PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 122

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:50 am      Post subject:

Interesting about the Famulki Krowlewski connection for your grandparents.

I think you do have to register to post on the Geneteka Genealodzy forum. The English translation button doesn't seem to work on all the sections. Because of my own inability to translate these sections without looking up virtually every word, I have not used them. There is one forum section in English at http://genealodzy.pl/PNphpBB2-viewforum-f-32.phtml

Fortunately, the records search is easier to navigate. One thing that I found helpful is that if I know both spouses last name, put one in the first box on the "person" line and the second one in the first box on the "or" line. (For me the "or" wasn't intuitive.) That will pull records containing both. In the second box on each of those lines you can add the first name.

Doing a couple of quick searches I found some more info that may be helpful. I will try to put that info into a private message email in the next couple of days.

Good luck.
forest109

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:29 am      Post subject:

It looks like you don't need to register to access the search portion, but it looks like there is other content that may require it. I tried entering a search for my grandfather, Adam Zielinski, in the same parish and province and didn't get a result, but when I dropped the first name I immediately got several hits for his parents (in Famulki Krolewski) and a couple of sisters whom I was unaware of, and another family name that is related to them in Norwich, so I need to check that connection. I don't know why he didn't show up, but I'll look into it. The search criteria uses modern day provincial names (and, I presume, their current geographical limits), so you still have to be able to "translate" the location based on 19th century place names (town, county, province, and even country) compared to present day town names and administrative divisions in order to know where you are, but that just adds to the fun. I use a map of Congress Poland (and a lot of Google searches of misspelled or partially legible place names) to figure out where they were from "then" and then pin it down (town, district, county, province) on a modern day map, and include both in my records so I'll be able to find my way there or point a researcher in (hopefully) the right direction. Anyway, it's a great website, and yes, anything else you happen to find would be fantastic!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: