PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Scam email !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:37 am      Post subject:

I too received a email from this person telling me she had something to tell me in private why can't people leave others alone, don't they have any thing better to do.
chester

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:39 am      Post subject:

I too just received this email, I've had it before too.
Thanks Zenon for taking quick action.
Mblazek

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:40 am      Post subject:

It is heartening to know that others who were contacted by this scam artist wrote to relate their experience and to share how devastating it is to be so deceived. Thank you all.
Send e-mail
jdownie

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:05 pm      Post subject:

I, too received this email from Sussan. I replied to her as like others thought she may know something about relatives. When she sent me a pleading letter I realised it was a scam and did not reply. What a despicable thing to do to this website.
Jane
admin
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:18 pm      Post subject:

All messages from user "susan2010" have been deleted

Regards,
administrator of PolishOrigins.com
Visit poster's website
Lisa

Replies: 88

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:33 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for deleting "Susan 2010's" message. Hopefully this unfortunate incident will not repeat itself, and we can go back to the business of genealogy.
bakers

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:32 pm      Post subject:

I to would like to thank Zenon for putting an end to this scam mail from "susan"

Bakers

They lived mostly in New Britain,Conn
tarkulich

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:55 pm      Post subject:

I got the letter too. But I get enough of this junk to ignore it and to report it. On another forum, we had one spammer post and accused it of such, but a long time user vouched for the letter - It was a raffle solicitation for a benefit, where the prize is, a totally restored Skoda auto. Really, no kidding! What a surprise.

Shortly after I updated my profile last weekend, I received several pieces of spam that my spam-junk filters did not catch. It went to my private email account. I made sure the settings on the forum conceal my real private email address . But I still can't help but wonder if this spammer has harvested our information once "behind the curtain".
Not asking you to do anything, just an observation unless others have seen the same.

The problem is, that if you replied to sussan's email, you may have inadvertently revealed your private email address to the spammer. Evil or Very Mad

Visit poster's website
Marmia

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:25 pm      Post subject:

I also received an email from Sussan Edward, if this is the same as the Susan you mentioned
Send e-mail
Cheryl

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:08 pm      Post subject:

I actually created a newscreen name for her "to reply to"....nothing. It just didn't feel right. I have no other contacts in this new account so no "harvesting" to be found.

What a shame that someone would be this devious and hurtful.
RettaT

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:23 pm      Post subject: Susan Edward

After reveiving this scam notice from Susan Edward, I am very concerned over this due to the fact a new email was generated to my email address saying I have been added to a new group. I have not been on this site in ages and am very concerned of identify theft. How Susan was able to obtain information on me from this site is very disturbing to me and I have notified the Attorney General - State of CT on this scam as well.
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:40 pm      Post subject:

Retta,

The recent message you received about adding your e-mail to a new group called 'subscribed' was generated by me. I just added new users to the mailing group to send all registered members warning about the recent scam we are discussing about here. Your e-mail wasn't and will not be revealed by us, PolishOrigins Team, to anyone. We always remind our members to communicate with others via private messages and not revealing your e-mail accounts to anyone. See our Terms of Use: http://polishorigins.com/document/terms and Privacy Policy: http://polishorigins.com/document/privacy .
Send e-mail
violin75

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:41 pm      Post subject:

Zenon and the Polish Origins team:
I want to personally thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking such quick action. I received this message and responded to Sussan thinking she had something wonderful to tell me. After I received it, I was really upset because I couldn't believe people would go onto a genealogy site and prey on people searching for their family! I have not responded back but she did get my email address.

Question: Is it safe to leave my information of my family on my profile? I deleted my name, which I am worried about but what about the family information? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Once again, thank you
Brandy

Last edited by violin75 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:00 am      Post subject:

violin75 wrote:

Question: Is it safe to leave my information of my family on my profile? I deleted my name, which I am worried about but what about the family information? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Once again, thank you
Brandy

Brandy,

I think that as long as you do not reveal any sensitive information like your passport, credit card or your current family details (address etc.) you should be safe. For example, the information your posted on your personal page http://polishorigins.com/violin75 refers to the past and I don't think anyone would be able to do you any harm using it. What of course doesn't relieve anyone to be careful, especially while sending e-mails to unknown persons.

Again, I encourage everyone not to reveal your e-mail addresses anywhere in the Forum posts (this one or in any other). You can communicate with other members of our community via private messages. You don't have to use your e-mail address to send and receive messages.
Send e-mail
Cheryl

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:13 pm      Post subject:

I received an email from this Susan Edwards into my new email screen name, so she didn't learn her lesson. This was about a week after she first appeared in this site.
I sent it to SPAM right away...will not hesitate to ditch the new screen name if I receive any more unwanted emails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> What, Why, How...? All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Page 2 of 3

Jump to: