PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:55 pm      Post subject: Research in what WAS Poland. Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine ..

Some years ago, I emailed for information at a Polish Archive, they quickly replied that some areas of Poland from the 1800's
and earlier, were now part of other countries and that all those records were turned over to those countires. The area I was
looking for, Lida, was no longer handled by Poland. They suggested an email ID for an Archive in Lithuania. I knew it wasn't
one I needed (Lida is in Belarus today) - I misplaced the Lithuanian archive email ID, so if you know where please add it here.
They did add a snail-mail address for Belarus, but that one didn't work out.

I'm also sure some that were born in Poland a century of more ago, may have their records in what is today's Ukraine. So
an ID or addrsss for there would also help someone.

I *DO* need a state archive for Belarus as my family was in and near Lida Poland during the 1800's. Today that area
is in Belarus and I've had no luck with one "archive" I was given. If you know of one that has researched, and delivered
records - I would certainly appreciate knowing it.
If Catholic churches would still handle replies for records older than 100 years, I'd like to know if that might also work

Bob K.
Send e-mail
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:25 am      Post subject:

Bob's situation brings up the interesting question-Are we looking in the wrong place for information? Many Polish people list Austria as their birth place. Should we be looking IN Austria for their records?

Last year one of my relatives hired a Polish researcher to check Catholic church records in Brzozow, Poland and she found an unknown sister of my grandfather's. There were birth/baptism certificates for her two daughter's, one born in 1900 & the other born in 1904. So yes, the Catholic church still has records over 100 years old. One of the records was even updated saying one of the girl's died in 1953.

Bob, try this website: www.genealogylinks.net/europe/ukraine/ A list of links will come up-go to the third link from the bottom-it will say Belarus (formerly bylorussia) Click on that link and the first page will give two Unkrainian Archive addresses. If those don't work, just google "Ukrainian genealogy" and a lot of websites come up.

M. Duplaga
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:06 pm      Post subject:

Here's a Belarssian URL I found, http://archives.gov.by/eng/ but it's a bit confusing. I can't figure which of many 'archives'
it points to in Belarus that would handle the city and area around Lida.

I sent an email to their "Central" offices some days ago hoping they'd tell me where I need to make my request )

As mentioned earlier, I have yet to find a legitimate address, url or ID for requests of what WAS the Polish
"Church of Lida, (Exaltation of the Holy Cross), gmina (county/area) of Wilno" where my mother was baptised.
Wilno the city, now called Vilnius, is in Lithuania, but Lida is now in Belarus. Mention of "Wilno" in older (pre WWII)
documents may very well NOT refer to Wilno the city.
I've been turned away by both Polish and Lithuanian archives and told to write to Belarus, but where I was pointed to,
did not yield a valid response.

My grandmother's family is Jakuc (the "C" *may* have had a Russian or Polish accent mark over it. Some used it, most didn't. Their town, Nieciecz, was 8km east. My grandfather was Joseph ("Osip") Niewiera. No idea where he was from.
Both names, Jakuc and Niewiera are rarely seen.

MDuplaga wrote:
Bob, try this website: www.genealogylinks.net/europe/ukraine/ A list of links will come up-go to the third link from the bottom-it will say Belarus (formerly bylorussia) Click on that link and the first page will give two Unkrainian Archive addresses. If those don't work, just google "Ukrainian genealogy" and a lot of websites come up.
M. Duplaga

Thanks for that pointer. Even though that URL lists Belarus, it only points to Ukranian archives,
and leaves out Lida from the list of cities? Lida is a reasonably large city in Belarus. That looks
like that website would be useful for Ukrane searches

Bob
Send e-mail
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:48 pm      Post subject:

http://archives.gov.by/eng/index.php?id=642425
List of Lida area parishes and records held by Grodno Archive.
http://archives.gov.by/eng/index.php?id=12
"For periods roughly before 1920 these records are kept at the National Historical Archives of Belarus in Minsk (the former Minsk, Mogilev and Vitebsk provinces of the Russian Empire and a part of the Grodno and Vilno provinces) and the National Historical Archives of Belarus in Grodno (the former Grodno and Vilno provinces).
For periods roughly after 1920 the records can be found at regional and local state archives (url link) and also in the archives of civil registry offices ZAGS (url link). "
Grodno Archive: http://archives.gov.by/eng/index.php?id=377130
"Address: pl. Tizengauza, 2, Grodno, 230023, Belarus
Telephone: +375 (152) 77 28 56, fax 74 31 04
E-mail: [email protected], [email protected]"
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:15 am      Post subject:

BobK wrote:
I misplaced the Lithuanian archive email ID, so if you know where please add it here.
They did add a snail-mail address for Belarus, but that one didn't work out.

I'm also sure some that were born in Poland a century of more ago, may have their records in what is today's Ukraine. So
an ID or addrsss for there would also help someone.

Lithuanian State Archives: http://www.archyvai.lt/archyvai/selectLanguage.do?language=en .
Ukrainian State Archives: http://www.archives.gov.ua/Eng/Archives/ .

MDuplaga wrote:
Bob's situation brings up the interesting question-Are we looking in the wrong place for information? Many Polish people list Austria as their birth place. Should we be looking IN Austria for their records?

Last year one of my relatives hired a Polish researcher to check Catholic church records in Brzozow, Poland and she found an unknown sister of my grandfather's. There were birth/baptism certificates for her two daughter's, one born in 1900 & the other born in 1904. So yes, the Catholic church still has records over 100 years old. One of the records was even updated saying one of the girl's died in 1953.

Yes, in case of Austria partition (Galicia) and Russia partition - if only vital records survived all the storms of history - they remained locally in parishes or other state institutions. In most cases situation is the same for old Prussia partition (north and north-west part of today's Poland), however in some cases the records (also Roman Catholic) were taken from the old West Prussia parishes to Regensburg Archives in Bavaria, Germany: http://www.lkan-elkb.de/ .

BobK wrote:
As mentioned earlier, I have yet to find a legitimate address, url or ID for requests of what WAS the Polish
"Church of Lida, (Exaltation of the Holy Cross), gmina (county/area) of Wilno" where my mother was baptised.

Bob,

I found this address:

Kościół Podwyższenia Krzyża
231-300 Lida, ul. Aljeichiejma 15
Białoruś
tel. 00701-561-233-80
e-mail: [email protected]

"Podwyższenie Św. Krzyża" means "Exaltation of the Holy Cross". Try contacting them by e-mail and ask if they keep any records in the church from the time period you are interested. If not, if they can give you any advise where they can be moved or what happened to them.
Send e-mail
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:14 pm      Post subject:

Zenon wrote:

I found this address:

Białoruś
tel. 00701-561-233-80

"Podwyższenie Św. Krzyża" means "Exaltation of the Holy Cross". Try contacting them by e-mail and ask if they keep any records in the church from the time period you are interested. If not, if they can give you any advise where they can be moved or what happened to them.

Thanks Zenon, I've sent them the request and a copy of the 'official' 1933 letter they sent my mother. If they reply, I'll confirm it
here.
The last Belarus Archive I was given had no internet ID, and the letter took 3 months to answer, and it merely asked me to send some
individual $300. I've mentioned that elsewhere on this forum.

Bob K.
Send e-mail
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:51 pm      Post subject:

Zenon wrote:

I found this address:

Białoruś
tel. 00701-561-233-80

This is what I got back ...

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
lida at pijarzy.pl
(reason: 550 5.1.1 lida at pijarzy.pl : Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table)

Had to fix the ID as the at sign and pijarzy.pl disappear
Send e-mail
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:18 am      Post subject:

Then I would try to send them letter by regular mail or contact them by phone. I found Belorussian website with their address written in Cyrillic:
http://catholic.by/2/liturgy/saints/100641.html .
Send e-mail
Honjune

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:07 pm      Post subject:

I am also searching for information of my parents and grandparents from the same area,Lida,Vilno,Kowale, now Belarus and tried some of the links above.I did Email a couple leads from above , have you had any luck so far???
mgi_belarus

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:41 pm      Post subject:

Some addresses:
The site of Roman Catholic Church in Belarus:
http://www.catholic.by

Contacts data (of the Curia of the diocese Grodno also is)
http://www.catholic.by/port/en/contact.htm

Addresses of Catholic parishes and local archives in Grodno area:
http://forum.grodno.net/index.php?topic=209796.0
including in Lida also.

e.g.
The address of the parish of Kościół Podwyższenia Krzyża
ПРИХОД КОСТЕЛА ВОЗДВИЖЕНИЯ СВЯТОГО КРЕСТА ГОСПОДНЯ
Советская, 2 ЛИДА, BELARUS 231300
phones numbers: (+375 1561) 23380; (+375 1561) 23380

I think it will be good to leave a message on this local forum of Grodno area with request for searching help.
Honjune

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:28 pm      Post subject:

Thank You for the contacts ,will try them.
mgi_belarus

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:01 am      Post subject:

There is one more idea:
to translate and write a letter with request about searching to all of these address.
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:05 pm      Post subject:

I've had much sucess with obtaining some records from EZA in Berlin (for my German ancestors born & living in Poland for several generations).

But I've had no response from two addresses I wrote to Belaurus, looking for my Polish relatives born near Lida, which was in Poland in the 19th and very early 20th century. One letter I sent over a year ago did take nearly 4 months for their reply. The reply was very suspect and I didn't follow up on it.

I received a URL from a Polish cousin that appears to be a future database of names and events that the Polish National Archives is building for their website.
http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/pradziad.php

It currently has quite a few photos and there appears to be a 'test data base' portion. But, an ID & pw is required.

There's explanation of what it will have and it appears that they will have areas that are not currently in Poland today, but were prior to 1939.

I also emailed an archive in Torun, http://en.torun.ap.gov.pl/index.php?show=zasady, they answered quickly, but in Polish. All the 'special' characters that we don't use in English were garbled so the Google translation made no sense. The attachment, in Polish also, came through fine, it stated their fee structure (very fair pricing) and their bank acount and some other details, but no address - which was likely in the email itself.
I emailed back showing them what their email looked like and what Google translated it to. I asked if someone could reply to me in English, and if they can take credit card, check or Paypal for their initial down payment (they requested 30 PLN, about $10 US, initial charge). I also asked if they had documents from former Polish territories such as Lida.

I'm still waiting on a reply. Has anyone else used that service?

Bob K.
Why does the US Dollar sign cause following characters to be removed?
Send e-mail
Honjune

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:25 pm      Post subject:

BobK wrote:
I've had much sucess with obtaining some records from EZA in Berlin (for my German ancestors born & living in Poland for several generations).

But I've had no response from two addresses I wrote to Belaurus, looking for my Polish relatives born near Lida, which was in Poland in the 19th and very early 20th century. One letter I sent over a year ago did take nearly 4 months for their reply. The reply was very suspect and I didn't follow up on it.

I received a URL from a Polish cousin that appears to be a future database of names and events that the Polish National Archives is building for their website.
http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/pradziad.php

It currently has quite a few photos and there appears to be a 'test data base' portion. But, an ID & pw is required.

There's explanation of what it will have and it appears that they will have areas that are not currently in Poland today, but were prior to 1939.

I also emailed an archive in Torun, http://en.torun.ap.gov.pl/index.php?show=zasady, they answered quickly, but in Polish. All the 'special' characters that we don't use in English were garbled so the Google translation made no sense. The attachment, in Polish also, came through fine, it stated their fee structure (very fair pricing) and their bank acount and some other details, but no address - which was likely in the email itself.
I emailed back showing them what their email looked like and what Google translated it to. I asked if someone could reply to me in English, and if they can take credit card, check or Paypal for their initial down payment (they requested 30 PLN, about $10 US, initial charge). I also asked if they had documents from former Polish territories such as Lida.

I'm still waiting on a reply. Has anyone else used that service?

Bob K.
Why does the US Dollar sign cause following characters to be removed?
Honjune

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:24 pm      Post subject:

I have contacted the Polish National Archives about a month ago and have not heard from them. I did get good response from the International Tracing Service, they have sent me forms and I filled them out and mailed them two weeks ago. they are free ,no strings attached.I did get a strange Email back from one of the Belaurus site and it was all jumbled. Still looking as well and hoping I get an answer from someone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: