PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:48 am      Post subject: Looking for the meaning of my Last name SIKON

Hello,
I need some help to get information about my last name SIKON,
My grand father was born in Poland in 1910 and have immigrated to France.
We was told by some members of family that the initial name of our gran'father ended with something like -SKI (it seems that the last name was cutted by mistake by france administration and due to war context the granfather kept it)

We are wondering the signification of SIKON, and especially what could be the initial last name? sikonki?sikocinski?
I read that Sikocinski could have more sens as it means 'From Sikucin region'

Could someone please help?
Thank you in advance,
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:55 pm      Post subject: Re: Looking for the meaning of my Last name SIKON

Anne_s wrote:
Hello,
We was told by some members of family that the initial name of our gran'father ended with something like -SKI (it seems that the last name was cutted by mistake by france administration and due to war context the granfather kept it)

We are wondering the signification of SIKON, and especially what could be the initial last name? sikonki?sikocinski?

Thank you in advance,

The surname existed. Census 1990. Just 11 people. No further information.
Bielskie, Gdanskie, Jeleniogorskie, Katowickie, Krakowskie and Nowosadeckie.
Nazwisko Ogólna liczba Rozmieszczenie
Sikon 11 BB:4, Gd:1, JG:1, Ka:2, Kr:1, NS:2

Gilberto
Send e-mail
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:24 pm      Post subject: Re: Looking for the meaning of my Last name SIKON

Anne_s wrote:
Hello,

Thank you in advance,

Just a thought, but you could go through each province on http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl and search for Sikon. There are many potential variations, such as the following...

http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=D&w=71wa&rid=D&search_lastname=Sikon&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=

This yields the name Sikońska. Knowing the given names, and area they came from will help. You might get lucky...I did! Smile

Good hunting!
Joe

JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:26 pm      Post subject:

Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:55 am      Post subject: Re: Looking for the meaning of my Last name SIKON

Anne_s wrote:
Hello,

Thank you in advance,

The name Sikon as well as Sikonczyk occurred quite often in the 17th century in the district of Nowy Targ at the foot of the Polish Tatra mountains, a region with a high emigration rate, also to France. The name Sikonczyk and Sikon occurred, according to a book by Jozef Bubak, predominantly in Bialy Dunajec, but was also found in several other nearby villages. Without being blood related, I have a Jan Sikon in my family tree, but no further information on him except for that he was my 2nd great-grandmother's (born abt. 1821) former husband. The family lived in Banska, pow. Skrzypne (now Szaflary-Banska in the district of Nowy Targ, Poland).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: