PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:05 pm      Post subject: Rug or Tapestry

I am intrigued by these patterns on the rug or tapestry behind my relatives here. These peoples surnames are Schmidt but living in Prussia and I don't know much more about them. I'm wondering whether the origins of the patterns on this fabric might give me some clues? I would very much appreciate any help!
Thanks a lot,
Juniper[/img]

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 12.39.11 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  280.33 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 12.39.11 PM.png

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:04 pm      Post subject: Re: Rug or Tapestry

JuniperWilde wrote:
I am intrigued by these patterns on the rug or tapestry behind my relatives here. These peoples surnames are Schmidt but living in Prussia and I don't know much more about them. I'm wondering whether the origins of the patterns on this fabric might give me some clues? I would very much appreciate any help!
Thanks a lot,
Juniper[/img]

Hi Juniper,
Welcome to the forum!
Thank you for posting this beautiful photo. It appears to be a four-generation photo. Do you know anything else about these women? Is there any writing on the back of the picture?
As you know, Schmidt is not a rare name and Prussia was enormous. Your question about the patterns is a very interesting approach to learning more about this family. There is an ethnographic museum in Warsaw; here is an interesting piece about patterns and forms in textiles but mostly from the perspective of clothing. Nonetheless, it may interest you:
https://artsandculture.google.com/story/patterns-forms-from-the-collection-of-the-state-ethnographic-museum-in-warsaw-the-state-ethnographic-museum-in-warsaw/YgWR-1MD3Ke4KA?hl=en
I wonder if you would try contacting them to see if someone there can recognize the motifs in the textile in your photo.
Sophia
JuniperWilde

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:03 am      Post subject: Re: Rug or Tapestry

Dear Sophia,

I really appreciate your reply!

Yes so I had a look at the back and you're right it is a four generation photo. From left to right / youngest to oldest:

- Daughter of Berta Mutschke (geb. Schmidt)- 12 yes old and born in 1924.
- Berta Mutschke (geb. Schmidt) - born 1897
- Berta Schmidt (geb. Pfarr) - born 1878
- Berta Pfarr (maiden name unknown) - born 1849

How they are related to me is Berta Mutschke's sister Frieda is the mother of Margaret Wilde who is my grandmother.

As far as I know I'm quite sure the photo was taken in or close to Grodziec Mały / Niederfeld. Anyways I'm not sure if that info is helpful at all but if you have any knowledge of history in that area I would so love to know.

That's a very interesting resource the ethnographic museum, thank you for sharing that I'll definitely keep refering to that as I look through more photos!

All the best and thanks again,
Juniper
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:46 am      Post subject: Re: Rug or Tapestry

JuniperWilde wrote:
Dear Sophia,

I really appreciate your reply!

Yes so I had a look at the back and you're right it is a four generation photo. From left to right / youngest to oldest:

- Daughter of Berta Mutschke (geb. Schmidt)- 12 yes old and born in 1924.
- Berta Mutschke (geb. Schmidt) - born 1897
- Berta Schmidt (geb. Pfarr) - born 1878
- Berta Pfarr (maiden name unknown) - born 1849

How they are related to me is Berta Mutschke's sister Frieda is the mother of Margaret Wilde who is my grandmother.

As far as I know I'm quite sure the photo was taken in or close to Grodziec Mały / Niederfeld. Anyways I'm not sure if that info is helpful at all but if you have any knowledge of history in that area I would so love to know.

That's a very interesting resource the ethnographic museum, thank you for sharing that I'll definitely keep refering to that as I look through more photos!

All the best and thanks again,
Juniper

Hi Juniper,
The photo is just magnificent, three Berta's and the next generation. You have a real treasure here. If I am following your notes correctly, Berta Mutschke's daughter was 12 years old in the photo, and she was born in 1924, so this photo is from 1936. The years that followed would have been horrendous, so it is all the more wonderful that you have this photo from a peaceful time, a moment of happiness worth preserving.
Here is some info for you regarding Grodziec Mały. If you go to Wikipedia, you see that Grodziec Mały had the German name of Klein Gräditz:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grodziec_Ma%C5%82y
Further, if you look up Klein Gräditz in Meyer's Gazetteer, you get lots of additional information:
https://www.meyersgaz.org/place/10985057
If you click on the tab for "map" you get a map with all the German place names. Compare this to today's google map, where the names are in Polish. That should get you well oriented to where everything is.
If you click on the tab labelled "ecclesiastical" you will see where the closest Catholic church is (Rabsen) and the closest Protestant church is (Glogau).
Depending on which denomination your ancestors were, you will have to look for records of birth/baptism, marriage and death/burial in the appropriate church records.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
JuniperWilde

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:58 pm      Post subject: Re: Rug or Tapestry

Dear Sophia,

Thank you so much for these resources and information. I also really love this photo, and am very intrigued by it. One day when I can get away for a while i'll get to Poland and do some proper research going through church records etc in the towns themselves. Until then I'll just have to gather as much information as possible online.

I appreciate you taking time to reply to my post.

All the best,
Juniper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Handicraft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: