PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:19 pm      Post subject: Question about godparents

Was it normal to have the Grandmother of a child as a Godmother? Also could the same grandmother be a godmother to multiple grandchildren?
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:30 pm      Post subject:

Normal? Where, when & what religion?

Bob
Send e-mail
wisniewski98

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:26 am      Post subject:

Sorry, I am reffering to the two records that I had translated in the russian records translation area. Central poland, late 1800's, Catholic. The two records are from Joseph and Marcyan Olszewski. The same godmother is listed in both births, Ann Parulska. I am still trying to figure out if she is the grandmother or possible an aunt? Still digging through the records. Thanks.
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:28 pm      Post subject: Godmother

My family research has listed many different family members and /or friends, as Godparents, or specifically as Godmother.
I have sisters, aunts, cousins, grandmothers, mother-in-laws, etc....
It appears to me that it was just a personal decision for the parents, and not a tradition / custom to select a certain family member.

James
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:20 pm      Post subject:

The philosophy of the Church is that godparents are to step in to look after the spiritual life of the godchild, in the event the parents fail to do so, as for example after their death. Thus a grandparent is unlikely to be chosen, due to their age, with likelihood they can not long fulfil their duties.
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:29 am      Post subject:

Among dozens of thousands (or more?) records I had looked through so far I don't remember anyone where grandmother (or grandfather) was a godparent. Most probably the Anna Parulska is also from the same family but maybe not direct, like first or second cousin.

Do you know all siblings of mother of the children Józefa Parulska? Maybe this is sister of her named after mother Anna?
Send e-mail
Lisa

Replies: 88

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:08 pm      Post subject:

I found the same thing while doing my research. It appears as though a grandparent was godparent to a grandchild. Perhaps, rather than it being the grandparent, it was a relative with the same name as the grandparent?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: