PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:40 pm      Post subject: Trying to find out what happened to family from Suchawola

My great-grandfather Francizek was born in Suchawola, Podlaskie in 1887 to Michal and Antonina Kopanska. He had three known siblings, Albin, Piotr and Marianna. Albin and Piotr were still living together as of 1926. My grandmother either never knew or didnt remember anything about any Polish cousins. I am curious about what happened to them.
megsiek86

Replies: 47

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:18 pm      Post subject: Suchowola

Hi skuridat,

I'm not sure where you are writing from and if I am connecting this to the right town - but a few years ago, on Australian Who Do You Think You Are a celebrity called Andrew Denton travelled to Suchowola to trace his Jewish family who had decided not to leave Poland in the 1920s and 1930s. Parts of his family had emigrated to England and Israel and he went to Poland to see who he could find there now. It was one of the most heartbreaking episodes of the show (of any version) that I have ever seen. Unfortunately, as they were Jewish, they ended up being sent to Treblinka, which is a Nazi death camp and his whole family that had stayed in Poland were wiped out. I'm not sure which religion your family belongs to, but the Jews have remembrance books where surviving family members wrote down what happened to their families. I don't know if they are available online, Andrew was shown the one for Suchowola while he was there visiting the town.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: