PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 67

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:22 pm      Post subject: Help with research in Prussian partition

Hello,
A friend is searching for ancestral records from the Prussian partition. Her ancestor's names are Marianna Klawa, b 1872, and Marianna's mother and brother- Paulina Klawa née Glenc and Josef Klawa b 1874. Emigration was around 1880 and the ship manifest appears to indicate Leibschau and or Dirschau as the towns of origin. We believe those places correspond to the Polish town name Lubiszewo Tczewskie, but so far my search of the LDS records from that town for the date range of early 1870s did not show any Klawa surname. We also have not found the names indexed anywhere.

Any suggestions of where to look next would be appreciated!

Christine Stanley
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:51 pm      Post subject:

Hello Christine,

I also have ancestors I have been researching in Prussian Poland - it is not easy research! I have a couple of suggestions based upon my own experience. You may have already considered these options:

1. The surname Klawa is likely the Polish version of the surname possibly with an added "a" to denote the feminine. So, perhaps the Polish masculine version is Klaw. I did some searching and I think I discovered that the German version of the Polish surname Klaw is Klau. Perhaps those more knowledgeable of surnames in the PO community could check my work on this. However, it might help to keep that in mind when you are researching records in Prussian parish books. I know I missed my family surname in the books because I was looking for the Polish version in German books - I found them when I began looking at the German version of the name.

2. LDS only has the Roman Catholic parish books. You might want to look at the Evangelical Church books. After all, they were living in Prussia, which was mostly Protestant at the time. I came across the same issue with my family (which I thought was Roman Catholic) but I ended up finding in the Evangelical books after years of searching and not finding them in Roman Catholic parishes! I did some research and discovered the name of the Evangelical-Augsburg Church nearest Lubiszewo Tczewskie. Although it is located in Sopot (near Gdansk), it has a satellite chapel in Tczew. So, I would suggest contacting the main headquarters in Sopot to request records:

Parafia Ewangelicko-Augsburska
w Gdańsku
ul. Kościuszki 51
81-703 Sopot

They also have a website with an email form to contact the church:
http://www.sopot.luteranie.pl/index.php?go=contact

Best of luck in your research!
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:41 pm      Post subject:

Is your friend aware that Marianna's parents (Pauline Glenc and Joseph Klawa) immigrated to the U.S. in 1890 and lived in New York? Does she know that Marianna's brother, Joseph Klawa, died in 1895 at age 17 in New York (which places his birth around 1878)? Does she know that Marianna's father likely died between 1890 - 1892 because he is not listed with her in the NY 1892 census? I briefly saw this information in Ancestry.com and wondered if she was aware of it. If not, I am happy to look a bit deeper and provide the information and documents for her if she cannot do it herself.

Let me know via private email in PO,
Cynthia McDonald
Send e-mail
Cmstanley
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:01 am      Post subject:

Quote:

Best of luck in your research!
Cynthia

Thank you, Cynthia. Complicating things even more, we are starting to doubt "Leibschau" (the town name is smudged and hard to decipher.) Your suggestions are good general ideas about looking for the Germanized version of the name and checking the Protestant records, though, and I will pass that along.
Cmstanley
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:04 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Is your friend aware that Marianna's parents (Pauline Glenc and Joseph Klawa) immigrated to the U.S. in 1890 and lived in New York? Does she know that Marianna's brother, Joseph Klawa, died in 1895 at age 17 in New York (which places his birth around 1878)? Does she know that Marianna's father likely died between 1890 - 1892 because he is not listed with her in the NY 1892 census? I briefly saw this information in Ancestry.com and wondered if she was aware of it. If not, I am happy to look a bit deeper and provide the information and documents for her if she cannot do it herself.

Let me know via private email in PO,
Cynthia McDonald

I'm pretty certain she has all of that information and is just stuck on tracing back to Poland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: