PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:17 pm      Post subject: Alicz surname

Trying to determine where this name is from. In the US, I've only found relatives of mine that are descendants from one family that came to Milwaukee in 1866. I've only see 2 other records of people with that surname in Europe.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:30 pm      Post subject:

Hi chiguy60,
When a name is that rare, I wonder if it has been modified. Perhaps it was a longer name that the family found difficult to use in Milwaukee and so they shortened it. Any guess of mine would be just a wild guess, but as an example, there is a name Alichniewicz and your spelling of Alicz could be a reasonable short form for that. Have you got any documents such as a ship manifest or anything that would show the original name? If, indeed, this is not the original....
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
chiguy60

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:44 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Sophia.
I did consider that but I found a record for my Gr. Gr. Grandparents in 1853 Wawelno [Lindenwald] parish that has the name Alicz. Trying to determine where Paulus is from but not haveing any luck. Attached is a photo taken of a microfilm.

Paul and Napumocina Marriage 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.61 MB
 Viewed:  4705 Time(s)

Paul and Napumocina Marriage 01.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:42 pm      Post subject:

Good, that saves you from all kinds of unnecessary attempts to find a longer name! Alicz, I now think, is a Polish spelling for what would have been originally a German surname, and my best guess is that it was Alisch.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:56 am      Post subject:

This book appears to equate Alicz and Alisch:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=m84sAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA9&dq=alicz+alisch&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=alicz%20alisch&f=false
It is "Ortsnamenbuch der Steiermark im Mittelalter" which is a book of place names in Steiermark during the Middle Ages. Author Joseph van Zahn. Published in Wien (Vienna) in 1893.
I take it that Alisch was a town or village and that its spelling was also sometimes shown as Alysch and as Alicz. Perhaps your surname is an indication that your ancestors were from this area at some point. For a better interpretation of what the book is saying, you might try asking on the German Records Translations thread here on the forum. On that thread, Kmichael8 has been doing a great deal of translation work lately - - so nice to see it!
Best,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: