PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:07 pm      Post subject: Francis Joseph Nicklewski

Hi I am trying to trace my father. Francis Joseph Nicklewski. I know that he was born in Poland (possibly) in Tymowa, in 1921. He was in the military (possible a submariner) and was stationed in Scotland (possibly at Thurso) during WW2. He married in 1950, at which time his surname changed to Nickel, and immigrated to Australia in 1951. I found 2 versions of his marriage certificate, one in the name of Nicklewski and another with the name of Nickel. I also found an index to his application for naturalization in the National Archives but the document is "Closed for 100 years" the reason given as "Contains sensitive personal information which would substantially distress or endanger a living person or his or her descendants". Francis never talked about his past and we have no other information about his family or his time in Scotland. I would love to hear from anybody who can help further my discovery.
PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 181

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:12 am      Post subject:

Jannine,
Have you made an actual formal application to the National Archives for his files ? i.e. his immigration file as well as his naturalisation file.
If they redact the sensitive information, they may still be able to release some pages.
Tom
Poltrace

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:13 am      Post subject:

I have put in an FOI request for his naturalisation file. I haven't found any reference to his immigration file but I will keep looking. Thank you for responding.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:35 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

I found 2 possible villages named Tymowa:

1. Tymowa [tɨˈmɔva] is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Czchów, within Brzesko County, Lesser Poland Voivodeship, in southern Poland.

Family Search (LDS) has microfilms that include births for 1920s. If you live near a family history center, you can order the films online and review them at the center. Here is the link:

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/819218?availability=Family%20History%20Library

2. There is one other Tymowa, but I have not located online records for it yet:

Tymowa [tɨˈmɔva] (German: Thiemendorf) is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Ścinawa, within Lubin County, Lower Silesian Voivodeship, in south-western Poland.[1] Prior to 1945 it was in Germany.

Hope this helps,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:25 pm      Post subject:

And don't discount the (highly likely) possibility of incorrect recording of place names. So also include the 2 Tymawa villages in the north and north east of Poland. One in the Pomorskie region, the other in the Warminsko-mazurskie region.
Tom
Poltrace

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:12 pm      Post subject:

This is fascinating, it must have been really hard work without the internet.
Poltrace

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:30 pm      Post subject: Camp165

I am so impressed by the detail that people are providing. Thanks to Krzysztof sending me a name change notification I now believe that Franciszek was based at Camp165 in Wattern Scotland until 1948. This would tie in with Francis's vague references to living near Thurso, and the total secrecy about his work.
Poltrace

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:19 am      Post subject:

Hi, I have attached a photograph of Francis, sorry it's a bit blurry. Does anybody recognize the uniform?

Franciszek Jozef Niklewski.pdf
 Description:
Franciszek Jozef Niklewski

Download
 Filename:  Franciszek Jozef Niklewski.pdf
 Filesize:  608.74 KB
 Downloaded:  324 Time(s)

PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:49 am      Post subject:

Definitely Navy.
So I started with the sleeve - either Polish (Sub-Lieutenant) or British (Sub-Lieutenant or Warrant Officer).
Then I tried to make out the badge on the cap. Googled British and Polish Navy caps. I think that it is Polish.
So Polish Naval Sub-Lieutenant would be my response.

Tom
Poltrace

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:03 am      Post subject:

Thank you
Poltrace

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:52 am      Post subject: Francis Joseph Nicklewski

A big thank you again to all who have helped me.
What I have discovered is that the Josef's family were born and bred in Tymawa.
From Josef's naturalization records I know that his service No. for the Polish Forces in the UK = 67743/80/I, his PRC Service No. = 30013871 and his alien reg cert No. = 362463, but I cannot find any information about his service in the Polish navy. He also had an older brother Alphons (Alfred) Niklewski in the Polish forces in the UK who remained after the war and another brother Wladyslaw who died on the Eastern front in 1943. If anybody can help with any more information I would be very happy.

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:04 am      Post subject: Re: Francis Joseph Nicklewski

Poltrace wrote:
A big thank you again to all who have helped me.
What I have discovered is that the Josef's family were born and bred in Tymawa.
From Josef's naturalization records I know that his service No. for the Polish Forces in the UK = 67743/80/I, his PRC Service No. = 30013871 and his alien reg cert No. = 362463, but I cannot find any information about his service in the Polish navy. He also had an older brother Alphons (Alfred) Niklewski in the Polish forces in the UK who remained after the war and another brother Wladyslaw who died on the Eastern front in 1943. If anybody can help with any more information I would be very happy.

Tymawa belonged to Gniew parish. there are a lot of Niklewski's there. For example Alfons Adam Niklewski was born in 1903. If Your grandfather was born in 1921 then you have to ask for his birth certificate in Gniew community Registry Office. If you want me to do this please write to me private message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: