PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:15 pm      Post subject: Budo

Hello!

I was recently told that BUDO is a German name and BUDA is Polish. Is that correct information?
My great grandfather, Ryzard Karol Budo was born in Glogowek, Silesia. His and two others are the only family with this surname in the parish baptismal records.

Thank you.

Stephanie
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:39 pm      Post subject:

Hello Stephanie,

Budo is not a Polish surname and I don't think it has anything to do with Polish "Buda", which literally means a small, poor, trashy building. Some time ago we had interesting discussion in our Forum about this word as a place name, click here for it: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=1064 .

There are only three living persons in Poland bearing the surname Budo, two of them in Warsaw and one in Elbląg.
Send e-mail
Stef

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:33 pm      Post subject: Budo continues...

So, is there any other inforamation about the derivation of the Budo surname, perhaps from Germany?

Thank you.

Stephanie
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:50 am      Post subject:

Stephanie,

I don't know if there exists German explanation of the Budo surname but if you put the name into search field in World Names Profiler here: http://www.publicprofiler.org/worldnames/ you will see that among the 5 top countries where the surnames occurs are: Belgium, Spain, Argentina, Japan and France. No Poland, no Germany.

And according to this website the Budo surname originates from Albania, however I am not sure if it applies to its Japanese version Smile.
Send e-mail
Stef

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:27 pm      Post subject: Budo surname

Thanks very much, Zenon. I appreciate your input. I think I'll get out of Poland and Germany and move into France for this surname!
Stephanie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: