PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:58 pm      Post subject: Martinus Braciszewski

Hello !
I am looking for a birth or death notice of my gggrandfather Martinus Braciszewski. He was married to Cecelia Koteras,25 in 1849,Slawno,Wielkopolskie, Poland

He was 24 years old. I hope you can find his death certificate and I would like to find his parents also if they are on it.
I obtained the above information from the Poznan Project,but no parents or other information is found.
Thank you if you can find anything. I want to know if I am in the correct Braciszewski tree. Any advice would be welcomed.

Kind regards,
Marie
Send e-mail
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:34 am      Post subject: Re: Martinus Braciszewski

deidre wrote:
Hello !
I am looking for a birth or death notice of my gggrandfather Martinus Braciszewski. He was married to Cecelia Koteras,25 in 1849,Slawno,Wielkopolskie, Poland

He was 24 years old. I hope you can find his death certificate and I would like to find his parents also if they are on it.
I obtained the above information from the Poznan Project,but no parents or other information is found.
Thank you if you can find anything. I want to know if I am in the correct Braciszewski tree. Any advice would be welcomed.

Kind regards,
Marie

Hello Marie:
Will want to confirm this, but I found a marriage record here...

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSX8-CSK8-8?i=752&cat=735404

...that may be your gg.grandparents. It's record 17. Looks like Martinus was 25 and Cecilia 26 married 10 Nov 1849. I'm having a difficult time reading the script, but may list the parents names and give a better age indications to search on.

Hope this can help!
Joe

Braciszewski-Koteras_Marriage_1849_3Q9M-CSX8-CSK8-8.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.65 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Braciszewski-Koteras_Marriage_1849_3Q9M-CSX8-CSK8-8.jpg

deidre

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:15 pm      Post subject: Marriage certificate

Dear Joe,
It's definately them !
WOW !! Can't believe you found this thanks a million !
Looks like his father's first name is Franciscus,but the records on his marriage probably don't go back so far.
Do you know where i can find go write to find any more records going back ?
Please let me know if you do.I surely appreciate your work.It's been all cor
rect so far !! Kind regards,Marie
Send e-mail
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:32 pm      Post subject:

Hi Deidre:
I found an 1823 birth record for (I think) a Michael Koteras from Slawno, parents Casimir and Catharina Cierniazka.

My spelling is highly suspect as I have a great deal of trouble reading this old script, so have this corroborated.

But, the time-frame is about right, and if this is Cecilia's sibling, then her record might not be far off. Here's the link, look at record 50...

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSVF-QQ8Q-W?i=887&cat=735404

Here's another Koteras record from 1821 - record no. 22 - for the birth of Marianna, parents look like Bartholomew Koteras and Margantha ??? (can't make it out.) They must all be related?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSVF-QQ6P-B?i=871&cat=735404

I'll try and send you leads as I may come across them, if you'd like.

Regards,
Joe

deidre

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:01 pm      Post subject: Koteras line

Joe,
It may be.I don't know much about the Koteras line.Marianna sounds familiar and Stephan (?),but not sure.
I am just doing my paternal line..Braciszewski.Martinus and Cecelia had a son, Martin,b1864,Slawno,Wiekopolskie and a dau. Rozalia,1865 ?.Martinus didn't come to US,just Martin and his mother in 1884.I wonder if I could find a death certificate for Martinus?
Rosalia married a Prus,Pruss from Poland.he died and she came over to US and married Walenty or Vincenty Sarnowski in Buffalo NY.
Do they keep death records in Poland ? I would love to get Martinus' death certicate.Maybe Slawno?? where they were married ?
Thanks again and again ! Marie
Send e-mail
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:21 am      Post subject: Re: Koteras line

deidre wrote:
Joe,
It may be.I don't know much about the Koteras line.Marianna sounds familiar and Stephan (?),but not sure.
I am just doing my paternal line..Braciszewski.Martinus and Cecelia had a son, Martin,b1864,Slawno,Wiekopolskie and a dau. Rozalia,1865 ?.Martinus didn't come to US,just Martin and his mother in 1884.I wonder if I could find a death certificate for Martinus?
Rosalia married a Prus,Pruss from Poland.he died and she came over to US and married Walenty or Vincenty Sarnowski in Buffalo NY.
Do they keep death records in Poland ? I would love to get Martinus' death certicate.Maybe Slawno?? where they were married ?
Thanks again and again ! Marie

I came across the Koteras listings incidentally while scanning for Braciszewski during those years. I didn't come across any of that name. That doesn't mean it's not there, just that if it is, I missed it. I could be that Martinus wasn't born in Slawno. On the marriage record, following his name, might be a reference to Dębnica, which could refer to a couple of places, I think.

You might ask for a full translation of this record...I'm sure I'm missing much of the nuances in the Latin script.

In the meantime, here's a link to SLawno baptism records for 1866-81. I couldn't find the years just prior, but it's very possible there were other births in the ensuing years. It doesn't look like the records have been indexed, so it will require going through page by page and scanning the records for Slawno and the surnames and/or given names you are seeking.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSX8-CSJB-3?i=125&cat=735404

I didn't see any death records for years during which Martinus likely passed: 1860's to 1880's. Perhaps there's another source that someone might know of. I found all these digitized films on familysearch.org.

The hunt is on!
Best,
Joe

Braciszewski-Koteras_1849.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  833.71 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Braciszewski-Koteras_1849.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:54 am      Post subject: Re: Martinus Braciszewski

deidre wrote:
Hello !

Kind regards,
Marie

Marie,

The records of the Braciszewski-Koteras marriage and of the birth of Cecylia Koteras were posted on June 6, 2017 as a response to your post of the same day. Even if you don’t acknowledge responses to your posts you should at least check for responses. By not doing so and by posting another request for the same information you caused Joe to spend the time and energy needed to needlessly search for records which had been posted almost a month ago.

I’m not sure where you see the name of the father of Marcin as Franciszek. No parents’ names are recorded in the marriage entry.

Contrary to my initial inclination to not bother and to not waste my time, I translated the marriage record and two Koteras birth & baptism records and am posting the translations in the Latin Records Translations section of the forum where Joe posted a request for the Braciszewski-Koteras marriage translation.

The research strategy for more records posted on June 6 is still valid. It does not allow for the research to be done from the comfort of home but sometimes the only way to accomplish the research is to physically go to where the records are available. Here is the earlier posted research strategy:

Marie,

From what you posted I'm not clear whether you have the actual marriage record. In case you don't, it is attached. According to the record both sets of parents gave their consent for the marriage and thus must have been alive in 1849. Records for the parish are available online at Family Search. There are two sets of registers which have been filmed---the ecclesiastical copy and the civil transcript. The ecclesiastical copy can be viewed online from the comfort of home. Unfortunately, birth records from 1844 to 1866 are not available on the films of the ecclesiastical copy. They are found on the civil copy. Unfortunately, the only way to view the civil copy is to visit a LDS Family History Center or to sign in as a member of a supporting organization. My recommendation to find Marcin's (the younger, who immigrated to the U.S.) birth record and the birth records of any siblings would be to go to a Family History Center to view the images of the records. I did look for Marcin's (Sr.) and Cecylia's birth record and believe that I located hers in 1822.

Please try to be more aware of responses to your posts in the future.

Thank you.

Dave
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:54 am      Post subject: Re: Martinus Braciszewski

dnowicki wrote:

Marie,

The records of the Braciszewski-Koteras marriage and of the birth of Cecylia Koteras were posted on June 6, 2017...
Thank you.

Dave

Hi Dave...
I'm afraid I'm an example of "a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous" syndrome Smile

I've learned so much from all the good people here, and my attempt to offer help to Marie was an attempt to "give back" in some small way, but also to test my ability to dig in to new and unfamiliar territory. I, too, missed the other post that had already provided the record. Still, I learned from the exercise...I just need to temper my enthusiasm!

I still have the feeling of being a kid in a candy store. After 25 years of searching, and being nearly resigned to thinking I'd never find my ancestor's origins, I have been fairly consumed with rushing in and gobbling up all that I can. Now I just need to convince my wife that this obsession will temper...with time! Smile

Again, many, many thanks to all the great people of Polish Origins!
Dziękuję bardzo!
Joe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: