PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 34

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:25 pm      Post subject: Marriage in St Stanislaus Church or St Adalberts in Chicago

My great-great-great grandfather & mother, Anna Pupel & Frank Kerstein got married in, it says: St. Stanislas Church. on January 26, 1879 in Chicago, IL, USA. I'm trying to find a place where I can find the actual copy of the marriage record. I want to verify the parents of Frank Kerstein. Thanks!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:32 am      Post subject: Re: Marriage in St Stanislaus Church or St Adalberts in Chic

szynkiewicz wrote:
My great-great-great grandfather & mother, Anna Pupel & Frank Kerstein got married in, it says: St. Stanislas Church. on January 26, 1879 in Chicago, IL, USA. I'm trying to find a place where I can find the actual copy of the marriage record. I want to verify the parents of Frank Kerstein. Thanks!

Hi,

Records of the parishes of the Archdiocese of Chicago are available on the Family Search site. Not all are indexed and thus must be searched by browsing. Attached is the marriage record you asked about. It provides some very useful information like where the bride and groom were from in Poland as well as the length of time they have been in the USA.

The parish is St. Stanislaus Kostka.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Mar. p2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.64 MB
 Viewed:  13224 Time(s)

Mar. p2.jpg

Mar. p1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.79 MB
 Viewed:  13224 Time(s)

Mar. p1.jpg

szynkiewicz

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:16 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much for your help, what does the ending Skich mean? For example. Grabowskich. Is that feminine?
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:04 pm      Post subject:

szynkiewicz wrote:
Thank you so much for your help, what does the ending Skich mean? For example. Grabowskich. Is that feminine?

Hi,

Surnames ending in -ski or -cki in grammatical terms are adjectives. The ending -ich is the Genitive Plural and has the same form in all three genders (masc., fem., & neuter). In this case the ending is masculine and the case is Genitive which follows the preposition "z". Literally z Grabowskich means from the Grabowskis. It is giving Rozalia's maiden name which was Grabowska (with the Feminine ending "a"). The same is true of Katarzyna. Z Świątkowskich means her maiden name was Świątkowska.

Hope this helps.

Dave
szynkiewicz

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:06 pm      Post subject:

Thanks a lot! Also one more question... do you know where to find the name of a parish someone was married in if it does not state it on the marriage record. For example, my great-grandmother Helena Bolewska married Frank Zielinski, my great grandfather, in February 1915 in Chicago. Does not list a parish. Thanks!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:13 pm      Post subject:

szynkiewicz wrote:
Thanks a lot! Also one more question... do you know where to find the name of a parish someone was married in if it does not state it on the marriage record. For example, my great-grandmother Helena Bolewska married Frank Zielinski, my great grandfather, in February 1915 in Chicago. Does not list a parish. Thanks!

Hi,

The answer to your question about finding the name of the parish in which Frank Zielinski & Helen Bolewska were married is that there was a very easy way to find the parish name, now there is not, but it is promised that soon there will be. The old PGSA web site had a searchable index for all the marriages which took place in Polish parishes in Chicago until 1915---it worked great. About a year and a half ago the PGSA launched a new web site with the promise that the search engine for marriages would be up and running soon. It still is not. The promise is that it should be by the middle of this year. Promises, promises! I really wonder why I bothered to renew my membership. It is not unusual for revamped sites to experience problems but it makes no sense to me to launch the new site when many useful features of the old site are not ready to be incorporated into the new. I spoke to one of the board members who contacted me about giving a lecture at a quarterly meeting and I brought up the search engine problem and was told that many members had the same complaint and the expectation is that the search engine will be up and running by the middle of the year.

At the present time the marriage of Frank & Helen appears with the date of February 8, 1915 and lists the church as #63. Unfortunately, there is no way of which I’m aware to use that number to find the name of the parish. I do know that it is not St. Stanislaus Kostka and not St. Adalbert. If you know where they lived at the time of the marriage I could determine the likely parish. If not, I would be happy to find the name when the search engine is operational. There were about 40 Polish R.C. parishes in the city itself and more in the suburbs so without some idea of where they lived it would be very time consuming to search through the online parish records.

Sorry that I can’t be of more help.

Dave
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:59 am      Post subject:

If you have found a marriage license for them that gives the name of the priest who performed the ceremony, then you should be able to determine the name of the parish. Resources like online newspapers or even sometimes just a google search on the priest's name may be of help. Of course, Dave's route would be easier if only it were available. Best of luck,
Sophia
szynkiewicz

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:32 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much for your help! You have already been tons of help to me!
szynkiewicz

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:38 pm      Post subject:

I did try looking on the PGSA website just now and I do see the record, but I have to log in. Like you said, not working. Their ID number is #72153
szynkiewicz

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:39 pm      Post subject:

There also seems to be more than one, another ID for Frank Zielinski and Helen Bolewski is #68527
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:14 am      Post subject: Chicago Marriage Index Search

In order to log in it is necessary to be dues paying member. It still does not make any difference. The search engine is not working, and will not be for several months in the future. The reason there are two IDs is that the marriage is indexed first under the name of the groom and then under the name of the bride. Under both IDs the information (or lack thereof) will be the same. The first attachment is what you saw without logging in. Attached in two parts (because it is too large for one snip) is what is available to logged in members. The final attachment is promise of the search engine working.
I'm not sure what info will be available to non-members when the search engine is eventually working. On the old website the name of the parish was available to non-members. If you only need locations for this or other marriages when the search engine is working, I would be happy to look up that info for you to save you the cost of dues. My membership is good for another 20 months.

As Sophia wrote, a copy of the returned marriage license would give you enough info to determine the name of the church. Cook County marriage licenses have to be purchased from the office of the Cook County Clerk for a fee, which I believe is about $18.00. Another option would be to rent the LDS film of those records. There was a brief window of opportunity in 2010 when those licenses were available online on Family Search. The time was brief because when the County Clerk's office realized that info the office had for sale was on line gratis, Family Search had to remove those records. At a bare minimum the certificate portion of the license will contain the name of the priest with the address of the parish rectory where he resided. That address makes it easy to determine the name of the parish and thus locating the actual entry in the online Catholic Church Registers becomes a piece of cake. Attached is a copy of a typical Cook County Marriage License from the period. If you have a copy of the license and post it, I will gladly determine the parish where the marriage took place. As you can see in the attached example, the priest (Fr. Grembowicz) entered his address as 8237 Bond, which was the address of the rectory of St. Michael's Church in South Chicago.

Hoping that everything works out for you,

Dave

mar. lic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  861.75 KB
 Viewed:  13225 Time(s)

mar. lic.jpg

search1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.03 KB

search1.JPG

search2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.25 KB

search2.JPG

search3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.42 KB

search3.JPG

search4.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.48 KB

search4.JPG

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:32 am      Post subject:

Hi Dave and Szynkiewicz,

Here is another option, if you know the address at which the family was living at the time: http://www.chicagoancestors.org/advanced-search
The advanced search lets you select a neighborhood and ask it to flag where religious institutions were. You can even narrow it down to one denomination of interest. It is a great search tool!
Then you will know which of the 40 Polish churches was closest to the family's home. That may not necessarily be where they got married, but I would prioritize it in my search if I were looking.

Enjoy,
Sophia
szynkiewicz

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:27 pm      Post subject:

Frank was living on 45th and Marshfield in Back of the Yards with his parents most likely. Helena might have been living with her brother Jan Bolewski. His mother was Anastasia Domanska and father was Thomas Zielinski. Thanks!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:36 pm      Post subject:

szynkiewicz wrote:
Frank was living on 45th and Marshfield in Back of the Yards with his parents most likely. Helena might have been living with her brother Jan Bolewski. His mother was Anastasia Domanska and father was Thomas Zielinski. Thanks!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:01 pm      Post subject:

szynkiewicz wrote:

The wedding took place at Sacred Heart on Honore Street. The record is attached. Helen's parents were Jozef/Joseph Bolewski & Antonina/Antoinette Brzoska.

Best of luck in your continued research.

Dave

Zielinski-Bolewska Marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  710.36 KB

Zielinski-Bolewska Marriage.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: