PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:11 pm      Post subject: Gaikowski from the Kaszëbi region

I have done extensive research on my family tree from my home here in South Dakota, USA. I am however stuck. I am looking for relatives in Poland and I guess my first issue is this…

Am I spelling Gaikowski correctly or is it wrong due to the lack of international education back in the 1800’s? Phonetically it sounds like this “guy cow ski” or “guy cuss ski” depending on who you talk to. Those that still hang onto their Polish American Accent pronounce it the second way. I am told we were once from part of the Kaszëbi people.

The beginning of what I know of my family from Poland is as follows; however now I am looking for more brothers/sisters of either Joseph Gaikowski and/or Frank Gaikowski that either did or did not come to America.

My Great Great Great Grandfather Joseph F Gaikowski was born 1829 • Poland
My Great Great Great Grandmother Josephine (Miotke is the spelling in the USA) Muhlke was born in 1830 but I don’t know where.

His son
My Great Great Grandfather Frank Gaikowski was born 15 Sep 1852 • Kokoszkowy, Pomorskie, Poland
My Great Great Grandmother Eva Zakrzewski was born 12 Jan 1860 • Kokoszkowy, Pomorskie, Poland
They got married on 04 June, 1882 • Kokoszkowy, Pomorskie, Poland
And had one daughter in Poland Lucia "Lucy" Johanna Gaikowski(1884–1970) 20 APR 1884 • Kokoszkowy, Pomorskie, Poland

They came over on a ship called the Baltimore in 1886 He was 34 she was 26 and the Lucia maybe 2?
They had a total of 10 kids together here in the US.

I am of course at a stalemate with my research on these people. I am just trying and find an actual living relative still in Poland… and to find out any remaining family history I am not aware of. I have a person from my Grandmothers side but they are of no help because all of the elders have of course, passed on.

SO – after all of that explanation, Firstly I am especially curious about with the actual Polish Spelling of my last name ( GAIKOWSKI ) and once I have that confirmed or corrected, then I can move onto more research of the past.

Mostly, I am doing this for me, with my Father and Grandfather throwing bits of info that they find here and there.

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:15 am      Post subject:

Hi Andrea,
I think you should consider the spelling Gajkowski. The letters "Gaj" will sound to your ear like the English word "guy." The "kow" would sound like "kov" (rhymes with the English word "of") and I know what you mean about how people whose primary language is English tend to render "kowski" as "cow-ski" and those who are trying to get the pronunciation of "kowski" to be a bit more authenthic tend to sound like "cuss-ski". Follow this link https://translate.google.ca/?hl=en&tab=wT#pl/en/Gajkowski and click on the "listen" icon to hear how Gajkowski sounds. Actually, be sure to click more than once because the voice will say the name slowly and also at normal speed.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
[email protected]

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:57 am      Post subject: Thank you so much!

Thank you for this bit of information! I truly appreciate it and for the translation link too... it is such a treat to hear it in Polish! I am going to take this to my Grandfather and tell him what I have learned and see what he says Smile Thanks again!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: