PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:34 pm      Post subject: How can I determine online records availability

Sometimes I find myself running in circles. Geneteka shows a index birth record for Michal Duczak in 1788 for Lubraniec but I'm unsure where to go to find this. Perhaps it's not available online, though FamilySearch has some records from that town and year, but only at a Family History Center.

I still get pretty confused by all the different online records holdings and could use a bit of help Smile

Here is the Geneteka link: http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=B&w=02kp&rid=B&search_lastname=dudkowski&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=

...with a screen shot of the line of interest to me.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated...thank you!
Joe

Michal Dudczak.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.76 KB
 Viewed:  4410 Time(s)

Michal Dudczak.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:46 pm      Post subject: Re: How can I determine online records availability

JGwizdowski wrote:
Sometimes I find myself running in circles. Geneteka shows a index birth record for Michal Duczak in 1788 for Lubraniec but I'm unsure where to go to find this. Perhaps it's not available online, though FamilySearch has some records from that town and year, but only at a Family History Center.

I still get pretty confused by all the different online records holdings and could use a bit of help Smile

Here is the Geneteka link: http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=B&w=02kp&rid=B&search_lastname=dudkowski&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=

...with a screen shot of the line of interest to me.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated...thank you!
Joe

Joe,

The records for the parish of Lubraniec are available at https://genealogiawarchiwach.pl/ If you hover over the next to the last icon on Geneteka the following will appear: “Remarks: dane z sumariusza” (“Remarks: given from the summary”). All you will see on the actual scan will be a series of names of those born/baptized in that year. There is no other info available there.

The historical reason for the summary is that after the Third Partition in 1795 that area was under Prussian control and I believe that the Prussian authorities had the parish priests compile summaries or lists of the names of births & baptism for the years prior to 1795. Remember that the Prussian authorities were interested in those lists not for the actual birth data but so they could get a handle on who to tax and who to conscript for the military.

In 1807 the area became part of the Duchy of Warsaw where the records from 1808 through 1815 were kept in the Napoleonic long paragraph style. After 1815 that part of Kujawsko-Pomorskie come under Russian control and remained that way until after WWI. The Russian Partition (Królestwo Polskie) maintained the long paragraph style of records.

The summaries are not super helpful but at least they can be used to verify ages as found in later records of individuals listed in the summaries.

Hope this explanation helps.

Dave
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:00 pm      Post subject: Re: How can I determine online records availability

dnowicki wrote:

...Hope this explanation helps.

Dave

Dave, thanks so much for this good information. As always, very comprehensive and of great assistance in helping to understand how to navigate all these old records!

One final question...do you think the actual records from which the indices were created exist elsewhere?

Thanks again!
Best,
Joe

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:33 pm      Post subject: Re: How can I determine online records availability

JGwizdowski wrote:
dnowicki wrote:

...Hope this explanation helps.

Dave

Dave, thanks so much for this good information. As always, very comprehensive and of great assistance in helping to understand how to navigate all these old records!

One final question...do you think the actual records from which the indices were created exist elsewhere?

Thanks again!
Best,
Joe

Joe,

It is very possible and even probable that the records you want do exist. The records that are online via the link were made available online about 2 years ago as part of a project done by the Polish National Archives in Toruń. The actual physical copies of the books are most likely housed in the Włocławek branch of that archive. Often there are multiple copies of the records housed in various archives. On Family Search there are two sets of Catholic Church records which have been filmed. One set is the civil transcripts and the other set is the parish registers. The parish register films containing births for the year you would need have been digitized and can be viewed online. Unfortunately, to view them online one would need to be a member of the LDS church or to access the records at a LDS Family History Center or an affiliated public library. Some years are not digitized and are available only on films. Unfortunately, film rentals will be discontinued on September 1, 2017.

When you search the catalog on Family Search it is helpful to pay attention to the film notes as those notes state where the films were made. The civil transcripts for Lubraniec were made at the Polish Ntional Archives in Bydgoszcz and at the Archives of the Diocese of Włocławek and thus they are from copies other than those found via yesterday’s link. The parish registers were filmed at the Archives of the Diocese of Włocławek. This info tells you that the copies of the registers on Family Search are not the same as those online available via the link. All this basically means that more than one copy of the records exits and that sometimes it is necessary to check several places when looking for a given set of records. Also, it is possible that a copy of the records housed in the diocesan archives also exists in the parish itself.

A hint on where to learn where LDS films were made….Under film notes look for the sentence which begins “mikrofilm zrobiony...” (English translation: “Microfilm was made...”

Good luck with your search.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: