for the Orlowo Parish (near Inowroclaw) and I FOUND my Great Grandfatther, Josphus Szydlowski (the l is really the crossed l), and all of his siblings. His sisters married & came to America before him (the family story is that he came at about age 16 to avoid being drafted into the Polish army) but his 3 brothers, Valentinus, Andreas & Franciscous Szydlowski stayed in Poland. I also found 2 children of Andreas, Ludovicus (born 1888) and Marianna (born 1889) and I haven't quite finished viewing the microfilm. With 3 siblings of my grandfather having stayed in Poland, I really could have relatives I might find. Any suggestions on how to go about trying to find them in the few short weeks I have until I actually get there. And will there be a graveyard connected to the Parish in Orlowo that might have family graves I could see (I was told by someone in Germany that I have little hope of finding and of my ancestral graves there because they apparently reuse the sites - don't ask - I hope it is not the same in Poland). Also, will it be possible to actually do research in Gniezno where I understand the records for the parish are kept. It was so exciting to see the names of my Polish ancestors on the microfiche & I am even more excited about seeing the area where they lived.
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:33 pm      Post subject:

smithcjes wrote:
With 3 siblings of my grandfather having stayed in Poland, I really could have relatives I might find. Any suggestions on how to go about trying to find them in the few short weeks I have until I actually get there.

The way which, from our many years experience, guarantees the greatest chances is to visit the village personally and talk with its inhabitants. People in the Polish countrysde are very helpful and willing to talk. Usually, everyone knows each other and if only there is in the town or neighboring villages someone who may be related the chances of finding him are really high.

I preliminarly checked the phone book and although I didin't find any Szydłowski in Orłowi parish I found 14 people bearing this surname in the neighboring Inowrocław and Strzelno.

In conclusion, I think that taking into account the fact that there were at least three brothers who passed his surname futher down to their descendants chances of finding living relatives of your great-grandfather are not so small.

smithcjes wrote:
And will there be a graveyard connected to the Parish in Orlowo that might have family graves I could see (I was told by someone in Germany that I have little hope of finding and of my ancestral graves there because they apparently reuse the sites - don't ask - I hope it is not the same in Poland).

Unfortunately, the procedure of reusing the same spots if you don't pay rent every 20 years is applied in Catholic cemeteries in Poland. Of course, it doesn't necessary mean that the all old graves disappeared. You can still have luck to find some tombstones even from the end of 1700s.

smithcjes wrote:
Also, will it be possible to actually do research in Gniezno where I understand the records for the parish are kept. It was so exciting to see the names of my Polish ancestors on the microfiche & I am even more excited about seeing the area where they lived.

Yes, in Archdiocese Archives in Gniezno there are kept vital records for your Orłowo parish starting from 1776 up to 1963 with some a few years gaps. I had chance to visit this Archives and it was a very positive experience. The staff there is very open and willing to help. However, they are doing maintenance of the most destroyed books and there is possibility that you will leave the Archives without seeing the book you are interested most. Fortunately, the parish books are also kept in Orłowo and there is still chance to see some books in the parish if only the priest there will be willing to cooperate.

I made unwitting mistake in one of the previous posts (http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1969#1969) mentioning Włocławek and Inowrocław in one sentence as the same towns. Of course, these are two separate towns, click here for map of directions between both: http://bit.ly/d0I5eB . I have good memories from visiting Włoclawek last year with my friend James (click here to see blog from this Tour: http://blog.polishorigins.com/category/james-tour/ ) and this is my only plea for the mislead Smile. I corrected it already and I apologize for misleading you.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: