PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 88

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:31 am      Post subject: Discrepancy in Date of Birth

My great-grandmother's baptismal record lists her as being born in Konczyska, Poland on December 17, 1879.

Yesterday I obtained a copy of her death certificate. (She came to the U.S. in 1912.) I was surprised to see her date of birth listed as December 21, 1881.

Would anyone know why there would be such a discrepancy?

Thanks!

Lisa Very Happy
James
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 226

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:47 am      Post subject:

Hi Lisa,

The days of the month would be different if they were recorded in the Russian controlled section of Poland, because the Russians used a calender that was different by a couple of fewer days , than our calenders today.
The year difference could be for a multitude of reasons; poor math skills, person wanting to be younger/older than they really were, language barrier, person who gave the information was not sure of the official date, etc....

I've learned to accept a few years difference of more or less, as long as all of the other information matches up.

James
Lisa

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:18 pm      Post subject:

Was/is it common in Poland to celebrate the feast day of the saint you were named for rather than your actual birthday?
boskee

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:35 pm      Post subject:

We celebrate both birthday and imieniny. Personally birthday is much more important to me, but some people think imieniny are.
Lisa

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:00 pm      Post subject:

Thanks, Boskee, for answering my question regarding the celebration of birthdays and imieniny!

Lisa Very Happy
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:57 am      Post subject:

As a curiosity regarding birth date I can add this. This is not so rarely that I find, especially in birth records, that the age of mother is often "not precise", to put it mildly. Example: there are three children born every second year from the same father and mother and in all three baptism records mother is always... 30 years of age Very Happy .

Recently, I even found baptism records where mother was 37 and one year later she was 33 Wink .

That's why it is so important to focus on primary sources, which in case of birth are baptism/birth records, not marriage nor death records.
Send e-mail
Lisa

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:43 am      Post subject:

Once again I must thank you, Zenon, for the information you sent to me regarding the discrepancy in my great-grandmother's birth.

It certainly was a mystery to us all. Even her two surviving children weren't sure of her exact date of birth!

You are a wealth of knowledge, and I'm very grateful for all the help you have given me.

Thanks for solving another mystery for us!

Lisa Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: