PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:40 am      Post subject: Help with family surnames Lipska and Pelszynski

My great grandmother Thecla Lipska (dob: around 1866) emigrated to Philadelphia December 1906 with 4 of her daughters: Maryanna, Jadwiga, Anna, and Stefania. Another daughter, Michalina, was sent to her sister Julia in 1905 - also to Philadelphia.

My grandmother Stefania's birth certificate states she was born in Zubole in 1898. She was the youngest.

Thecla emigrated 1 year after her husband died. I have no other information about him other than my grandmother said he was a vet and his name was Jan.

Thecla's father's name was Jan Pelszynski. I have no more information about him nor do I know her mother's name.

I am having a difficult time trying to find any information either regarding the surnames of Lipska and Pelszinski, and, any information as to where they had lived or any other family members. Immigration forms only state Poland or Russian Poland.

I would greatly appreciate any information/help.

Thank you all.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:35 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

I did some looking around and found records in Ancestry.com for Michalina, Tekla, and her daughters. You probably already have most of this information. It sounds as if you already have Stefania's birth record from Zubole. Michalina's passenger list also lists her birth place as Zubole. So I would begin there.

Here is some information about Zubole: "Zubole [zuˈbɔlɛ] is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Trzcianne, within Mońki County, Podlaskie Voivodeship, in north-eastern Poland.[1] It lies approximately 3 kilometres (2 mi) north-west of Trzcianne, 11 km (7 mi) south-west of Mońki, and 43 km (27 mi) north-west of the regional capital Białystok."

None of the online databases I searched had records for Gmina Trzcianne except Family Search (LDS) who had the Jewish records only, and Geneteka which had a very limited range of years and very few Lipski/Lipska - none of which fell in your date range. If you know that your family was Jewish, then you can order the films from Family Search website and have them sent to a family research center near you and you can review them. Here is the link to the page for the film and the summary information from family search:

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/299534?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Family Search only has 1 film of records for Trzcianne and those are Jewish records:

• Poland, Białystok, Trzcianne (Mońki) - Jewish records
(This family history center has 1 of 1 films/fiche.)
Akta urodzeń 1871, 1872, 1875, 1880, 1883, 1885, 1888-1914 Akta rozwodów 1898, 1900, 1902, 1906-1919
Family History Library
International Film

If your family was Roman Catholic, then it seems you will have to make direct contact with the parish serving Trzcianne (in archdiocese of Białystok and Dekenat of Mońki). Here is the address, phone, email, website, etc.:

Parafia pw. św. Apostołów Piotra i Pawła
ul. 3 Maja 33
19-104 Trzcianne

telefon: 85-738-50-08
telefon/fax: 85-738-50-94
e-mail: [email protected]
web: www.parafiatrzcianne.pl

Księża pracujący w parafii
Ks. Kazimierz Skorulski - proboszcz
Ks. Sebastian Barwiejuk - wikariusz
Ks. Jacek Ingielewicz - wikariusz

Finally, I am attaching an interesting document I found in Ancestry.com that records the interview occurring between Tekla and the immigration officers upon arrival in Philadelphia.

Oh, I also found the Immigrant Bank Record in which Wladyslaw Iwanicki deposited money for the purchase of Michalina's passage to the U.S. The record was sourced through Jewish Records Indexing project, and the bank was Rosenbaum bank - one of several Jewish banks operating near the harbor serving the immigrant community in Philadelphia.

Wishing you the best in your research.
Cynthia

32228_B028198-00365.jpg
 Description:
Tekla Lipski immigration interview
 Filesize:  1.73 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

32228_B028198-00365.jpg

Send e-mail
Samigrl

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:42 pm      Post subject: Lipska/Pelszynski

Thank you Cynthia.......you are correct that I have the documents you mentioned in my family tree.

Unfortunately they are the only documentation so far. My family was/is Roman Catholic.

What I did not have and I thank you for is information about where to ask/look for more information in Poland so I appreciate the email address. I might have some difficulty though as I do not speak or understand Polish nor do I have any relatives who speak/understand Polish.

I think we may have communicated through Ancestry at some point through the DNA project. Is that possible?

Again thank you for your help.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: