PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:36 pm      Post subject: Place names in Polish Russia

Having recently discovered my G.Uncle Budzinski's Petition for Citizenship and his WWII draft registration, I find contradictory claims for his town of origin in Russia Poland.

As best as I can decipher, the Petition lists the town name as: Brzesckayawski.

20 years later, as best I can decipher, the name is: Sawelno

In attempting to interpret these names, I find myself running in circles and I'm hoping someone with greater familiarity with these names may offer some insight.

Thank you!

Enlargement Vincent WWII DraftRg.jpg
 Description:
WWII draft registration
Born in Sawelno
 Filesize:  70.5 KB
 Viewed:  12023 Time(s)

Enlargement Vincent WWII DraftRg.jpg

Enlargement Vincent Petition 1919.jpg
 Description:
Petition for Citizenship circa 1918
Born in "Brzesckayawski
 Filesize:  249.57 KB
 Viewed:  12023 Time(s)

Enlargement Vincent Petition 1919.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:11 pm      Post subject: Re: Place names in Polish Russia

JGwizdowski wrote:
Having recently discovered my G.Uncle Budzinski's Petition for Citizenship and his WWII draft registration, I find contradictory claims for his town of origin in Russia Poland.

In attempting to interpret these names, I find myself running in circles and I'm hoping someone with greater familiarity with these names may offer some insight.

Thank you!

Hi,

On the petition the place name is Brześć Kujawski and on the WWII Registration the village is Sawilno. Brześć Kujawski is about 17 km or 11 miles from Sawilno and was one of the larger towns in powiat Włocławski so there is not real contradiction in the place names. The village of Sawilno belonged to the parish of Zgłowiączka. You are in luck in that the parish records are online at https://genealogiawarchiwach.pl/ The years given for his birth have not been indexed but you can browse the records. The only fly in the ointment is that the the year of his birth is not certain so you may have to browse several years of birth records. The records are in Russian but for that parish the names of the parents and the child also appear in Polish.

Wishing you success in your quest,

Dave
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:56 pm      Post subject:

Dave... thank you so very much! This is great information for me to move forward on. Thank you!
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:23 pm      Post subject:

Dave...I had to follow up and thank you again for the link you provided a couple of weeks ago.

While I have not had any luck so far with my original target "Budzinski," I made some remarkable strides on my Koscinski line, finding several birth records for my grandmother's siblings. It's taken me 20 years to get to this point! If only the internet and online availability of scanned records had been available back then!! Smile

One question I have in using https://genealogiawarchiwach.pl/ search techniques...
When I searched for "koscinski" I was returned 3 hits which, I believe so far, are another branch of Koscinski's.

However, when I searched for "Kościński" using the Polish characters, I was returned with 115 hits!

This got me thinking: what am I missing when searching other ancestors names by using the Americanized spelling? I wouldn't even know what to use for, say Budzinski, or Gwizdowski, etc.

Any additional insight into the naming conventions used in these searches are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks Again!
Joe Gwizdowski

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:32 pm      Post subject: Re: Place names in Polish Russia

dnowicki wrote:
JGwizdowski wrote:

Thank you!

Hi,

On the petition the place name is Brześć Kujawski and on the WWII Registration the village is Sawilno. Brześć Kujawski is about 17 km or 11 miles from Sawilno and was one of the larger towns in powiat Włocławski so there is not real contradiction in the place names. The village of Sawilno belonged to the parish of Zgłowiączka. You are in luck in that the parish records are online at https://genealogiawarchiwach.pl/ The years given for his birth have not been indexed but you can browse the records. The only fly in the ointment is that the the year of his birth is not certain so you may have to browse several years of birth records. The records are in Russian but for that parish the names of the parents and the child also appear in Polish.

Wishing you success in your quest,

Dave

Joe and Dave,

Wincenty's birth record is nr. 54 in image nr. 14, 1879. Interesting,his father is presented as Dudzinski.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:13 pm      Post subject:

Gilberto...I am astonished by your skill at this! Was the father's name Ludwig Dudzinski?

The Budzinski/Dudzinski names have been a constant source of confusion for me. When Bushia (as we called her) remarried after her 1st husband died, she said her maiden name was Helena Budzinski, and carried that name with her.

But on her first child's birth record, her name was Dudzinski. Uncle Vincent Budzinski was her brother, but she also had a brother Antoni Dudzinski.

To add to my confusion, I am hard pressed to figure out how to find "record is nr. 54 in image nr. 14, 1879" Even though you point me in the right direction, I am lost. Whoa is me! Smile

I just can't figure out how to get from here to there! May I plead your indulgence a bit more?

This has been a 20 year quest...thank you!
Joe Gwizdowski

Magroski49

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:31 pm      Post subject:

JGwizdowski wrote:
Gilberto...I am astonished by your skill at this! Was the father's name Ludwig Dudzinski?

The Budzinski/Dudzinski names have been a constant source of confusion for me. When Bushia (as we called her) remarried after her 1st husband died, she said her maiden name was Helena Budzinski, and carried that name with her.

But on her first child's birth record, her name was Dudzinski. Uncle Vincent Budzinski was her brother, but she also had a brother Antoni Dudzinski.

To add to my confusion, I am hard pressed to figure out how to find "record is nr. 54 in image nr. 14, 1879" Even though you point me in the right direction, I am lost. Whoa is me! Smile

I just can't figure out how to get from here to there! May I plead your indulgence a bit more?

This has been a 20 year quest...thank you!
Joe Gwizdowski

Joe,
Parents are Wawrzyniec Dudziński and Ewa Okoński. Recorded at June 25 / July 6 (gregorian and julian calendars).
Go to www.genealogiawarchiwach.pl
Type Zgłowiączka in Town Field (all names must use polish characters)
type 1879 in Date field (shows 71 results/images)
On the right side, under Options, select Show Thumbnail
Wait untill image nr. 14 is loaded then click on it.
Wait untill the image is fully loaded and then click on Launch Zooming
on the right side of the image click on the Download button
on the right side will appear Pobierz 1. click on it
type the words that will appear and then in Download register
once the download is registered, click in Download.
the image will be saved in your computer
now you can edit the image, saving - if you want - only your ancestral record.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:32 pm      Post subject:

With your help, I found it! Thank you so much. It is late here, and this is my second attempt to respond, so I think it best for me to turn in, but not before letting you know how very much I appreciate your help!

Ewa Okoński is reference in several of Busia and Vincent's U.S. documents, so I am convinced this is the right Wincenty. The names Budzinski and Dudzinski intertwine throughout my research...Busia also had a brother Antoni Dudzinski.

As for the father, both Busia and Vincent reference their father's name as Ludwig. Is Wawrzyniec a common/convenient Americanization of Wawrzyniec?

I have more questions, but hesitate to impose on your generosity. I will make another donation to P.O. and wonder if I might contact you offline.

Meanwhile, both I and my Uncle Vincent thank you so very much!

Best,
Joe Gwizdowski

Vincent-HS.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.11 KB
 Viewed:  11875 Time(s)

Vincent-HS.jpg

Magroski49

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:21 pm      Post subject:

JGwizdowski wrote:
With your help, I found it! Thank you so much. It is late here, and this is my second attempt to respond, so I think it best for me to turn in, but not before letting you know how very much I appreciate your help!

Ewa Okoński is reference in several of Busia and Vincent's U.S. documents, so I am convinced this is the right Wincenty. The names Budzinski and Dudzinski intertwine throughout my research...Busia also had a brother Antoni Dudzinski.

As for the father, both Busia and Vincent reference their father's name as Ludwig. Is Wawrzyniec a common/convenient Americanization of Wawrzyniec?

I have more questions, but hesitate to impose on your generosity. I will make another donation to P.O. and wonder if I might contact you offline.

Meanwhile, both I and my Uncle Vincent thank you so very much!

Best,
Joe Gwizdowski

Joe,

Wawrzyniec is usually rendered as Lawrence.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:55 pm      Post subject:

Yes! I just found Vincent's 1913 marriage record and he lists his parent's names as Laurence [sic] and Eva.

The curiosity now is, why/how did the name Dudzinski turn in to Budzinski. Perhaps it's not important.

Thank you again so very much!!!

Magroski49

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:30 pm      Post subject: D

JGwizdowski wrote:
Yes! I just found Vincent's 1913 marriage record and he lists his parent's names as Laurence [sic] and Eva.

The curiosity now is, why/how did the name Dudzinski turn in to Budzinski. Perhaps it's not important.

Thank you again so very much!!!

Well, I am afraid things will get a bit more confusing. I have found a birth record for an Ewa Okonska, born in 1842, in Klobia (5 miles from Zglowiacka). record #45. This Ewa married in Klobia, in 1862, to Wawrzyniec........Dudczak!!!
(her parents are the same on both records, so it is the same Ewa). This Ewa's age matches with you Ewa.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:47 pm      Post subject:

BINGO!!

One of the last things Busia told my aunt...her youngest daughter, was that she was really a DUDCZAK! My Bushia's oldest brother, Antoni Dudzinski, had a large family when they came to the U.S. Somewhere along the way, and I have not figured this out yet, his sons adopted the name DUDCZAK.

Gilberto... you are genius and have brought this riddle of mine full circle.

From about 1926 onward, Bushia claimed her maiden name was Budzinski.

Between 1907 and 1926, her documents claimed Dudzinski. HerBrother, Antoni, went by Dudzinski, but later reverted to Dudczack. Her other brother Wincenty was born Dudzinski but adopted/changed to Budzinski after arriving in the U.S.

Bushia's name was Helena Dudzinski/Budzinski/Dudczak. How can I know which one to pick?

I am looking at my handwritten notes from 2002 when I questioned Aunt Lorraine about Bushia. Here is where I have a note "Budzinski/Dudczak"

This is getting VERY exciting...the hunt is on!!

Thank you, Gilberto!!!

Magroski49

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:54 pm      Post subject:

JGwizdowski wrote:
BINGO!!

One of the last things Busia told my aunt...her youngest daughter, was that she was really a DUDCZAK! My Bushia's oldest brother, Antoni Dudzinski, had a large family when they came to the U.S. Somewhere along the way, and I have not figured this out yet, his sons adopted the name DUDCZAK.

Gilberto... you are genius and have brought this riddle of mine full circle.

From about 1926 onward, Bushia claimed her maiden name was Budzinski.

Between 1907 and 1926, her documents claimed Dudzinski. HerBrother, Antoni, went by Dudzinski, but later reverted to Dudczack. Her other brother Wincenty was born Dudzinski but adopted/changed to Budzinski after arriving in the U.S.

Bushia's name was Helena Dudzinski/Budzinski/Dudczak. How can I know which one to pick?

I am looking at my handwritten notes from 2002 when I questioned Aunt Lorraine about Bushia. Here is where I have a note "Budzinski/Dudczak"

This is getting VERY exciting...the hunt is on!!

Thank you, Gilberto!!!

Joe,
Helena Dudczak, born in Zglowiacka, in 1887, record 53. which year Antoni was born?

Gilberto
Send e-mail
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:05 pm      Post subject:

That must be she! I've always had to estimate her birth year at 1888, based on census data, birth records, etc.

Bushia was sensitive about her age and the older she got, the later her birth year became. But as I move back in time...the earliest until this new discovery of yours, 1888 is where I have landed. I'm so excited by your find that I can barely contain my excitement. I really was getting close to admitting that I would never find anything about Helena's origins.

Now, you have given me a great gift! I must go see these two documents!

Dziękuję Ci bardzo

Helen_Zecman.jpg
 Description:
Helena Dudczak/Dudzinski/Budzinski/Zecman/Masiak
 Filesize:  24.78 KB
 Viewed:  11875 Time(s)

Helen_Zecman.jpg

JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:08 pm      Post subject: Antoni Dudzinski Birthyear

As best I can establish, Antoni Dudzinski (or was it Dudczak?) was born in 1875
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: