PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 59

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:48 am      Post subject: Time Period of Picture of Grandmother & Sister

Recently, I obtained a copy of a picture of my grandmother and great-aunt. However, we cannot determine when it was taken. To further complicate matters, the sisters lives many miles apart. Neither had much money. So, how did one of them afford to visit the other.
I would appreciate if someone could give me a ballpark guess of when this picture was taken.
Thanks,
Mary Pate

Frances and Magdalena Kaminski, Sisters.jpg
 Description:
What timeframe could this picture have been taken?
 Filesize:  104.84 KB
 Viewed:  10290 Time(s)

Frances and Magdalena Kaminski, Sisters.jpg

JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:25 pm      Post subject:

I have done this frequently with my own family's old photographs...and am inevitably wrong. But that won't stop me from taking a guess! Smile

Based on skirt style and length, the purses they are holding I would guess 1940's. But the backdrop would suggest older? Where women carrying purses like that in the 30's?

Do you know the birth years? That would help put it into context. It will be good to hear from someone who has more knowledge on dating photos so I can know just how far off I am.

Where is Sherlock when we need him!
Joe

Mary Pate

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:54 pm      Post subject: Time period of picture

My grandma and great aunt were born in the 1870's.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1026

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:22 pm      Post subject:

Hi Mary,
That is a great picture! While people in America tend to wear wedding rings on their left hands, people in Poland tend to wear them on their right hands. The right hand is visible for both women here, and I do not see a ring on either, but maybe you can look at your photo more closely, to check. If you know when the first one of the two women married, you may be able to deduce that this photo was taken prior to that. Helpful?
As for traveling, it would not have been uncommon for sisters to visit each other. They may have decided to get a photo taken together to send to another, more distant, family member.
Sophia
Mary Pate

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:33 pm      Post subject: Timeframe of picture

Thank you Sophia for a very inciteful reply. Magdalena was the first to marry in 1893. My grandma, Frances married in 1897, both in same church. My question is, does this look like a picture taken in eastern Galicia in early 1890's? Before the first wedding Frances would only have been about 14 yrs old. She looks older than that on pic. Any more ideas? What timeframe does their dress suggest?
Thanks again
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1026

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:56 pm      Post subject:

Hi Mary,
To me, the photo seems to be more in the range of years 1900-1910. Perhaps neither of them wore a ring, or it simply does not appear clearly enough in the photo. Neither of them has greying hair yet, so I do not think they are in their late 40's or 50's yet. I do see that the woman on the left is wearing pearls. They may or may not belong to her; I think that sometimes things we see in photos were props provided by professional photographers. I am assuming this was a professional photo, based on the background, which l think is one of those painted photography backgrounds.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia

Last edited by Sophia on Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Mary Pate

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:32 pm      Post subject: Timeframe of picture

Thanks again, Sophia. I did check that website out. Informative. I was thinking (that could be dangerous) that maybe picture was taken in the year 1900. Rings aside, my grandma and grandpa immigrated to the U.S. in 1900. Maybe this was kind of a going away re with her sister. My great aunt didn't not come to America until 1907. This time of the picture could be 1900.   Pearls and even purses could be props as you said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: