PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:19 pm      Post subject: Dabrowski Histories

Hi Everybody:

I am trying to help this PenPal. Do anyone knows?

Can anyone help this PenPal Mike? Mike is searching for Dabrowski Roots from Poland?
You can email him in America.

Here is :
[email protected]
He is very desperating and can't find any informations. He wrote this. Read on.

"" If my grandmother came from Piotrowice, Poland, and my grandfather came from either Broszkow, or Broszka, Poland, which church parish, would they be listed with? Where can I go, in Poland, via E-mail or regular mail, and get any and all information. May grandparents must have live close, if this will help. I check all the churchs in the area of Piotrowice, Poland on one of my visit to Poland, and they could not find anything.
Any and all ideas you may have could help, please.""

I copied his message and decided to post in here. You all are great help. I don't know if he sign this PolishOrigin yet.

Thanks you all!
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:01 am      Post subject:

Arlene,

There are 32 places called Piotrowice in today's Poland and only one Broszków (no Broszka but one Broszki and one Broszkowice). Without any further hints it may be hard to find appropriate location.

The closest Piotrowice to the only Broszków are in Otwock county, click here for the map: http://bit.ly/91N0EH . If you think they may be correct towns we can go further and check what records from 1800s are available and where it can be found.
Send e-mail
valpomike

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:17 pm      Post subject:

I am looking for a city or village, called Broszkow or Broszka, Poland could be near Piotrowice, Poland, and which churchs service this area? How can I find information on these. My grandparents came from here, and left in early 1900. Grandfathers name was Ferdynand Dombrowski/Dabrowski born May 30, 1875, and grandmother Dombrowski/Dabrowski M/N Grabowski, borh July 10, 1887. I have been searching for any or all information on them, and any family still in Poland, or anywhere.
Can you help me?
Zenon

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:12 am      Post subject:

As I wrote before, if you don't have any more hints about which from the 32 Piotrowice might be "your" Piotrowice, the closest one to Broszków can be found in Otwock county, click here for map: http://bit.ly/91N0EH .
Send e-mail
violin75

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:18 pm      Post subject:

Hello:
I dont have any help on the particular area that you are searching for, sadly but I wanted to offer my story that may help you with finding your correct village of your grandparents.

First, dont give up, it may take some time but you will eventually find it.

Do you have the passenger records or Naturalization records for your grandparents? If you dont you really need to start with that. You need to know when they arrived in the USA. On the passenger records it will state the town or place they came from and the area or partition(like Galicia, russian or prussian). Pay very careful attention to this as it will help narrow down a town to look for. It could say Galicia or Austrian or Polish russian or Prussian. This is a great help to you because it can limit the 32 towns Zenon was telling you about. For example, if the Passenger records say that your grandparents came from Poland Russian then you would look in Poland but only in the areas that were annexed by the Russian Partition. It can save you a lot of time.

The other thing is: did your grandparents marry in Poland or did they meet when they came to America?

What also helped me was, I made a time line. I put all the important dates on a time line for my grandparents and where they happened. I only put down what I knew not what was a story through the family(if you do maybe put a ??? by it to show you that your not sure about this idea) You could include the dates of birth of the children and where they were born too. This would be helpful if they moved around.
It is helpful because you would be able to see where they were at certain times.

Also, did your grandfather go by a different name other than Ferdynand? Like Franz (which I found on Ellisislandrecords.org) I did a quick search and there are not many Dabrowski or Dombrowski using the info you supplied.

Clues could be on the back of pictures or war documents, immigration records, obituaries or churches.
While searching through my grandparents records in Poland I found where some people who came to america reported there children's Baptisms that occurred in USA back to their home church in Poland and the wonderful Priest wrote it down. Maybe go and visit the church that your grandparents attended in America and see if they have any information.
Do you have their marriage record? It would state their parents names and place of birth, hopefully.(If married in America)

My story:
Well, I started looking for my grandparents in Poland many, many years ago and I just couldn't get any where. I ordered microfilms from the town of Moszczenica but it was the wrong one...no Gawlik's! So, what I did was focused on all the documents that I had that had the town written down on it and then I compared the spelling to the spellings of towns in Poland. My town of, Moszczenica was spelled a couple of different ways in Poland. In America, no one spelled it right and went off of sound. I examined his Naturalization records and Passenger records and noted that Moszczenica was in Galicia region. Then, I decided to order microfilms from the LDS library www.familysearch.org
to see what areas came up using Moszczenica again. I looked on a map that I looked at from a Polish genealogy site to see if it was from the Galicia region and then picked one.

I picked right this time! My Moszczenica was in the Gorlice region of Malopolskie, Poland. I am still searching through them and I have found so much. The wait was worth it!

My suggestion: You must find Immigration/Passenger records and see what region is noted: Galicia region, Russian or Prussian.
Compare the 32 towns Zenon was telling you about and then choose one after studying it. If its not the right one, go on to the next one.
*** I would start with the area that Zenon suggested first. He is really knowledgeable and he has helped me a lot and many others.

Arrow PIOTROWICE DID YOU GO TO IN POLAND? I looked up on familysearch.org and they have a couple areas, if you went to one then you could order the other one for your grandmothers birth.

I hope this can give you some leads to think about or start with to find your town.

Many Blessings,
Brandy

Last edited by violin75 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zenon

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:45 am      Post subject:

violin75 wrote:
I would start with the area that Zenon suggested first.

And I would start from finding at least one good hint, like a bigger town nearby, or at least area of partition, following your tips. If this wouldn't bring any results then I would try the Piotrowice which are nearest to Broszków .
Send e-mail
valpomike

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:25 am      Post subject:

Thank you both, I will try the new leads you both gave, and keep working on this. God Bless you both. I will let you know what I find.
valpomike

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:06 pm      Post subject:

I have tried some of the ones you said, and they want big money, fee's for there service. In the past, I have paid, and tried, after my payment cleared, they got back to me and said, they could not find anything. I even hired a service in Poland, and pre-paid a high fee, and after a time, they also said they could not find anything, and I don't even think they tried. But I am still trying, and will in time find everything I want and need. Many firms say they will help you, but don't, just take your money.
violin75

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:37 am      Post subject:

I am so sorry that you have not been so lucky with the agencies. This is what I would do before hiring anyone else.

I would go on www. Ellisislandrecords.org
and search for your ancestors passenger records. Search it many different ways. Dont forget many passenger lists have 2 pages so check the page before and after the one it takes you too. Also, after 1906, the people that were detained are listed at the end of the roll so check that too. I was shocked when I found my grandmother there!!

If you cant find them there check on www.castlegarden.org. It was there before ellis island and your ancestors could have landed in America through castle garden.

After you do this go to the www. pgsa.org site and look into the databases there.

Ultimately, go to:

www.familysearch.org is a free site. They(LDS church) have basically microfilmed so many documents in many.many countries. Since they have microfilmed then now we all can order a copy of the microfilm from them directly for a fee of 5.50. You can keep it for about 3 weeks and then renew it if you need to. This is why I was asking you about which Piotrowice you went to in Poland because they have the records from that area on Microfilm and you could order the one you havent checked yet. If you want I will help you decide which one to order but you have to tell me which Piotrowice you have been to so you dont order that one.

Ancestry.com is a fee based site but you can pay monthy and if you dont find anything you can cancel it. It is good for finding stuff you need in America like census records, passenger lists(you can find the same passenger list on www.ellisislandrecords.org for free) BUT they dont have very much for Poland.

Thats why I love Polishorigins for Poland.

The other place I look for Polish research is www.pgsa.org
They are very good and its free. They can offer help too. They have a lot of Indiana records and Chicago records. I have searched a little for your last names and found a few but you would have to go on there. When you do on the left side click on Database and then you can see what they have and search. The Jubilee books are wonderful. I have found many of my family members in these, even a photo of my ggrandfather.

This is a suggestion. Good luck and let me know if there is anyway I can help. I will try my best.

**** A genealogist recommended to me one time, to go into your historical society and start there. So, maybe you can call the little historical society where they were living in America and tell them what you are looking for they might have some suggestions or maybe information.

violin75

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:46 am      Post subject:

I just typed into the Polish Origins searchable database your grandfathers last name: Dombrowski. I got 76,020 hits!!!!!! You could narrow it down a bit but there was a lot of information.

valpomike

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:16 am      Post subject:

Thank you very much, I have had my computer in the shop for two weeks, so I need get back in touch with all, and will try everything.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: