PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:40 pm      Post subject: Polish Surnames and Towns

Hi, I am new to genealogy research but have done very well with my German ancestry;however, I have been trying to build a tree for my husband, who has Polish origins and I am lost! I would appreciate it if any one could help me with the following surnames and towns. I am looking for surname roots for Julian or Julius Ratasiewicz (surname is correct spelling), born August 1884 and came from ?Prelomka. He came to the USA sometime before 1911. I have searched so many ship manifests but come up empty. He married in 1911 to an Agatha (Agata) Gonglewska or -ski., born 1890, I believe from Suwalki. Agatha's sister Anna married a John Sulewski. The families settled in Baltimore City, Maryland (in early years of Baltimore there were ethnic neighborhoods where the German and Polish immigrants would settle). Thanks for any help you can give me.
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:22 pm      Post subject: Re: Polish Surnames and Towns

Rozalia wrote:
....... I have searched so many ship manifests but come up empty.

I would love to find and search Baltimore, Philadelphia or other ports where our ancestors entered ... But to search the Ellis Island manifests, don't use Ellis Island directly, use http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html

Steve Morse has a much more powerful search tool that allows you to use "Starts with", "Sounds like" or "is Phonetically".

For years noone could find my grandfather's name of "Gustav Krampetz", then after finding Morse's website and using the "Starts with", I discovered the botched "Gustavx Krampik" that was derived from the perfectly clear handwritten "Gustav Krampetz" off the manifest.

The transcribers were rushed, tired - who knows. But I've found MORE THAN HALF that were improperly transcribed.

Anyone know if those other ports will ever be put online?

Bob K
Send e-mail
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:21 am      Post subject:

Rozalia,

Where do you know from about the name of town of last residence of Julian/Julius Ratasiewicz Question Do you have any documents with this town name you could show us here (by uploading scan of it) Question
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: