PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:31 am      Post subject: Looking for info on Family - Gvillo, Radziejów

Looking for information on my 4x Great Grandfather "Ludger" or"Ludwig" Gvillo his birthdate was March 26, 1846 and came to the US in 1850 and came from Radziejow . There is no Info on the boys father since he was left with a family and never returned. Ludgers mothers was Frasiske Debrisco, which I'm sure the spelling is off but that's what I was giving to work with and she died in the old country and never made it to the US...

From the names I've searched nothing has came up and I'm sure Spellings have changed over the years and with little to work with, if anyone could lead me in the right direction or be of help I would appreciate it THANKS!!!!

IMG_2109.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  222.8 KB
 Viewed:  5966 Time(s)

IMG_2109.PNG

PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 181

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:48 am      Post subject:

Attached is the birth certificate.
Key pieces of information contained therein:
Place of Registration of Birth: Radziejów Date of registration: 14 April 1846
Place of birth: Radziejów
Father: Felicyan Giedwiłło - 39 years of age
1st witness: Felix Dąbrowski – 52 years of age (probably the father of Franciszka)
Mother: Franciszka Dąbrowska – 25 years of age
Date of birth: 26 March 1846 Given name: Ludger

This town can be found at 52.6267° N, 18.5257° E

Regards, Tom

Ludger Giedwillo Birth 1846.jpg
 Description:
Birth Certificate of Ludger Giedwiłło - 26 March 1846.
 Filesize:  285.23 KB

Ludger Giedwillo Birth 1846.jpg

Phillip

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:42 pm      Post subject: Looking for info on my family

As far as I am aware, my Great Grandfather, Phillip Barnett, was born in Wataralyset, Poland in 1849. He became a naturalised British citizen at some point afterwards and settled in Hackney, London, living in East London until February 1936. Could anyone give me advice on where I might be able to start my verification search (dates, places, surname origin, other facts), please?
Grateful thanks.

mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:42 pm      Post subject:

Phillip,

I reviewed what I think is your tree on Ancestry.com and related documents. All documents have Phillip Barnett born in Whitechapel or Spitalfields England, except one. The 1891 census is the only document indicating Poland and the handwriting is terrible. The village on this document does not seem to me to begin with "W" when I compare it to the handwriting in the rest of the document. Also, I searched for the village as you wrote it and there is no village by that name in Poland.

Are you sure he was born in Poland? Do you have other evidence? Documents? Family stories? Letters?

I found an earlier census for 1871 and Phillip was unmarried, 22 years old, and living at a boarding house in Whitechapel (see attached).

Here are my suggestions:

Perhaps you can get the full marriage record by contacting the parish mentioned in the marriage index that you have. His place of birth may be included in the full marriage record.

You can post the one document (1891 census) that shows Poland as birthplace and ask the forum for help in deciphering the handwriting. Perhaps Polish eyes can unravel the mystery of the village name. Do this in a new thread so it is not buried in this one.

If (not sure) Phillip was born in Poland, I suggest you search for passenger lists and immigration documents prior to 1871 since the census places him in London at that time.

And, if he was born in Poland, I found Polish surnames that sound similar to the anglicized surname of Barnett. Those Polish surnames are: Bernat, Bernatek, Bernatowski, or Bernet to name a few.

Best of luck in your research,
Cynthia

Phillip Barnett 1871 census.jpg
 Description:
1871 census Phillip Barnett
 Filesize:  854.87 KB

Phillip Barnett 1871 census.jpg

Send e-mail
Phillip

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:24 pm      Post subject: Phillip Barnett

Dear Cynthia,
I am really grateful to you for taking the time to research my family tree (yes, it is the one on Ancestry) and for your message.
I have a 1931 handwritten copy of my grandfather Barnett Barnett's birth certificate (incorrectly spelt Philip) relating to his birth at 102, Hare Street, Bethnal Green on 28/2/1887. Barnett Barnett was one of Phillip's 15 children and was my paternal grandfather. He clearly wasn't born in Poland, but I am led to believe that his father, Phillip, and also his father Hyman Barnett, may have been, although I have no dates or other physical evidence. They were all of Jewish descent.
I visited Krakow recently with my wife and we were told by one of the guides that so many Polish records of births, deaths, marriages, etc., were lost in the war, so maybe we'll never find out more.
Phillip's wife was a Sarah Phillips, surname spelling by coincidence, born 1853 (don't know where), and her father was Michael Phillips (no more details).
Barnett Barnett married Rosa Freedman (1890-1941), my grandmother, and I have traced her family back to Poland and other European countries, including a Harris Saunders born 1841 in Poland. His father was a Marcus Sandacz (derivative of Saunders presumably) also born in Poland, so it could be that the Barnett line, although Jewish and settlers in the East End of London, broke with their origins or connections for some reason. It may be the case that unless I can find more evidence, it is the Freedman family that originated in Poland and not the Barnetts. Anyway I will keep looking and will let you know if I discover anything.
Thanks also for the Polish surnames; other routes to explore!
Kind regards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: