PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:32 pm      Post subject: Mitkowski surname search

I’m trying to find out where my great grandfather grew up in Poland, my 1st grandfathers surname was Anthony A Mitkowski and his fathers name was Alex or Alexander Mitkowski. Also any information on the surname is welcome and appreciated as well (including: Politicians,Religious Leaders,Laborers, Lumberjacks, Mechanics, Engineers,Military, Miners, or any kind of jobs careers or newspapers with the name in it), or anyone that might have have been associated with that surname. Thank you. -Bęnjamin
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:56 am      Post subject: Re: Mitkowski surname search

Benmitkow wrote:
I’m trying to find out where my great grandfather grew up in Poland, my 1st grandfathers surname was Anthony A Mitkowski and his fathers name was Alex or Alexander Mitkowski. Also any information on the surname is welcome and appreciated as well (including: Politicians,Religious Leaders,Laborers, Lumberjacks, Mechanics, Engineers,Military, Miners, or any kind of jobs careers or newspapers with the name in it), or anyone that might have have been associated with that surname. Thank you. -Bęnjamin

Hello Benjamin:
Without knowing what information you have, is this Declaration of Intent for your grandfather? Draft card indicates he was born in Łomża.

AlexMitkowski-WWII Draft.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.96 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

AlexMitkowski-WWII Draft.jpg

AleksanderMitkowski-Declaration.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  561.87 KB

AleksanderMitkowski-Declaration.jpg

JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:49 am      Post subject: One more clue...perhaps...

WWI Veterans Compensation card....Alex lists...
birthplace - Prezna (Poland) Russia
Mother's name - Victoria Marozuniak
Father - Konstanty

41744_182029006040_0935-01174.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.21 MB

41744_182029006040_0935-01174.jpg

Wiktor

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:02 pm      Post subject: Mitkowski

Try finding here
https://goo.gl/pn76Y2
Wiktor
Benmitkow

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:53 pm      Post subject:

JGWizkowski thank you! This is what I was looking for. So I do have a little bit of Russian blood. Never knew. I appreciate the time and effort you took to get this information! Na zdrowie! -Benjamin
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:26 pm      Post subject: Where is Prezna ?

Benmitkow wrote:
JGWizkowski thank you! This is what I was looking for. So I do have a little bit of Russian blood. Never knew. I appreciate the time and effort you took to get this information! Na zdrowie! -Benjamin

The history and peoples of Poland is complicated. Your ancestors may have been subjects of Czar Nicholos, but they likely spoke Polish and followed Polish customs. My own ancestors claimed Russian, Austrian, and Prussian citizenship, but they were proud Poles.

I haven't been able to find any information on a town by the name of Prezna. Town names changed as the geopolitical borders changed. Perhaps someone on the board here, familiar with the geography, might have some ideas of the location of Prezna. That could lead to some further discoveries of your ancestors.

Best,
Joe

Benmitkow

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:16 pm      Post subject:

Also Joe,and thank you again! The WWII Draft card and The Veterans Compensation doctuments were the correct “Alex”, I’m not sure about the Decleration of Intent on the “Alexander” spelling of the first name, because it mentions Germany. But it very well could still be him, I’m hoping he wasn’t trying to get out of Germany or experimented on at all because I’ve heard rumors about that,and that was my intentions of finding out if they did something to his genetic code at a young age,sounds a bit far-fetched I know, because he did have a lot of psychological issues of anger from what my father told me about (could have also very well just been from the war unfortunately) I also know my fathers side has the “Twin gene” because my father has a twin brother,the Nazis wanted twins to experiment on, I’ll read all of what the declaration states, and what it is asking for right now after typing all this. I think it’s intresting how the city names have changed, I was aware of it when researching the deep geopolitical roots of Poland and it’s defiantly caught my interest. Also, that is very interesting about Czar Nicholos,I’ll have to do more research on him now. Very much appreciated again!

-Bęnjamin

JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:27 pm      Post subject:

Benmitkow wrote:
I’m not sure about the Decleration of Intent on the “Alexander” spelling of the first name, because it mentions Germany.

-Bęnjamin

Benjamin, The Declaration of Intent doesn't mention Germany other than Bremen, which was simply the port of departure. The Declaration states he is a citizen of Russia and that his last residence was Poland.

Also, don't be confused by the spelling of the given name. Alexander is the "Anglocised" spelling of Aleksander.

Benmitkow

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:01 pm      Post subject:

JGwizdowski wrote:
Benmitkow wrote:
I’m not sure about the Decleration of Intent on the “Alexander” spelling of the first name, because it mentions Germany.

-Bęnjamin

Benjamin, The Declaration of Intent doesn't mention Germany other than Bremen, which was simply the port of departure. The Declaration states he is a citizen of Russia and that his last residence was Poland.

Also, don't be confused by the spelling of the given name. Alexander is the "Anglocised" spelling of Aleksander.

Joe,my apologies for not replying in a bit, but very true. Also, even more apologies,a bit new to all of this, the birth dates are slightly off on two of the documents,the month is correct on both and the day is off by only by one the year is 1893 on one and the year on the other is 1898 I believe, but times were more grueling back then,and that’s an understatement,I do expect some slight marginal errors with things like that. Thank you again. -Bęnjamin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: