PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 15

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:11 pm      Post subject: Cadastral map for Galicia

Hello

Question

Cadastral maps house # and the Church records of the village. Would the house #'s coincide with each other ?

Thank you
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:10 pm      Post subject:

In the few cases for my ancestral families, the answer is yes. The cadastral house numbers were the same as those in the church records. That stayed true for a long time...over a century, in the few cases I researched.
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:53 pm      Post subject:

Where can I find those maps? Either House #, or in church records.. I've not seen any church records with house numbers.

Bob K.
Send e-mail
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:53 pm      Post subject:

Bob...I can't tell you were to find cadastral maps. I spent a lot of time on Google and various Polish sites looking for historic Polish maps and occasionally run across some, but have lost those links. Once I found one, I had to spend a LOT of time looking at every square inch of the map to locate the house numbers I was looking for.

As far as church records go, many I found include house numbers in them. Look under the column (Latin records) "Numerus Domus". I even found one marriage record that cited (after translating) that the groom moved “from the groom's house #138 to the bride's house #41", which turned out to be where her parents were living. In other words, he went to live with her wife's family.

Once you find the cadastral map, and have found the house in question, then you can go to Google Maps and do what I did with the image here, where my grandfather was born. It turned out that the house numbers had not changed from when the 1848 map was created and when my grandfather was born in 1891.

Sietesz Maps.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  498.88 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Sietesz Maps.jpg

BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:16 pm      Post subject:

Thanks,, You gave me enough clues to do a search.. I'd heard of those type of maps, but never considered that they could be of much help, as I'd never seen a church document (I have a number of them) where a house number was mentioned.

But I'll be sure to start looking. Most records I have were written in Polish, even for the German ancestors I'm looking for. It's likely that the few that are registered in Catholic churches would be minimal requirement (date, name, parents names, 'witnesses') I've never seen one written in Latin for the evangelicals (Lutherans) that did use a Catholic church to register birht/death/marriage.

I'd searched "Cadstral maps" in Google and got many choices, one being "cadastral maps poland" and lots of sub-results with that one.

This google find:
[PDF] THE CADASTRAL SYSTEM IN POLAND
www.eurocadastre.org/pdf/.../05_Cadastral%20system%20in%20Poland%20OK.pdf
Real estates placed in the Russian partition were not embraced by a unified land cadastre. The lack of
complete coverage with maps for this area was a major ...

Hints to me that I won't find any cadastral maps for the villages I seek in the Russian partition!! .. Crying or Very sad

Bob
Send e-mail
aleksanderz
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 56

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:23 am      Post subject:

Some of the cadastral maps can be located "offline" in the local archives. Let me know which towns/villages interest you and I will try to find them (you could request that the archives would scan them for you)
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:43 pm      Post subject:

http://www.halgal.com/house%20number.html
Quote:
When I visited the village of my ancestors, I asked several people about the House Numbers. No one remembered any of the house numbers assigned during the Austrian rule. However, some residents did remember that the numbers assigned in the years between the wars, when the region was controlled by Poland, replaced a previous system. However, after WWII, the houses in these three villages were changed yet again. Some of the older residents even remembered their own House Number from before the Second World War.

With the information found on the cadasters and on the associated maps, I was able to follow the streets of my ancestral village since they did not change at all in the last 160 years!! I was able to walk up and down the streets and know exactly who lived in these houses over one hundred years earlier. Of course, most of the houses were newer, as the village was the scene of some of the most fierce fighting during WWII. However, from meeting the residents, I discovered that often the SAME family lived in the house.
Polskamom

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:11 pm      Post subject: Re: Cadastral map for Galicia

Janicki1968 wrote:
Hello

Question

Cadastral maps house # and the Church records of the village. Would the house #'s coincide with each other ?
Thank you

The numbers on Austrian cadastral maps were assigned by the Austrian government and are not the actual addresses of the homes in the villages; cities are a different story. In order to find out who owned a particular property on the maps you also need the index (operat). The index cross-references the actual house number/owner with the number on the map.
The Austrian government numbered the houses and land sequentially starting from one end of the village whereas homes in many villages were not numbered sequentially but as they were built so you might have house # 5 next to house # 320 and across the street from house # 58.

Depending on the village, the house number may have changed over time. Many villages numbered their houses according to when they were built or rebuilt (in the case of fire etc) and not sequentially. When comparing cadastral records (indexes) to church records you need to pay attention to the dates. You should also locate as many records as you can to see if, by chance, your ancestral home was renumbered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: