PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:03 pm      Post subject: surname Prus

Greetings !

I just found my ggrandfather's sister,Rozalia Braciszewski,b 1867,her brother, Martin b.1864.
Also found that she had another name, Prus. I don't know where it came from.
martin and Rozalia's parents were Marcin Braciszewski and Cecylia Koteras,married in 1849--Poznan Project.

Rozalia married Vincenty Sarnowski on Sept.10,1895 at St. Stan's Church,Buffalo NY.

The only Prus i could find was Maciej Prus and Anna Klawiter,and dau.Fraciszka Prus 1821.
Our Braciszewski family was from Slawno,Wielkopolskie,Poland.
I don't know where these other Prus family members are from.

They say many Prus names are Jewish.Is that correct ?

Mainly,I'd like to know where her Prus name came from and if I can give you any other info,let me know Thanks, Marie
Send e-mail
Marcia Feinberg

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:56 am      Post subject: Prus name

Hello,
I am not related to any Prus but it was also a name of the nobility Prus. A Marya Pruszynska married Dominik Czarnecki and they are both buried along with their son in Kaczanowka, Skalat, Ternopil province Ukraine. Marya died in 1839. The Czarnecki's owned Kaczanowka in the 1800's. Prus may have originated from Prussia? Did you google the Prus name? You will see it has one faction with the nobility attached to it. With their coat-of-arms. I hope this helps...Marcia
rrwhite

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:32 am      Post subject:

Hi,

Prus is a very common name in Poland, Marcia is correct, the name basically means "Prussian". Prussian settlement of Poland started as early as the 1200s, mainly along the Vistula river. Given that surnames in Europe became more prevalent after the 13th century Prus would have been used for anyone who came from or was Prussian.

Given that she was 28 at the time of the marriage, I would guess it was her married name. I have looked on Ancestry and found a tree that contains records for a Josef Prus born in Germany(Poland), who married a Rozalia Braciszewska.
Quote:
Civil registry Łekno entry 29 / 1879 Joseph Pruss Rosalie Braciszewska and Catholic parish Mieścisko [Mietschisko/Markstädt] entry 9 / 1879 Joseph Prus (26 years old) Rosalia Braciszewska (18 years old) - from Poznan Project

They travelled together to the USA aboard the ship named 'Salier' and arrived in New York on the 15 May 1880.

I hope this helps.

Btw I am related to a Prus originating from Pniewo, Mazowieckie and my stepfather is also a 'Prus' (Prieß, the German variant of the name).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: