PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:57 am      Post subject:

I assume you are referring to Galicy written on a ship manifest. Sometimes it will be in the Nationality or Country columns. Sometimes Galicia will be written, sometimes Austria, sometimes Austria Galicy, etc. I'm attaching a map of Galicia which existed 1846-1918. There are many other maps that you can find online. Kamień does not show up on this map, only the larger towns, but it WAS in Galicia. You can see Rzeszow on this map. You can also see Rzeszow on the map that I sent of Jeżowe and Kamień. Rzeszow is less than 25 miles from Kamień.

Galicia/Galicy was also part of what is now the Ukraine. The borders changed a great deal over the years. On the map you can also see the Kingdom of Poland north of Galicia. That is NOT the country of Poland, it's Russian ruled Poland. After WWI (1918) Poland became a country again. Often you will see Polish people in the 1910 census who give their birth place as Austria. In 1920 many of those people will give Poland as their birth place, sometimes not since it wasn't a country when they were born. When I'm searching the census, sometimes I try both places. Galicia could be given for a birth place in the census as well.

Galicia map.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.78 KB
 Viewed:  4142 Time(s)

Galicia map.jpg

NB_Roots

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:52 pm      Post subject:

Its been a few weeks, but I was able to do some further digging at the city library and found the New Bedford Death Records for all the Nickowals I could track down to my family based on the same Mother and Fathers in the death records. I was just wondering if anyone might be able to steer me to the proper Polish spelling of these towns so I might be able to go online and find their original towns.

Farther: Josep Nickowal (Stipmia, Poland) or (Stougowa, Poland)
Mother: Magdalina Dunaj (Slinik, Poland) or (Stougowa, Poland)

Children…
Waleria Nickowal (1878, Wisnowo, Poland)
Jacob Nickowal (1878, Poland)
Jan Nikowal (1886, Stougowa, Poland)
Stephania Nickowal (1885, Poland)

I believe the first Nickowals who arrived were John Groblicki and his wife Waleria Nickowal around 1895, but Im still working on a ships record. Jan Nickowal followed around 1899, then his possible brother Jacub Nickowal 1907 and his wife Mary Tomavzowska and daughter Valeria born in 1906.

On the Olzsowy front; thanks the ships record you found, I identified a Walenty Sondej that married a Katerina Olzsowy who later came to new Bedford. There was also a Jacub Olzsowy and a Agnes Olzsowy that marries a Luca Sikora. Both Jacob and Agnes Sikor quickly disappear from new bedford without death or census records.

As these are death records I don’t know how correct the spellings or locations are, the older records had the towns listed, newer ones just said Poland.

I am not sure if any of those addition town names or the Groblickis and Sondej might help narrow things down. They seemed to marry in Poland, but come over separately or with extended family, I can’t find new Bedford marriage records for most of them.
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:46 am      Post subject:

NB_Roots wrote:
Its been a few weeks, but I was able to do some further digging at the city library and found the New Bedford Death Records for all the Nickowals I could track down to my family based on the same Mother and Fathers in the death records. I was just wondering if anyone might be able to steer me to the proper Polish spelling of these towns so I might be able to go online and find their original towns.

Children…

I believe the first Nickowals who arrived were John Groblicki and his wife Waleria Nickowal around 1895, but Im still working on a ships record. Jan Nickowal followed around 1899, then his possible brother Jacub Nickowal 1907 and his wife Mary Tomavzowska and daughter Valeria born in 1906.

On the Olzsowy front; thanks the ships record you found, I identified a Walenty Sondej that married a Katerina Olzsowy who later came to new Bedford. There was also a Jacub Olzsowy and a Agnes Olzsowy that marries a Luca Sikora. Both Jacob and Agnes Sikor quickly disappear from new bedford without death or census records.

As these are death records I don’t know how correct the spellings or locations are, the older records had the towns listed, newer ones just said Poland.

I am not sure if any of those addition town names or the Groblickis and Sondej might help narrow things down. They seemed to marry in Poland, but come over separately or with extended family, I can’t find new Bedford marriage records for most of them.

i think it could be Wiśniowa, Stępina and Glinik in Świętokrzyskie voivodeship because those places are close to each other

the surname could be Niekowal

mapa.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.17 KB
 Viewed:  4142 Time(s)

mapa.JPG

Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:57 am      Post subject:

NB_Roots wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone might be able to steer me to the proper Polish spelling of these towns so I might be able to go online and find their original towns.

Children…

I believe the first Nickowals who arrived were John Groblicki and his wife Waleria Nickowal around 1895, but Im still working on a ships record.

NB_Roots,

The places names sound familiar to me. I would say these are:
Stipmia - Stępina
Stougowa - Pstrągowa
Slinik - Glinik
Wisnowo - Wisniowa

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/WWrfHBGfVp62

My family comes from this region and I know that there are still living Niekowal families in Wiśniowa. As you can see on this map from among only 117 bearing Niekowal surname in the whole Poland 27 (16+11) of them live in that area.

Good luck in your search!
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: